Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike Security - Best of a bad situation

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Bike Security - Best of a bad situation Reply with quote

Afternoon all,

After having my last bike nicked in March 2017, I've decided I'd like to get back on two wheels. Trains are tedious and unreliable!

I live in a flat and only have an allocated parking space (no real garage options that I'm aware of). I have attached pics of the area I can use, my car is the white Skoda. The space next to mine is not used by my neighbour and I'm sure she'd be willing to let me use it. The white car to the right is an Audi, yes it always parks like a cunt.

There's a large tree trunk I could wrap a chain around, but I was thinking of something more crazy than am Almax. Perhaps a length of some heavy duty haulage chain? Then lock the bike to that? I'm not really keep on locking a chain to a wheel of the car, I'd most likely forget to remove it!

Any other suggestions?

I'll be using a cover and additional disc locks etc.

EDITED TO INCLUDE EXTRA PICS THAT DIDN'T ADD!

Last edited by LustyLew on 16:29 - 16 Apr 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dig a hole by fence inbetween two tree's, pour concrete in and install ground anchor, cut leaves on left of picture down and park bike inbetween with black cover over.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiders.

I hope you are not afraid of them.

Big chain around tree sounds too easy.

Then you bike chain through that.

Trees do not walk very fast.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:20 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you be able to get away with a small shipping style container to use as a 'shed'. Won't stop everyone, but gives you some good options.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Bike Security - Best of a bad situation Reply with quote

[quote="LustyLew"There's a large tree trunk I could wrap a chain around, but I was thinking of something more crazy than am Almax. Perhaps a length of some heavy duty haulage chain? Then lock the bike to that?[/quote]

Where does one get heavy duty haulage chain from?

Sounds like a decent enough plan though, depending on the cost per meter of the chain it may be better to do the concrete pot with a drainpipe through, then buried.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, i would get the biggest flower pot you can get, fill it with concrete and mount a ground anchor in it. It needs to be big enough that it is a pita to move, ie can't just be dragged away or lifted up.

Then you can put as many chains/disc locks as you can afford to 'prevent' the next theft.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
Personally, i would get the biggest flower pot you can get, fill it with concrete and mount a ground anchor in it. It needs to be big enough that it is a pita to move, ie can't just be dragged away or lifted up.

Then you can put as many chains/disc locks as you can afford to 'prevent' the next theft.

Flowers would die over the winter. Sad

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:38 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:

As always, best method if permanent anchors are no.

2 D locks, remove the lock, keep the U shape.

fill bucket with concrete, put one D in, leave a gap big enough to get your chain through, 2nd D over the top, turn it 90 degrees, so you essentially pass through 2 loops, it looks cooler that way. Big chain, 19mm almax or similar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:45 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine an angle grinder would go through most U locks quicker than BodyTard goes through usernames.

I like the idea, but I I'd want something that makes Scrotey McGrinder think he's better off moving on to the next victim.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:59 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'd imagine an angle grinder would go through most U locks quicker than BodyTard goes through usernames.

I like the idea, but I I'd want something that makes Scrotey McGrinder think he's better off moving on to the next victim.

Agree, but hopefully thats what mr Almax does too.

The only realistic way to keep your bike safe is either live on your own island or sleep with the bike in the house.

At least I'd have chain + solid object and boggo basic NCS alarm with a cover... other than that, you just have to hope that scrote doesn't fuck the lock because you've angered him enough.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:14 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point. Just be sure to put the chain through the rear wheel and lock it to itself, not to the U bars, so even if they slice the bars they'll still have to deal with the chain.

Of course, they could just take a (literal) minute to grind through the chain in the first place. Sad

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:24 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the above situation - if I had a container or similar, then an alarm with CCTV system (which alerted me inside and ideally where ever I am) in said container, I'd be reasonably confident.
Doesn't have to be too silly expensive and hopefully a good chance of keeping (or even adding to) value if you wanted to sell.

If you don't have anyone that can go and disturb scrotes when you're away they the best you may get is watching them stealing your bike - but in most other circumstances should have a very god chance.

Could add a very bright strobe, some sort of smoke bomb and blank firing shot gun shells to further make it 'easier to move on'.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:31 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

my added security is the fact they have to get it past 2 cars in the driveway blocking the way... unless they can lift the bike over them Very Happy

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Security is always beatable if the attack is determined and resourceful.

Hydraulic bolt cutter less than £100 practically silent apart from when the chain link goes bang. But that can easily be muffled using rags etc.

