Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Peugeot Speedfight 3 2t dying at 6000 rpm

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Peaks
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:29 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Peugeot Speedfight 3 2t dying at 6000 rpm Reply with quote

Hi, I recently bought a speedfight 3 darkside for my 16th birthday and i knew there were gonna be a few problems with it and so I did the basics changed the belt and the rollers because it wasn't picking up well I cleaned everything up inside the gearbox started all good both electric and kick start working but as soon as I went to test it I'd rev it up to 6000 rpm to get me going and it just would die. When I have it up on a block of wood and the wheel can spin freely it will perfectly fine go up to 10,000 rpm so my dad thinks it's a problem with the compression which would be a bummer but I just wanted to ask on here and see if anyone could help me or tell me what they think the problem is with it.
Thanks Josh Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs more fuel under load.
Also why 6000 rpm to get me going?

Peaks
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:25 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pickup on the bike is really bad I haven’t had a Speedfight before so I’m unsure about what sort of rpms the bike should be going off at. I think it’s the clutch and maybe the bearings and when you say it needs more fuel does that mean I need to adjust the carb? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mileage has it done. If the compression is down not a big expensive job to look at piston, probably get awAy with new rings if not scored.
Past bikes simsom mofa 1s, suzuki hustler 250 (£35 in 1973), suzuki ts125k, mz150, yamaha yb 100, honda pc50, honda vision 50, all 2 stroke - then cars - honda pcx 125 (sold) own honda fes 125 and Mrs 125 spares or repairs. Started 1972 all accidents walked away no insurAnce claims

Peaks
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:54 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulf wrote:
What mileage has it done. If the compression is down not a big expensive job to look at piston, probably get awAy with new rings if not scored.

Alright cheers

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:16 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bike was fairly standard, in good condition, with service history - then my first instinct would be that the rollers are the wrong weight.

However, it's a second hand 50cc scooter, so someone with more enthusiasm than skill will have been fucking around with it. Things to check:

1. Compression. You can get a compression tester for 20 quid on ebay. Probably even less now, I've had mine about 15 years. You screw it into the spark plug hole, hold the throttle wide open, and crank the engine over a few times.
2. Fuelling. Someone has probably fiddled with the carb. The usual favourite is playing with the mixture screw - so set that back to whatever it should be. Buy a haynes manual now if you don't already have one. If someone has been very silly, they may have also fitted the wrong sized jets or altered the needle position. You'll need to get the carb out, strip, inspect, clean, and reassemble. A clean work bench covered in newspaper is a good place to do this.
3. Electrics. 90% of fuelling problems are electrical. In this case probably not, because there's very little to mess around with on the ignition side. Get a new spark plug, and make sure it is the correct type. If the battery seems a bit weak, charge or replace it. Batteries are cheap for scooters.

Welcome to the world of owning cheap bikes. Lots of spannering ahead, and a fair portion of it is fixing other people's mistakes and bodges. At least parts are cheap for your scooter.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1