Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Just blame Russia...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
His counterargument was that he was in the thick of it when his department were told the nation was about to go to war with Iraq. They were told reliably about weapons of mass destruction, the news parroted the same story, and half of NATO followed along quite gladly with a full invasion and outright desecration of Iraq. Later it turned out to be bollocks. So he quite rightly is not at all willing to go so eagerly along with things this time around.

Now what was that about all of this very real evidence presented by experts and government representatives from across the UK with backing from our allies and neighbours?

A million people marched against the war in Iraq. People in the government were against the war in Iraq. There's a clip (I can't find) of Jack Straw telling Colin Powell they had no evidence. The tabloids did their usual sensationalist bull$hit. Then you had the Dr Kelly stuff.

It was more a demonstration of how we don't live in a democracy than it was of a successful propaganda campaign.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

I also note the loaded use of the term 'western' governments, suggesting I'm some kind of commie traitor for daring to question the obviously bullshit narrative being pushed. Laughing

Paranoia, is what that is Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Now we have a repeat of the same - dubious claims, pushing hostility for no reason, then a sudden attack on a country that nobody really wanted or even cared about.

Another attack. Granted we're actually dropping a few bombs this time but Syria was bombed after a previous chemical attack: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/06/trump-syria-missiles-assad-chemical-weapons

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone likes to bomb Syrians. Even Syrians.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I know I just don't get the conspiracy, unless the US were desperate for the UK to send in a few bombers? Confused

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I know I just don't get the conspiracy, unless the US were desperate for the UK to send in a few bombers? Confused

I'm sure Lord Percy will be along to explain it to you shortly. If he can get off his arse long enough to look more closely, and if he's sure that man outside isn't there for him Shocked

Perhaps Blair has snuck back into No.10, Bush back into the White House? Oh noes, Groundhog Day! Laughing

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I'm sure Lord Percy will be along to explain it to you shortly. If he can get off his arse long enough to look more closely, and if he's sure that man outside isn't there for him Shocked

Perhaps Blair has snuck back into No.10, Bush back into the White House? Oh noes, Groundhog Day! Laughing

This is the same lord percy that once claimed that Tony Bliar, went into Iraq because he was trying to rebuild the British Empire

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
This is the same lord percy that once claimed that Tony Bliar, went into Iraq because he was trying to rebuild the British Empire

And that it's fine restricting access to information as long as you freely distribute what you do want people to see.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's certainly not the kind of source I'll be using to form my opinions, put it that way.

@Lord Percy: I don't doubt that western governments (check that paranoia!) make mistakes, are sometimes incompetent, stupid even, and sometimes tell bold-faced lies. But imo, and that of many others, Putin's regime is malicious and malign, at least bordering on the criminal as a matter of habit, in its very nature. So if we jump to the odd hasty conclusion, seem a little paranoid ourselves sometimes, make the odd mistake, I'm willing to forgive that. It is highly unlikely that I will ever change my opinion of Vladimir Putin though.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:09 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Er what. I vaguely remember this, and no I'm not stupid enough to think anyone in this day and age really thinks there's much use in trying to bring back the so-called glory days of the empire. Well, anyone other than Theresa May and her ilk.

If I remember correctly my point about Blair was more around the fact that he got into power then was overwhelmed by a false sense of importance on the global stage. Happens to most British leaders, it seems.

Well done on completely not understanding the first time around anyway.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:28 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
But imo, and that of many others, Putin's regime is malicious and malign, at least bordering on the criminal as a matter of habit, in its very nature. So if we jump to the odd hasty conclusion, seem a little paranoid ourselves sometimes, make the odd mistake, I'm willing to forgive that. It is highly unlikely that I will ever change my opinion of Vladimir Putin though.

You say you're well versed on these topics. I'm interested in where you gather your info from. Presumably all western authors (I said western again Shocked ), or at least books that were translated into English for the western reader?

