View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:13 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
and face having a claim refused.

Why would a claim be refused?

arry (RIP bruv) assured us that it could only be refused if:

1) The underwrtiter would not have issued a policy at all if they'd known the facts, which is very unlikely.

or

2) They could show the lack of disclosure was a deliberate deception rather than an honest mistake, also very hard to show.

Given that lack of transparency or documentation and the demonstrable confusion over what No Claims is, how could we be expected to guess the right answers?

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Fizzoid wrote:
Talking of insurance, where's arry these days?

Last post was:

arry wrote:
KTM990. It's amazeballs, when it works.

So, killer corrosion, obviously

I've already called being remeberingmost, and also first ride on his bikes and his missus.

Sad times! I've started a memorial if anyone wants to donate?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3b/d0/bf/3bd0bf92c3d9fe860453e66149f81027.jpg

Full beer bottles are fine, I can empty them for you

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
I wont go into but now with the plethora of "when did you buy the vehicle, do you have access to other vehicles etc" questions its easy to trip yourself up and face having a claim refused.

A lot of folk apply simple logic to insurance 'schemes' when really they are complex and compound.

Access to other vehicles. Seems innocent enough to ask but the insurer is asking if you drive other vehicles, so other vehicles are available and possible others have access to them.

The 'other vehicles' part is adding to the risk equations.

My ex was an underwriter for a 'big' UK insurer, she told me some of the stories from the industry.

Pardon my lack of exact detail here but the gist is of interest.

A woman lost her fat diamond ring and claimed the house insurance.
The insurer either limited the payout or refused to pay out.
Reason was that the cover was provided on conditions.
One condition was that the very expensive ring would only be covered if being worn or if it was 'locked' in the safe in the insured's home.
Underwriters do get shit right mainly.
The insured stated that the last time she had the ring she had removed it to work in her kitchen preparing food or something and sat the ring on the worktop near the sink. Shocked

£20,000 rock 'carelessly' left on the worktop. ???
It seems mean of the insurer but it would be us the other clients who pay for her carelessness.

A pop-star and a boat.

A car retailer in Glasgow owns posh sailing boat.
It was 'on loan' to a friend who was also a client of this same insurer.
The client asked if the insurers would cover him and his boat for the duration of the loan of the boat.
A senior underwriter was consulted about it. (This company insured big stuff.)
The senior underwriter advised to decline but suggested the client ask another insurer name given to client.

Two months later the boat caught fire. Shocked

Not a dodgy insurance job. It was an 'honest fire..

But the senior underwriter could read the cards on the risk. No computer involved in those days.

But they are still some robbin' cnuts in the business.....

Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
No Claims bonus letters or proofs always have the expiry date of the policy on so the clock runs from that date. When I was working as a broker there used to be a list of some companies who would accept up to 3 years and 1 used to be unlimited time period but the whole lot has gone by the by now due to computerisation and the internet meaning that everyone flocks to compare the meerkat now and accepts their assumptions and then the problems start at claim time.

That was kinda my question, what happens if you cancel your policy before the (new) expiry date. If you need to complete another policy cycle to effectively update your NCD entitlement that seems a little unfair.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
stephen_o wrote:
No Claims bonus letters or proofs always have the expiry date of the policy on so the clock runs from that date. When I was working as a broker there used to be a list of some companies who would accept up to 3 years and 1 used to be unlimited time period but the whole lot has gone by the by now due to computerisation and the internet meaning that everyone flocks to compare the meerkat now and accepts their assumptions and then the problems start at claim time.

That was kinda my question, what happens if you cancel your policy before the (new) expiry date. If you need to complete another policy cycle to effectively update your NCD entitlement that seems a little unfair.

I have been informed, on a few occasions by one or two brokers that notice of NCD is not available until the date of the anniversary of the policy. Even though the cnuts are touting for my new business.

Some other companies just send out the NCD with the new proposal. Like that makes sense.

In any case your new policy will not take effect until your old one expires (Legally) so most brokers allow time to pry the NCD from the previous broker or use the insurance system and you only have to provide the policy number. They get the NCD from that. Rolling Eyes
Bloody Secret Squirrel Fannies some of them.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Some other companies just send out the NCD with the new proposal. Like that makes sense.

It's a little strange but at least it favours the customer. I got my proof of NCD (automatically sent out) recently when I cancelled the auto-renewal.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:50 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
MCN wrote:

It's a little strange but at least it favours the customer. I got my proof of NCD (automatically sent out) recently when I cancelled the auto-renewal.

You think they have done you a favour, what they have done is got out of the 14 days grace period from the renewal date of the policy where they HAVE to accept your renewal even if you have a bump after the expiry date of the policy as long as "you show an intention to renew" (road traffic act 1988) replaced by the continuous insurance regulation - because you have cancelled the auto renewal they don't have to give you any grace period so if you haven't got your replacement policy ready and waiting for the moment then your in line to be roasted.

In the olden days the renewal notice from the insurance company (which was also the proof of no claims bonus) contained the wording of 14 days road traffic act cover only if the policy was being renewed - it was this document which had to be transferred by the broker to the new company or if the customer was leaving the broker/company they would have to produce it themselves to the new company or face there no claim discount being revoked. These documents would frequently be lost so insurance companies would on request of a signed declaration of loss from the broker/customer issue a letter instead which would be accepted instead - this method was frequently used by brokers to sort deals out for customers who bought a 2nd bike/car to placate the "why should I start again argument"

This was in the days of pre-internet and there was no database sharing or credit checks done so the premium was based solely on the perceived risk as proposed and the "rate chart" - Now its a can of worms and thats before you throw in risk profiling and credit checking having a factor on premiums as well - got defaults/ccj's even though they are nowt to do with insurance? watch that premium rocket or even be refused. If any of you use money supermarket or compare the market etc get access to your credit file and see how many "soft searches" are done against you!

In my days the real vetting was when the claim went in, insurance companies had a vested interest in not paying out so in no particular order there were accident assessors, estimators (independent of garages) private investigators, claims management companies, and then policy wording interpretations came in as well. Again that's before internet and social media etc which I wouldn't be surprised if that gets checked now as well - I know it does in the case of personal injury claims.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2