Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First big bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

bobthepie
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:55 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: First big bike? Reply with quote

Ok so I've booked in my theory for tomorrow then I intend to do a direct access and here's my experience...

From 12 - 18 I rode MX from 125 to 250cc regularly and then had 4 years on road experience on yzf r125s under the cbt.

I've been a quad bike instructor for kids in the states for 2 summers but haven't been back on road on a 125 in the past 2 years.

My dream bike is an R6 but i'm not naive enough to think I can handle that power so soon, I want something cheap, forgiving and with a nice bit of umf. So far I've been looking at bandits, sv650s and similar bikes...

Any advice from some more experienced riders would be great because I'm so excited to get back on the road.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no reason not to get the r6 with your experience.

If you really don't want to then er6, sv650, cbr600f or any similar variation.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:22 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - you'll get bored with what you have listed

I lasted all of 2 months on a 650f before buying a 600RR

bobthepie
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:45 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys really think it's not too much of a jump? The most power I've had between my legs is a 450 race quad and that never wanted to keep its front wheels on the ground so that's my only concern with starting on an r6, whether or not the power would be an issue.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They make most of their torque high up in the rev range so lower down they're perfectly managable if you're worried. You control the throttle. Thr jump from the bike you'll be using for test isn't huge. You should have enough road sense by now anyway that you won't go flying too hard into corners anyway.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:19 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Tef> But the PROBLEM is that to AB-use them 'proprely' you HAVE to cane them. </Tef>

Sort of agree. I'm happy with twins, many other people, who are also right, are too. 600+ IL4s deliver their fun at speeds that I don't enjoy.

I do want to try a Street Triple, but I think that would be too spicy as well.

However, there are also plenty of people, who are wrong, that love their IL4s, so also:

<Tef> Whores BEFORE carte, a bike is the LAST thing you neede </Tef>

Go and get licensed up, then test bikes, then decide. Just don't buy based on Top Trump numbers or the stickeRRs on the side.

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:46 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would actually say an R6 is more forgiving to ride than an SV due to the fact they both make similar torque levels, yet the SV makes that 3000 rpm sooner so it'll actually feel a bit more urgent right off the bottom. however Once you're up to speed its a different story.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhys99 wrote:
I would actually say an R6 is more forgiving to ride than an SV due to the fact they both make similar torque levels, yet the SV makes that 3000 rpm sooner so it'll actually feel a bit more urgent right off the bottom. however Once you're up to speed its a different story.

Sssshhhhh the big boys are talking. An R6 is not more forgiving than a StillVirgin650.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:01 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of large cc 4 stroke twins, preferring triples and IL4's (although a flat six Goldwing engine is the dogs dangles. Thumbs Up )

However a lot of it is what you are used to and how you ride.

Ride a supersports 600 like you would a twin and you'll wonder why people rave about them as it will be as bland a custard skin.

Ride a twin like an IL4 your fillings will fall out and it will be a horrible experience.

Go get test rides. Ride friends bikes and then choose.

bobthepie
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:34 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Go get test rides. Ride friends bikes and then choose.

You're assuming I have friends. Haha, thanks for all the advice guys; I passed my theory which was the first step and I get paid very soon so I'll be renewing that old cbt and placing a deposit on my direct access for may.

One friend does have a restricted bandit 600 so I'll see if he'll let me test that after work one day. It took me a fair while to get bored of my little yzf r125 so I doubt I'll get bored quickly of any 600 in honesty.

I'm pretty excited though, thank you for all the advice.

My main reason for loving the naked bikes is that I'm a big fan of streetfighter aesthetics and would want to turn it into one.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 345 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1