Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Over-revving and rough idle

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Draco87
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:01 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Over-revving and rough idle Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have a 2004 R6 with 28K miles.

Bike has a big problem that I can't seem to solve, I have adjusted all valve clearances to spec, replaced head gasket, piston rings, spark plugs, air filter, oil and battery. The problem is I can't seem to get the bike to idle anywhere below 4k RPM, every time I come to a stop I have to hold the clutch out whilst holding front brake to keep idle at 1500-2000, I have tried adjusting idle screw and syncing throttle bodies but it either makes it rev too low to which it stalls or revs even higher. There is also a very strong smell of fuel coming from the exhaust. The second issue is whenever riding at low speeds it will kangaroo about like I'm jerking on the throttle. however the faster I go the smoother the ride becomes. anyone have any ideas on where else I should be looking?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel injection,sensors everywhere, maybe the cold start sensor (choke) is telling porkies to the brain for more fuel.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be a bit simple but have you checked for an air leak anywhere? Not sure where to check on a FI bike but not idling properly and overrevving would make sense right?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:24 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idle control valve, or an air leak.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for air leak..

Draco87
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:07 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Another vote for air leak..

Hi guys, thank you for all your replies much appreciated 😊. I've checked all around throttle bodies and air induction system and everything checks out. However, I have now found the problem it seems the throttle slides are out of sync 2-4 are fine it is cylinder 1 that is out of whack so today I will be getting those correct and re-sync throttle bodies then take it from there.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 345 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1