Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dorsoduro 750 factory-full carbon-engine tuning & rides

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 02:21 - 29 Mar 2018    Post subject: Dorsoduro 750 factory-full carbon-engine tuning & rides Reply with quote

Hey all.
My new machine as i fancied a total change from the fireblade.

Finally fancied doing something a bit special and not seen many of these about. It is the Factory spec model with full Sachs suspension and Brembo brakes plus a few carbon bits so i figured i may as well finish what Aprillia started.
Only bad point is the fueling is off the mark making riding at a fixed speed a chore but a rapidbike evo will sort that out.

https://i.imgur.com/e5RkkILh.jpg

Custom made corbin style seat.
R&G aero sliders bar ends and fork protectors.
Arrow titanium carbon exhausts (shaved about 15kgs compared to the monster that was there before).
HID conversion (a proper system which maintains beam pattern).
GPR decat.
DNA air filter.
Carbon front and rear mudguard
Carbon seat unit.
Carbon shark fin
Matte carbon tank panels and front upper mudguard (soon to be sprayed in clear coat so its all matching gloss carbon , just need to decide on the finalized decals)
Puig screen (helps immensely at anything over 80)
Scot oiler E-system because who enjoys cleaning chains haha.

https://i.imgur.com/nurMbbHh.jpg

I also have full luggage for it that can be fitted in 45 mins for touring use Smile.

https://i.imgur.com/1NakkRRh.jpg

To be fitted over the next few weeks...
Carbon handguards, carbon bellypan (need to fabricate mounting hardware for these)
Rapidbike Evo
Pilot road 5s when the avon storms wear out.
48t rear and 520 conversion as i dont need anything more than 120 but more acceleration is always a winner.

All in all i love this bike, i know its not as full on as some of the competition but for road use i love it, and imo its one of the best looking SM style bikes on the market.

Last edited by fireyphoenix1989 on 15:10 - 14 Apr 2018; edited 3 times in total

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:01 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improved the cosmetics a bit.
Removed and replaced most the decals and started replacing the old bolts with nice stainless A4 and titanium pieces also got the carbon handguards mounted.
I really like the look of the the bike now.

https://i.imgur.com/wp9yltAh.jpg

So on to dealing with the bikes running issues

The bike has now been Dynoed at Powertech. This was done to establish the baseline with factory ECU.Something i have not been able to find anywhere on the internet.

The results showed are a WOT power run.It starts off lean and then over the run balances out ok.
HOWEVER, the moment the throttle was rolled off rather than a smooth reduction in power the fueling went from 14-1 to over 18-1 causing the bike to lurch. This is exactly the issue i have had since day one when approaching corners at high speeds. The bikes fueling is FAR too conservative, especially in the lower and midrange rpm and at partial throttle.

Max power run on dyno. 79 hp and 48.8 ft ib.He did state his dyno under reads a little but im surprised it still made so much power with how bad the fueling is atm.
WOT seems like an entirely different map to the rest of it, its a mess.

https://i.imgur.com/JPMvp0th.jpg

The day was not wasted however, it confirmed several things for me.
The bikes run crazy lean stock, they are 10x worse with open cans on them.
At partial throttle, 20% 2nd gear 30ish mph it was around 18 -1 AFR which is DANGEROUSLY lean. This sort of ratio will burn the valves out over time.
If you have a DD750. Do not run it for extended periods of time with a high flow air filter decat and open exhausts. It will cause damage even with a motocorsario / fat duc fitted.
They are simply too lean from factory to be run like that.

When dynoed the bike had....
Motocorsario tuned for smooth throttle in the low range..
Dna air filter.
GPR Decat.
Arrow cans (no db killer).

The bikes making good power but its horribly delivered.Rolling on from 3K causes it to stumble and stutter its way up to 8K then it blasts to redline.
Riding with a fixed throttle at 30 MPH is impossible, you have to constantly modulate the input.
Sport mode is not usable, its simply impossible to hold any fixed speed.

The plan is...
Fitting the rapid bike evo in a few days then getting it back on dyno in about 2/3 weeks. In the mean time i have put my baffles back in to try and richen it up a little.

Arrow exhausts with baffles fitted (db killer) as i dont think there is much more power to be made without getting into high lift cams ect and i am not spending that kind of money.
Arrow Decat pipe with the 3 month old O2 sensor.
Rapid bike Evo and using its self mapping to setup.The bike will then be fine tuned on dyno using wide band sensor and manual fueling inputs.
DNA air filter
15-48T sprockets

Im also damned tempted to replace the other sensors while i am in there and keep the factory ones as spares.

Been having a play about with the software today while work is quiet .