This reminds me of an interview between Noam Chomsky* and Andrew Marr, wherein Marr talked about journalistic integrity and his personal sense of having done the right thing on behalf of the BBC for his entire career. Chomsky fantastically reminded him that he only does so well for the BBC, and only does so well for himself and his integrity, because he is precisely the person the establishment prefers to use. This isn't some kind of conspiracy, it's natural social action at its finest. He's the man for the job specifically because he reports on exactly the sort of things the British public want to know about. It's a perfectly natural state of affairs.

Now consider your Russian history and politics information sources. The majority of it will only have been made available to the western reader precisely because the content is exactly what the western reader wants to know about.

Why do you think Vladimir Putin is so much more evil than anyone else in the world? What's he done? I'm yet to see anything better or worse than anywhere else. This isn't me "siding with the Russians", it's just a realistic viewpoint in a world where the Cold War ended half a century ago and nothing extreme has come from far-eastern Europe ever since.

Do you not think this is just a rather more simple case of 'who gets first dibs on an oil line through Syria'? No real enemies either way, but a whole load of misinformation and hand-wavy 'facts' chucked at the public to generate approval for what is really nothing other than your bog standard garden variety proxy war.

*"I'm not saying you're self-censoring, I'm sure you believe everything you say, but what I'm saying is if you believed something different you wouldn't be sitting here today."

Last edited by Lord Percy on 09:06 - 21 Apr 2018; edited 3 times in total

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
duhawkz wrote:

And that it's fine restricting access to information as long as you freely distribute what you do want people to see.

You do like jumping on bandwagons don't you.

Note that I've not once said anything about you being that loser kid living with his mum in a council house paying lower rents than the local average while having the gall to complain about it in classic #metoo faux-poverty Guardian reader style... because it's really beside the point and probably not even accurate. A bit like your attempt at calling me some kind of, I don't know, media piracy proponent who agrees with internet censorship? I'm not sure what point you were trying to make.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:09 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
But imo, and that of many others, Putin's regime is malicious and malign, at least bordering on the criminal as a matter of habit, in its very nature. So if we jump to the odd hasty conclusion, seem a little paranoid ourselves sometimes, make the odd mistake, I'm willing to forgive that. It is highly unlikely that I will ever change my opinion of Vladimir Putin though.

You say you're well versed on these topics. I'm interested in where you gather your info from. Presumably all western authors (I said western again Shocked ), or at least books that were translated into English for the western reader?

This reminds me of an interview between Noam Chomsky and Andrew Marr, wherein Marr talked about journalistic integrity and his personal sense of having done the right thing on behalf of the BBC for his entire career. Chomsky fantastically reminded him that he only does so well for the BBC, and only does so well for himself and his integrity, because he is precisely the person the establishment prefers to use. This isn't some kind of conspiracy, it's natural social action at its finest. He's the man for the job specifically because he reports on exactly the sort of things the British public want to know about. It's a perfectly natural state of affairs.

Now consider your Russian history and politics information sources. The majority of it will only have been made available to the western reader precisely because the content is exactly what the western reader wants to know about.

Why do you think Vladimir Putin is so much more evil than anyone else in the world? What's he done? I'm yet to see anything better or worse than anywhere else. This isn't me "siding with the Russians", it's just a realistic viewpoint in a world where the Cold War ended half a century ago and nothing extreme has come from far-eastern Europe ever since.

Do you not think this is just a rather more simple case of 'who gets first dibs on an oil line through Syria'? No real enemies either way, but a whole load of misinformation and hand-wavy 'facts' chucked at the public to generate approval for what is really nothing other than your bog standard garden variety proxy war.

For all that, I'm still highly unlikely to change my view of Putin. You can read about this stuff, in which case, yes, you have to be careful of bias. Or you can read nothing at all, and remain in a blank state of ignorance, where your views are formed from what, exactly? You know better than the masses of material out there about Putin? Than the actions of the Russian state that are clearly visible? You think it can be that it is all fabrication? How do we know anything at all about history, since it is all written from one perspective or another?

