Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kelvlar undies

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Kelvlar undies Reply with quote

I have a few sets of leathers to cover my riding year, but every summer I think about replacing my old riding jeans which I can just about still wear, but they are definitely shrinking.
Looking around I saw this stuff https://www.bowtex.com/
There's nothing new in Kevlar under garments, but this is the first time I've seen them with pockets for armour, essentially meaning you could wear normal jeans / shirts on top.
For pottering about these do look interesting, and a lot less bulky to store / change out of when you get somewhere and want to wander about. Also, the armour seems more likely to stay put than in a loose fitting pair of jeans. Additionally they look like they could double as stab proof pyjamas.

Anyone used this stuff and have any insight on what it's like to wear?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:00 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I toyed with the idea years ago, but lulled at the prices. I note that the "cheap" versions of these are just spandex tights with a couple of patches of kevlar - you need to go over 200 Euros to get ones that are fully protective.

My main issue though: would you wear them? I can't be doing with faffing around with multiple layers: better (IMO) to have a basic pair of armoured jeans that you do wear rather than some techo long johns sitting in your unmentionables drawer.

Oh, and noting the apparent lack of claims about CE certification, they have 2 days to continue marketing them as motorcycle gear in the EU.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motolegends are listing the 55% Kevlar base + 100% Kevlar patches version at £129. It doesn't seem too bad when compared to decent motorbike jeans.
I was online browsing a pair of RevIt chinos as an alternative to jeans when I saw these, which in turn got me thinking about being able to wear lighter weight trousers. I always find my Kevlar jeans pretty warm for walking around off the bike, and these would be easy to take off shove in a rucksack.
I'm not entirely off the idea of the under garments, or entirely sold on them.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
I always find my Kevlar jeans pretty warm for walking around off the bike, and these would be easy to take off shove in a rucksack.

Yebbut you've then got to drop your kecks by the side of the road, which might scare the locals... and if you're going to do that and then carry a rucksack round, you might as well just swap your leather trousers or textiles for a standard pair? Admittedly a bulkier rucksack, but still a rucksack.

The one thing that might attract me to a set would be the ability to wear them under non-biking clothes other than jeans etc - if you needed to go somewhere looking smart and definitely non-bikery, you could have this underneath

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:31 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the warmth of these things has always put me off. I couldn’t wear them now, I’d be drenched in sweat. The way to go is single-layer bike jeans, where the protective Kevlar or whatever is mixed with the fabric, as opposed to being a separate layer.
https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/single-layer-motorcycle-jeans-rokker-vs-saint-vs-others.1212065/
But you need to have a double-barrelled surname, to have studied at Eton, to have a trust fund in your name set up by grandpa etc etc to afford those things. Do we have many Etonians here

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As borgy-man says purchase an el-cheapo pair that you'll wear occasionally while the nice weather lasts and won't feel bad about throwing away for the majority of the year once it dies down again, and it will.

Layering up defeats the object of wearing Kevlar jeans because, as I see it, if you reach the point that you need to layer than thin because weather you'd want, in theory, one layer Kevlar jeans rather than a base layer of Kevlar and then something on top.

We don't really get enough good weather to warrant investing heavily in decent Kevlar jeans, as I see it at least. I'd go textile or another pair of leather for more use across the year.

I just purchased a pair of RST Pro Series Adventure 3 at a, to me, steal price that I didn't really need but, in the long run at least, will give me a good return on their useage.

I toyed with purchasing vented boots and gloves to replace what I have but my preference is with gear that can be used all year round and continue on by scraping one or two more uses of the small amount of non-all-year-round gear that I do own (jeans, ankle boots, vented gloves).

So, yes, I can't help with what you're looking at but simply suggest a decent pair of vented textiles for all year round, if needed, or some more leather.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
The way to go is single-layer bike jeans ...... rokker

I saw those and even that specific thread, made for some interesting reading. Rokker even do a smart looking pair of chinos which I thought looked great, but yeah, the price of over £350 shut that down.

As for disrobing in public, there's usually somewhere you can do that somewhat discreetly, or you can just not worry about it, or not take them off - you wouldn't be wearing any more layers than fully lined jeans.

At the moment it seems to be
Pros:
Wear any trousers on top.

Cons:
Faff of putting on and taking off.

Thinking

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:47 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no Etonians around? Damn... I really wanted to brush up on my Latin talking about motorcycles...

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Kevlar jeans. Reply with quote

Ride all year round in Kevlar jeans or textile trousers, under armour would get a bit like leathers....impractical (sweaty in heat). Prefer the way jeans fit when spending all day on bike, leather isn't waterproof and so either way I carry waterproof overtrousers. Textiles that are vented tend to be shite in rain....unvented are sweat pants in summer. JTS do a showerproof Jean that won't break the bank, and keep you dry long enough to stop and throw council waterproofs over or carry on through.

arthurmo
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:22 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
So no Etonians around? Damn... I really wanted to brush up on my Latin talking about motorcycles...

Vocati estis? I’ve got the rokker revolution (they were a gift) and in between all the hipster packaging and tech speak they’re pretty good,fully waterproof and have D30 armour. I’ve not fallen off yet so can’t comment on the abrasive qualities but the breathable membrane doesn’t give you that crisp packet feeling and they do regulate the temp a bit I’ve worn them through the winter with just a merino base.