£100 is not a bad investment for a £12k + bike.

A bolt cropper is maybe useless against properly hardened steel.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something? I don't see either cars Crying or Very sad

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.

container is a no no. I still need to be able to park my car in my space and Audi-cunt parks at an angle because people have a habit of blocking him in (and is my neighbour).

Bin/plant pot might work, but again, limited on size as I don't want it to be obtrusive. I'd need to be able to move it easily enough should other neighbour want her parking space back.

I could dig out some of the 'flower bed' to sink a ground anchor in. Would need to look inconspicuous. I have seem some that your 'drill' into the soil. So would dig out to a depth I can get to (probably 6" with all the shit in the ground), drill one or two of these 'anchors' in (at 45 degrees if possible), fill with concrete and install bike anchor. If anything it would give the effect of tree roots if they tried to pull he concrete out?

My logic with the tree is it's be a fair effort to get through the trunk.

We're talking Suzuki Bandit territory so hardly a prize steal. Though they did steal my Kawasaki Versys! Laughing

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Am I missing something? I don't see either cars Crying or Very sad

Sorry! Had gone full retard last night - was most likely distracted by the cat chewing the laptop!

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:57 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cutting times here: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=323906

It's not clear to me from the pics if you can park your Skoda in such a way that it would block the bike. Granted, it would be a bit of a pain to get the bike out every time...

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 17:38 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not able to install something like this?

https://whatshed.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/88-x-6-Trimetals-MCG960-Motorcycle-Metal-Garage-Open-Doors.jpg

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:45 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch our for planning permissions. Some councils have been very aggressive on forcing residents to get rid of much smaller sheds that were installed for pushbikes (eg the supposedly green Brighton Council).

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:

Whilst a very good idea, plopping one of them in a parking bay, on its own screams break into me!

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 18:34 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

LustyLew wrote:
Jayy wrote:

Whilst a very good idea, plopping one of them in a parking bay, on its own screams break into me!

There's smaller versions of that and you could paint it up / chuck a throw over it to blend in against the tree? Think if I had no other options, I'd rather have a little shed like that and make it harder than just having the bike on display and openly there.

https://i.imgur.com/pD9AFrF.jpg

I'd get the smallest version of it, fit it in there, paint it dark green and maybe even some kind of camo cover or something. Then I would whack one of them cheap £20 battery motion sensors inside it, plug the chimer inside my house and you got a pretty good alarm system to alert you if anyone has managed to break in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1byone-Wireless-Driveway-Infrared-Receiver/dp/B01710MOZ0/

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon all,

Digging this up a bit.

So I've had a closer look at my surroundings and I think I could get away with parking the bike in front of the property (see attached).

The black box is the front of my flat, the windows are lounge and both bedrooms.

The Red and yellow boxes are possible parking spots.

Red
Pro: More out of the way Not on grass. Wont be in peoples way
Con: Away from bedroom. In plain sigh of next block main entrance.

Yellow
Pro: Close to bedroom. Not particularly in the way. Further away from adjacent block.
Con: Will need 50% of the bike on grass. At risk from cars bumping it when maneuvering out of parking spaces. Easier to see from the road.

Installing an anchor onto the wall of the building is out of the question. Installing any kind of permanent fixing is also a no go.

I'm leaning towards the yellow area, whilst using the concrete flowerpot idea. I was thinking I could install something like this into the nearest flower bed, then cut a hole into the bottom of the pot with a few chain links embedded into it. Lock the pot to this to stop the pot being lifted/moved.

This would be better as I could install an IP camera to watch the bike over-night from the bedroom but also move the whole set-up should the management company get a bit pissy with the location I have chosen.

Whatever I ask of them, it's always "we're not sure..." It's taken them over 6 months to fix leaking guttering!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:05 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

LustyLew wrote:
I could install an IP camera to watch the bike over-night from the bedroom

Why? A dummy camera would do exactly the same job as a deterrent.

Can you get it right up to the wall in the yellow area? Throw down some slabs or a mat or grid on the grass.

The management goons are only going to care what you do if a neighbour bawwws to them. You might want to canvas them all first to see if you've got a curtain twitcher.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 08 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Why? A dummy camera would do exactly the same job as a deterrent.

Can you get it right up to the wall in the yellow area? Throw down some slabs or a mat or grid on the grass.

Most likely I could! I was thinking of putting down some of that grass protector matting.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2