Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CB500 2001 gearbox knocking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

salem1987
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:17 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: CB500 2001 gearbox knocking Reply with quote

On the way to MOT the bike developed a strong vibrating noise under acceleration that sounded like the sprocket carrier bearing had failed.

Turns out the bike makes the noise if put in gear with no chain on, a heavy knocking sound at low rpms in any gear.
(If you know what a sprocket carrier/cush drive failure or knackered chain sounds like, its pretty much exactly the same!)

Clutch and basket are all fine and solid. Output shaft bearing has no obvious play either. All shafts i could get my hands on with the clutch casing off seem solid also.

Also no noise in neutral or the clutch pulled in, only when in gear.

Anyone got any ideas before i start splitting the engine?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:43 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the engine oil filter.
Cut it open.
Look for Jewellery. (Expensive shiny metal)
How is the crank connected to the g/box? Chain or direct drive?
TLDR post. Razz

Is this your Primary Drive? Aye/Naw?

https://www.google.kz/search?client=ms-android-samsung&biw=360&bih=560&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=zU7bWv28HsjGsAWhlp2IBw&q=cb500+primary+drive+parts+diagram&oq=cb500+primary+drive+parts+diagram&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.12...0.0..12511...0....0.0.............mobile-gws-wiz-img.ylsYCEe16LU%3D#imgrc=eE8FG1CsssaePM:

salem1987
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:21 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice.
after much time stripping the clutch etc with no success i checked the front sprocket.
I hadnt replaced it...

Embarassed Rolling Eyes Embarassed

the hooks on the teeth from a knackered sprocket were causing the chain to ride up and make the noise.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: CB500 2001 gearbox knocking Reply with quote

salem1987 wrote:
Turns out the bike makes the noise if put in gear with no chain on, a heavy knocking sound at low rpms in any gear.

Question

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:45 - 26 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: CB500 2001 gearbox knocking Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
salem1987 wrote:

Question

'Primary Drive Chain (Engine-Clutch)'

Not the 'Drive Chain (Transmission/Gearbox-Back Wheel)'

salem1987
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:09 - 26 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the noise was apparent with the chain off at low rpm's, but seems to have disappeared when riding now the front sprocket is fresh.

Odd i know, and probably doesnt make sense. But i can only assume i heard a noise with chain off and it was just the clutch/engine internals being a bit rattly at low rpm's.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:55 - 26 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye. Front sprocket was my first thought when I ready your post, then I saw the thing about it doing it with the chain off and you saying you'd checked the output shaft for play and thought it couldn't be.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1