Would I actually buy them? Yes as I think they’d last a few years and are washable and look like ‘normal jeans’. Revit do a similar jean but a lot cheaper.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Kevlar jeans. Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Textiles that are vented tend to be shite in rain...

It all depends on what style of zip that particular item of clothing has been designed with and, in part, that depends on how much money your willing to spend and from there how much use your realistically expecting to get before it gives in on its waterproof capabilities.

Out of the two zips below, for example, I tend to prefer the zip on the right (reverse coil, as its called here) to the basic zip on the left:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0804/4485/files/zipper_coil_reverse_large.jpg?9684984516769471180

In terms of what it looks like on bike clothing, for example, below is the RST Blade I textile jacket followed by the RST Pro Series Adventure II:

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/imported_data/images/82907-rst-blade-sport-1348-txt-jacket-black-01.jpg

https://www.silvermachine.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/1300x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/r/pro_series_adventure_iii_jkt_1185003_blu-sand_f.jpg

Everything, however, has its day and I wouldn't expect either to be entirely waterproof forever nor after a set period of time riding in heavy downpour. How long that set period of time is, however, is entirely dependant on how much return you expect for your money and if the reality meets your expectations.

Things like zips being able to hide under a small waterproof pocket, thus tucked away, also helps eliminate weak spots in the zip for potential waterproof leaks. So, in part, overall design plays a major part in waterproof capabilities also.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Rst Reply with quote

You (NJD) must work for rst or their manufacturer, every post on clothing you enter into tends to go their way.
I've used and own kit by....(And I apologise for anyone I forget)...agv, akito, alpinestars, arai, arlen ness,belstaff, bks, dainese, draggin, five, frank thomas, furygan, held, hjc, hunter, icon, jands (ixs), jts, nolan, oxford, richa, rst, rukka, schuberth, shark, shoei, sidi, wulf and xlite....my opinion means little if it doesn't fit or is out of budget. However, having spent a long time in the gear, I can give an informed opinion of its usefulness and practicality. I'm not sponsored by anyone, but having suffered in ill fitting/prepared clothing, I'm happy to give some pointers as to what' works.

/tef

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Rst Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
You (NJD) must work for rst or their manufacturer, every post on clothing you enter into tends to go their way.

I'm not, sadly, but the money I've spent on themselves over the time I've been riding makes me think I should be legible for at least a discount, hmmm.

I talk about RST because that's largely what I own. Sensibly priced middle ground gear for a half decent return. In truth I see no reason to look elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, though, my post was simply meant to be educational in regards to what zips to look out for that provide, in my experience, decent waterproofing ability in a downpour.

RST has its faults, too: most low end gear is largely the same with a couple of tweaks branded as a new product; no hip-armour even on their top of the range jeans as standard (and discontinued from what I can tell); trying the basic thermal liner (that comes with RST Blade, Trachtech Evo II etc) made me cringe the other day at how uncomfortable it was and a leaky pair of trousers, once.

Likewise the new RST Trachtech Evo III boots look largely the same as the II (most common boot out there) and the race boot looks like they couldn't decide between what ratio of protection to boot they were going to design it with: poor show. I've been looking at Alpinestar S-MX 6's because they impressed me when I tried them on.

Likewise, too, I looked at Rukka gloves recently but their range is weird and, in my opinion, over-priced. The whole non-vented gore-tex only, with no thermal layer, is a slightly abnormal design for the Apollo and Virium. One day, perhaps, but unless used their gloves is about the only thing I'd buy new.

Oh, before I forget, the reason I mainly own RST comes down to what my local J&S stock. Only recently, with a collection of garments, do I realise that their stock levels are poor and their range horrible. Mostly, now, I hate going inside because there's hardly ever anything new. When I look at the likes of SBS I see far more range and cry it's not closer to home. You can only really buy, within reason, what's available to you.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was looking at a pair Draggin or MotoMan Kevlar pants, same idea and they go for about £99, but had concerns about the layering and heat.

After reading up about the Rokkers single layer, I may have to invest in pair of these as I run extremely hot Evil or Very Mad dat tree fiddy price tag tho

interesting read

https://www.motolegends.com/editorial-rokker-jeans

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:36 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurmo wrote:

Vocati estis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ0D3C6oxEk

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Sportsbikeshop Reply with quote

NJD, you really should take a trip out to their shop. It's a fantastic setup, you can try on anything they have in stock (And there's a massive amount there.). They are as cheap as anyone else (as you know) and when it comes to finding a helmet that fits, trying on 10 different makes in one day can prove invaluable.

Also, no, I don't work for them.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Sportsbikeshop Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
NJD, you really should take a trip out to their shop. It's a fantastic setup, you can try on anything they have in stock (And there's a massive amount there.). They are as cheap as anyone else (as you know) and when it comes to finding a helmet that fits, trying on 10 different makes in one day can prove invaluable.

Also, no, I don't work for them.

SBS price match is the main appeal given they accept most offers and email you a code when they don't feel it renders an entire discount for everyone but wish to make a sale. I've only ever had them decline one and that was because the price was cheaper than what they purchased the item for.

100 plus miles away means it would be more a one off trip away for the weekend given taking the bike all that way would mean not being able to carry sod all back.

Someday, perhaps.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Sportsbikeshop Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
given taking the bike all that way would mean not being able to carry sod all back

So you go, make a list of exactly what you want, then order online when you get back home... Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1