It seems to me that you are deluding yourself. You are the one on the bandwagon, the western self-hating bandwagon that is so popular today. I acknowledge that the west isn't always wonderful, and I see the things that 'it' does which are distasteful, and wish we had done things differently. But that doesn't exculpate Putin.

Syria? Well, I daresay there are strategic manoeuvrings about oil and gas. I'll support the UK's position if it is for our strategic advantage, unless it came to another Iraq-style war. But that is simplistic, and I'm not going into it further here.

Douma? Jury is still out for me. As I said, I'm just thankful the 'retaliation' didn't develop into a wider conflict. Let's hope it stays that way.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:36 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Lord Percy.
Just to keep it from being lost amongst other points and discussion:

What makes your views and arguments any more valid or true than mine?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read all of this so forgive me if this has been said before. Can anybody explain what the difference is between a 'chemical' weapon and a conventional bomb in the ability and intention to harm people? Sure, they do it in different ways, but the intention is just the same. With this in mind, I wonder why the West chose to send the missiles over at this point and not before? As with all things 'foreign policy-wise' there is an agenda, but I can't work it out.

The only thing I can think of is to have a go at the Russians by proxy because our Government was made to look like muppets over the novichok business. Either that or Trump wanted to flex his muscles and we agreed to help in exchange for a guarantee of favourable trade deals in the future...

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chemicals are considered less humane and indiscriminate.

I know killing someone is hardly humane, but it's down to the suffering it causes.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you're that bright you haven't answered the question he asked, you mong.

bnp72 wrote:
I suspect...

Is that your proof now, your scooby doo hunch? Soft melt.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
@Lord Percy.
Just to keep it from being lost amongst other points and discussion:

What makes your views and arguments any more valid or true than mine?

Absolutely nothing at all makes my views and arguments any more valid.

You're the one saying I'm biased, anti-west, uninformed etc just because I take the words of the state and the mainstream media machine with a grain of salt. You could be absolutely right, and so could I. I just get the feeling you're more certain of your 'definitely Russia did this' view than I am of my 'this all stinks' view.

Note that 'this all stinks' does not imply any taking of sides.

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russia needs to be demonised. You need to demonise an enemy before you can get your populace behind a war. You need good propaganda as black as it comes. "By deception thou shalt do war", whether that's raping nuns and putting babies on bayonets (WW1), Oy vey your grandmother was made into a lampshade for Ilse Koche and melted down into soap in 6 different camps (the soap or rather human fat is also a WW1 re-hash), they threw the babies out of the incubators and let them die on the floor (Gulf War 1), That chicken wire enclosure that those refugees are in is a death camp (Trnopolje and the Yugoslavia destabilisation and war against Serbia for our glorious snackbar allies), he's giving Viagra to troops to rape the women (Libya), whatever shit works you use it or fabricate it. If you need to burn a used up agent you've got most of the info you wanted, then you do it. As long as the public have it firmly planted in the general mass of idiots that make up the populace that it was that Putin that did it, them Russians are bastards, that Assad is a monster that gasses kids because I saw it on Sky News I did, then you're good to go. Kill Russians or bomb Syrian civilians and it's all good. The Guardian and BBC will put the right captions on whatever useful photos to fool the gullible into buying whatever emotional shit you're selling.

It works every time. We deserve all the war and death we get. Go die for Israel and Saudi Arabia like good goyim. If you don't do it now in Syria you'll be doing it in 5+ years time in Iran. Send your kids to die for cheaper non-Russian gas prices. Your central heating needs you!

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One fantastic little oddity I will note here is that conflict is often used as a means to bring a nation together.

I notice that myself and mpd72, who hates me so much that he childishly blocked me long ago, are of exactly the same mindset here. Conflict has brought us together Wub

Someone quote me so he can see this. Hey mpd72 you wanker, we finally agree on something Very Happy Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:08 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoted the salient parts of your post. Thumbs Up

Lord Percy wrote:
Hey mpd72 you wanker
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 21 of 35