Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is it wrong to put a screen on a street bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

oscar777
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screens ruin the lines of most naked bikes. But sometimes they're a necessary evil. I would hardly be able to to see the redline of my 1098SF if it wasn't for the screen.

woo wrote:
I have a screen on my honda grom and its ugly and i dont give a damn.
I cut 1/3 of the screen off with a solidering iron (used a saw on another screen and the whole screen shattered) lol as when the screen was normal size the wind buffeting on my head was to much and noise was too loud and now its perfect but looks terrible Laughing
Gives the right amount of wind protection i need now

no craps are given by me

A grom can't go fast enough to need any type of screen.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:27 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

oscar777 wrote:
A grom can't go fast enough to need any type of screen.

On how many naked bikes will you have your neck actually snapped by the airflow? Not just uncomfortable - that's just you being a gym-skipping foggit. You don't need a screen. Razz

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:30 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

have just fitted one of these to the CBF600

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CCE5U7A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i think its brilliant.
i'm doing all sorts of miles on the M25/M20/M26 and at times it was like i was swimming due to the rain and spray.

all i kept thinking was why didn't i do this sooner.

i'm 100% about comfort.... don't care about the looks of it.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm wind blast at 40mph to 60mph in cold weather soon takes its toll on your on chest in cold weather!!!

Rolling Eyes

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
i'm 100% about comfort.... don't care about the looks of it.

https://i.imgur.com/FNQDzJ0.png

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
slightly hijacking this topic - my mate has a naked Triumph 995 (or is it 955?) and hes looking at getting a screen for it...

ive told him to try a sports bike but he says he's too big.. (hes about 6'3" and maybe 14/15 stone).. any suggestions?

faired version of his bike... daytona 955i... exactly the same bike/size

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fit a screen if it helps you... it might sacrifice some style points but unless you only have a bike for style and are on some sort of toff wanking "reality" tv show... in which case you're doing 5mph across town and don't need a screen... then who cares, really?

my zzr has the full riot shield on in addition to the large fairings and it's a lovely place to be over distance in any weather

Bricktop
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:19 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a tiny Puig screen on my CB1300 purely to protect the clock housing (which I painted white to match the bike) from stone chips.

It does absolutely fuck-all, wind-wise.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screens do make a lot of difference if you sit fairly upright on a bike or have a draggy jacket. The difference between a leather jacket and a 3/4 length textile HG jacket with all the pockets is appreciable at motorway speed. Similarly avoiding a 70mph blast of icy air or worse, near freezing water is a huge benefit. The downside is you don't cool off as much on a hot day.

The MRA Vario screens are quite good at redirecting turbulence. the screen needs to be tall enough to not direct a stream of water into you face at motorway speeds in a downpour. I had issues with the first screen I tried on the xv535 doing just that, and the fluid dynamics are kind of counter intuitive as in some circumstances the water is channelled into the fastest airflow which if it's along the centre line of the screen makes for an unpleasant experience.

Avoid 'flip' screens. I tried one on on my Bandit S as an attempt to move the turbulence a bit higher as I'm quite tall and it turned into violent drumming on my helmet at motorway speeds. What i really needed to do was get my head down a bit. Bubble shaped screens tend to work quite well.

blackbosh
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a small screen on the deflector on a street triple r thinking it would make it more comfortable on the motorway.

It moved the airflow right into my helmet meaning riding with my visor open, even slightly, caused the some horrendous buffeting.

Be prepared to be disappointed chasing a solution, only to discover that you prefer riding it without a screen after all.

The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

I ride an adventure bike now so the bigger the better.
Thumbs Up

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 22:10 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its your bike do with it as you please.
I have a screen on my MT10 and genuinely couldn't care less whether the pub car park brigade with there Brembo master cylinders and matching leather and helmet combos think its looks good or not.

Life too short to worry about shit like "is it wrong...", go for a ride...and enjoy your bike Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2