Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can you still have L plates after passing your test?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:46 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a learner was to cut an L-plate to less than the legal size, they would be nicked for not having an L plate.

Therefore, if you were to stick a cut up L plate on bike and then ride with a fulll licence, you wouldn't be riding with an L-plate on....

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:08 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
If a learner was to cut an L-plate to less than the legal size, they would be nicked for not having an L plate.

Therefore, if you were to stick a cut up L plate on bike and then ride with a fulll licence, you wouldn't be riding with an L-plate on....

Again, trying not to delve deep into this hypothetical thing i thought of, just the actual red L on the front/back of a bike. that actually might be funny on something like a Turbo'busa or some other "hyper-bike". like seeing a Lamborghini with proper learner plates,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:

Again, trying not to delve deep into this hypothetical thing i thought of, just the actual red L on the front/back of a bike. that actually might be funny on something like a Turbo'busa or some other "hyper-bike". like seeing a Lamborghini with proper learner plates,

The reality of this scenario is, other bikers will think you're a cunt, non bikers won't even notice what bike it is, or what's on the back of it.

So if either of those is your definition of funny, crack on Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:27 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:

Driving school vehicles, including motorcycle training vehicles are exempt, You can ride around on L plates with a training school even with a full licence. I've kept the plates on a company bike once, could not be arsed taking them off. Instructor on L plates. Always gets funny looks.

As above; it's exempt from an advisory, rather than a law.

It may be more likely to get you a tug from them in blue if blatant though.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:46 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answers and opinions on this thread are expressed entirely through comment ratings.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:11 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Can you still have L plates after passing your test? Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:

Dude, whats your problem? i asked a question, maybe it was dumb but just ignore the post and move on. Why do you have to just come and insult me for no reason?

Ive also just noticed the little quote at the bottom of that post. nice one

He likes to make hurtful and borderline offensive comments to people who he thinks will rise to the bait in order to show off and get attention. A bit like putting L-plates on a big single.

I have never met the guy but in the metaphorical pub of the internet, I see him as s the guy at the end of the bar knocking back cheap whisky and tearing up beer mats while swearing under his breath to himself. You're the guy he's put his pint on the edge of the bar next to in the hope you'll spill it so he can start a fight.

Best way to troll people on a motorbike is by learning to ride your bike really well then passing them round the outside of corners they are hanging off and looking raggedy on.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:25 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not allowed to have L plates displayed unless you are the learner driving.

I don't know how driving school get away with it. 😁

"Using 'L' and 'P' plates
You must put an L plate on the front and back of your vehicle so they can be seen easily.

In Wales, you can use a D plate instead.

An L plate or D plate must:

have a red L or D on a white background
be the right size
You can get up to 6 penalty points if you don’t display an L plate or if it isn’t the right size.

You should take L plates off your vehicle when it’s not being used by a learner."

And the stickers must be wrong if a learner at is not driving the car.

The P stickers are P for Prick.

The Baby on board Stickers are twee as fuck.

OP I'm a thick cunt and I found the answer using Google.

Are you using your best Yorkshire Percipience?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:47 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
You are not allowed to have L plates displayed unless you are the learner driving.

In the UK you ARE allowed to have L plates regardless of the license you have.
However, it's ADVISED that you do not.
[quote=https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/introduction]
Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. See an explanation of the abbreviations.

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. [/quote]

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really interesting, the Scoot has L plates for the Mrs and when I ride it I don't take them off, also I fairly often
ride with her on the back but honestly thought I was committing no offence by doing so on account of having
a full licence myself. I do take care to carry my licence when I do so if I'm stopped I can clear things up at the roadside.
The front L plate is self adhesive and stuck to the screen, I can't take that off easily can I?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: L plate Reply with quote

Normally when using training bikes 'above and beyond' training (commuting or delivering to test centre) I 'cover' L plate with some tape. You may be seen as 'not riding in accordance with your licence'.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesus.. i go away to sort my life out, come back and this shit happens..

*eye twitches*
*mental breakdown rapidly approaching*

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:30 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: L plate Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
You may be seen as 'not riding in accordance with your licence'.

Citation please.
This is the relevant law I believe:
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/part/III/crossheading/requirement-to-hold-licence
I am not aware of anywhere which reclassifies a vehicle so that only learners can drive it when L plates are present.