As i read it, the flat 0 level is base factory mapping.
The Rapid bike then adds and subtracts fuel to the factory map based on feedback from the o2 sensor at the throttle position it is in.
Its not perfect but it is a self adapting map that over time gets better and better.
The idea is that each time you reach say 50% throttle the RB evo gets information as to if its lean or rich. It then adjusts the value to one in the middle, over time this repeats again and again until it has learned exactly how much the engine needs.

This is rapid bikes suggested remap for a stock bike.
https://i.imgur.com/JTIMGygh.png

Note its adding a lot in the lower range and subtracting in the higher rpms.
This suggests that in standard form the bike is massively lean up to 8500 rpm then its over fueled. My guess is that they did it this way for passing emissions tests but also to protect the engine at high rpm where a lean condition could cause it to seize.

It makes sense for a manufacturer, but its terrible for me as it makes the bike lurch about horribly.

It will be good to get these parts fitted, hopefully it will solve the issues i have been having.

https://i.imgur.com/3BPQUOmh.jpg

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very normal to me for a modern EFI bike with an abortion in the fueling department, caused by having to meet noise and emissions legislation. And also with them relying on closed loop o2 sensor until very late in the Rev range.

Whats this module thing all about anyway? I take it that your factory ECU is not accessible/ remappable? As if it was that would be the preferred route whenever possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:03 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Whats this module thing all about anyway? I take it that your factory ECU is not accessible/ remappable? As if it was that would be the preferred route whenever possible.

The stock ECU is locked up, the only way that i have heard for reflashing the ECU is with a Rexxer unit, something which only seems to be found in the US and even then only a few places have them.

Basically the unit is like a power commander, its designed to over ride the stock signals to the injectors.Power commander wont make a unit to fit them as there are only around 100 of my bike in the UK.
Far as i know its only me and two other people who own Rapid bike units. I know that the importer said i am the first person in the UK to buy one for a Dorsoduro.

It has a self mapping function where it takes a reading from a narrow band sensor. As this sensor can only read rich or lean it basically pings the sensor 100 times a second, taking the rich or lean condition and adjusting the fuel mix plus or minus a point until it reaches a theoretical 13.1 air fuel mix.
You can then save the map, hit reset and it will start again with the prior evolved map as its base further refining the fueling. The real bonus of this system is say you change exhaust, the bike will adapt to that new setup without any rider input.

The more advanced race version even takes control of the ignition timing, but that is total over kill for me.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:33 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, made up some brackets to fit the belly pan today.Really tidy's the bottom of the bike up i think.

Took the bike to the local meet tonight.
https://i.imgur.com/OxALAnVh.jpg

Fitting the rapidbike and remapping tomorrow Thumbs Up .

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work. It looks much better than when you purchased it. Thumbs Up Although I did like the Umbrella Corp logo.

That being said, the aftermarket bellypan doesn't look good. I think I'm in the minority (given the apparent popularity), but I honestly don't know what they're for when there's no lower radiator. It's just a chunk of stuff that doesn't need to be there, adds weight and reduces ground clearance. For me, it's the equivalent of those awful aftermarket 'skirts' fitted to everyday cars in the 90s/00s, which hilariously feature on barryboys.co.uk.

Your post has also reminded me how much of a tedious faff it is to worry about fuelling on late model bikes. It's plain easier to leave it standard, or to fit manufacturer tuned open exhausts/filters and ECU programming (a la Ducati). Dicking around trying to make aftermarket stuff work is more effort, expense and worry than it's worth. Unless you intend to race it, then IMO just ride it as it comes. Odds are it isn't the performance bottleneck!

Last edited by Alex A on 09:12 - 17 Apr 2018; edited 2 times in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:25 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to agree with Alex here. Starting with a bike that needs work and expense like that from new is not a road I would personally go down. But it looks well enough. Hope you get it sorted ok.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:54 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:

It's just a chunk of stuff that doesn't need to be there, adds weight and reduces ground clearance.

Your post has also reminded me how much of a tedious faff it is to worry about fuelling on late model bikes. It's plain easier to leave it standard, or to fit manufacturer tuned open exhausts/filters and ECU programming (a la Ducati). Dicking around trying to make aftermarket stuff work is more effort, expense and worry than it's worth. Unless you intend to race it, then IMO just ride it as it comes. Odds are it isn't the performance bottleneck!

When i got the bike it was crash damaged on the right side. The price difference between new OEM parts and carbon ones is what made me decide i might as well make the bike fully carbon.

The belly pan covers the oil filter and protects some pipes ect on the bottom on the bike.It weight 183 grams & the mounts i made weigh 70 grams.There is no reduction in ground clearance.
I can see why some may not like it, but i always have liked them. Grew up with two uncles building 90s street fighters and i guess its rubbed off on me haha.

Stock the bike feels lifeless, mostly as it seems it was developed with the arrow exhaust system then had the life choked out of it to get through modern emissions bs.
This leads to the engine hunting a lot, mid corner this can be .... interesting to say the least.Also you cant fully close the throttle decelerating as it leans out to 18-1 causing the engine to stutter. Bloody horrible approaching a bend.

But i know it can be solved as i have ridden one that had been tuned and the only thing i have enjoyed riding more was a 1290R which is still well out of my budget as i outright refuse to PCP a bike. Thumbs Up

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:59 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Got to agree with Alex here. Starting with a bike that needs work and expense like that from new is not a road I would personally go down. But it looks well enough. Hope you get it sorted ok.

Cheers, i get that but have had 11 bikes so far, the last being a fireblade and i was bored to the back teeth of it.It was cheap solid and reliable.... and i also saw a dozen of them every day.

I could have bought a brand new MT09 for what i have in this bike.
But then i would have an MT09.... like the literally 17 other ones at the meet last night.Im happy to spend a bit more, if the result is i get to ride something a bit special.
Smile

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:08 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found something interesting out.The new 900s come with the same ECU as the RSV, so they can be easily remapped.
Glad to see aprilia listened to the owners feed back regarding the 750s.
Maybe in a few years i will find a crashed 900 to pinch the engine from haha.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:30 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i have had a busy few days.
First off, the Rapid bike Evo is fitted.It took a few hours and was pretty much a direct fit to the standard loom. Only needing a wire tap in to the TPS wire.
The hardest part of the install is working out how to route the wires inside the airbox.

https://i.imgur.com/oPA1XCDh.jpg

In order to plug in the connections i had to remove the throttle bodies and injectors.

https://i.imgur.com/BBlDy6Sh.jpg

Moment of truth was starting it.
All running fine, first map uploaded and the bike is running much smoother.
First time tuning fuel injection, thus far things are going very well.
The bike pulls hard to redline with a slight flat spot around 6000 but that will be easy to tune out. This is so much easier than tuning carbs Thumbs Up .

https://i.imgur.com/QBBbNgQh.jpg

Spent Thursday on a long ride with the mrs.Found a beautiful spot with a view over the whole of Lancashire.

https://i.imgur.com/60jHIXUh.jpg

I also swapped out the HIDs and replaced the side light with 6000K LEDs. .
Philips Luxeon Zes headlights are HIGHLY recommended . Perfect light pattern extremely bright and instant on no warm up needed.

https://i.imgur.com/so0xUlhh.jpg

Finished with a ride over to Beacon Fell before heading home.

https://i.imgur.com/2INI7kgh.jpg

The bike is running great, the software is easy to use and i can easily upgrade to a wide band kit and get real time tuning if i should want it.
So far i am very impressed with the auto adaptive fueling.It has totally transformed how the bike responds and made it far more enjoyable around town.

This will only improve with use as the Evo learns what the engine wants with every ride.Its already well on the way to developing its second gen remap. Really looking forward to getting more miles on it now.
Thumbs Up

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:19 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the tuning work has begun.

Here is how my map is developing at stock (Rapid bike reccomended map for a stock bike) and 250 miles on my bike.
https://i.imgur.com/lOdH2HOh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/f3GC8hbh.jpg

Massive amounts of fuel added at lower and midrange rpm (up to 18% more) with a large cut in the fuel at the top end.Some fuel removed from the midrange rpms at partial throttle 5/10% cruising around town.

The bike is responding well, it now pulls hard from 2000 to red line in all gears.I can roll on at 30mph in 3rd for overtakes while cruising. Before this would have lugged the engine heavily.
Will report on this again at 500 & 1000 miles.

All in all i am incredibly impressed.For £350 this is by far the best modification to do on one of these, its made the bike in to the hooligan machine i expected it to be.Even one of my friends who has the new KTM790 was impressed at how well it rides now.

The final things i want to do are clear coat the carbon, fit some light wheels and have the exhaust pipes ceramic coated satin black.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:49 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custom 48 tooth Talon sprocket arrived, 4 weeks exactly to be made plated and delivered.Fitting it and my 15T front with a DID 525 x ring next.

Clear coated matte parts with 2K in a can today. £22 a can and worked brilliantly, best clear i have used by far Touch dry in an hour and ready to be machine polished in 24 hours.

I am going to wet sand at 2K and buff it out tomorrow to remove orange peel.But i am generally very impressed with the finish.

https://i.imgur.com/rkzIclxh.jpg

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:44 - 11 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And its finished for now.
It should have come with this gearing from the factory, top speed is around 115mph but it gets there silly fast.
I now have the awesome twisty b road bike i wanted.

Also finished the job on the bodywork with a light wet sanding then buffing.Its turned out fantastic, im properly chuffed.
After a wash
https://i.imgur.com/ZT7joaAh.jpg
And once waxed...
https://i.imgur.com/IFTGhX9h.jpg

Now to enjoy the summer.

Winter plan is ceramic coat the exhaust pipes and light weight wheels.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 323 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1