If you know of such a law - I'm sure we'd all be interested to see it!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
MCN wrote:

In the UK you ARE allowed to have L plates regardless of the license you have.
However, it's ADVISED that you do not.
[quote=https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/introduction]
Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. See an explanation of the abbreviations.

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability.
[/quote]

Was the explanation for my benefit? Very Happy

I knows the rules.

I posted the word too for those who don't.

The jist of it is... Advised in the highway code can weigh heavy on you as evidence in court.
I know you can use them as no one is ever stopped for it.

But I accept your better explanation.
I was using my phone so hurried the post.

No excuse.. Razz
Kentol750 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Confusing). Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 07:52 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Ummm... Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
G..... never said it was legislated...highway code just says you should cover them if not a learner.

So how would you be seen as "not riding in accordance with your licence"?

As MCN suggests, it can be used as 'evidence in court' for an actual offence - but that is, as I understand it, typically say " without due care and attention" - where you might have ignored a 'should' about positioning in the road as an example.

I don't see how this could be used in that capacity.

If they tried to prosecute you for 'in accordance with licence', it seems you'd merely need to present your full licence and say "I have a full licence".

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:30 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are marks on or roads that direct traffic flow.

They are advisory too.

They can be ignored.

But if you become involved in an accident and ignoring the advice of the marks then you may be found at fault.

I ignore those marks whenever possible. Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
You are not allowed to have L plates displayed unless you are the learner driving. I don't know how driving school get away with it.

When I passed, my instructor simply crossed out the L plates using black insulation tape.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Trolling Reply with quote

Riding around on a bike that isn't/hasn't been insured as a bike ridden on a provisional licence, having a full licence (these things can be fuct checked on interweb) and just trolling around trying to provoke responses from idiot drivers doesn't seem to be a sensible thing to to when plod hate 'all' bikers.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:48 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did once consider making up some F-plates to indicate the rider is a fuckwit.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:41 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine used to have a Mk2 Golf with a 400bhp BAM engine from the TT RS. That thing flew and was built well enough that torque steer etc weren't an issue.
He made it look like a base spec 1.3, even had a little 1.3 badge made up for it. That always raised a few smiles when it obliterated someone.

I suppose that's similar to running L plates on a quick bike. But it has to look like a sleeper to work. If it's too loud or blingy it won't work.

To answer the original question, I think it's illegal to ride with L plates, I did for a bit when I passed because the bike I was using had them fitted and I couldn't be arsed to remove them and nobody ever gave me a telling off.

Essay over. Welcome to the forum, we can be harsh at times but we mean well.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:17 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone saying it's illegal needs to quote the chapter and verse of the relevant legislation.

Unless someone can do that then it's not illegal to ride around with Loser plates when you've got a full licence.

Mmmmmk.

Wink

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
The law states:

Quote:
Vehicles. Any vehicle driven by a learner MUST display red L plates. In Wales, either red D plates, red L plates, or both, can be used. Plates MUST conform to legal specifications and MUST be clearly visible to others from in front of the vehicle and from behind. Plates should be removed or covered when not being driven by a learner (except on driving school vehicles).

The law states:

The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999 wrote:
(2) Subject to the following paragraphs, the holder of a provisional licence shall not drive a vehicle of a class which he is authorised to drive by virtue of that licence—

(b)unless a distinguishing mark in the form set out in Part 1 of Schedule 4 is displayed on the vehicle in such manner as to be clearly visible to other persons using the road from within a reasonable distance from the front and from the back of the vehicle

Schedule 4, Part 1 is a diagram of distinguishing mark to be displayed on a motor vehicle in England, Wales or Scotland (in other words, what an L plate looks like).

Nothing there to say what licensed drivers are supposed to do (or not do) with such distinguishing marks. The "should" from the gov.uk advice website suggests there is no obligation to do so.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:17 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Seen a few big bikes riding around (on their own) with L plates and asked on here ages ago, it turns out some returning/slightly nervous riders stick an L plate on for some reason.

You wouldn't be trolling anyone, just attracting more c**ty behaviour from other motorists, although TBH being on two wheels seems to enrage them whatever you're riding (a Raleigh Chopper or 1000cc bike).

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

not illegal but asking for a tug by local plod who would want to know why a fully licenced up rider is on L plates or a bike that cant be used by a learner (except with an instructor )has them on anyway
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 347 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3