Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What camp bed for long use for a big bloke?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:45 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: What camp bed for long use for a big bloke? Reply with quote

As an aside to my IoM thread I'll be spending the best part of 3 weeks in a tent. I need a decent place to lay.

I'm 6'5" and ~19 stone, I'm both very broad and a chunk overweight.

I've used airbeds in the past for camping however invariably they get a puncture and leak, there seems to be no way to avoid this!

Any suggestions. Ability to get it on the back of a bike NOT essential but preferable.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.slimfast.co.uk/

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a silly question. But is there not a B&B close by, with proper beds?

I used to have a slot together temporary bed that I bought from Army surplus stores years ago.
It would meet your criteria with the exception that it is/would be to bulky for the bike, I used to use it in my van at bike meets.
Maybe teh net can throw up in a modern equivalent?

Rather than transport something there and home again, could you not buy something (cheap) there and abandon it after you’re done?
It would save having to cart even more clutter on the bike if you go down that route.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:13 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
is there not a B&B close by, with proper beds?

could you not buy aquire something there and abandon it after you’re done?

Wink

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:20 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
pepperami wrote:
is there not a B&B close by, with proper beds?

could you not buy aquire something there and abandon it after you’re done?

Wink

“Excuse me sir, is that a mattress in your kit bag?”
“No”
Shifty

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Rather than transport something there and home again, could you not buy something (cheap) there and abandon it after you’re done?
It would save having to cart even more clutter on the bike if you go down that route.

In your other thread you said there's a caravan going with your group. Couldn't you buy a decent quality aluminum framed camping bed or a zed bed and bung it in the van? As Peppers said you can always leave it behind. It may be problematic to try and buy something once you get there because loads of people do that. Maybe you can pre-order.

You'd be amazed what gets left behind (we scavenged 6 tents!) at the TT and if you think about it if you're going to be spending 20 or so nights in it its not going to work at many £ per night even if you spend £100 and throw it away at the end.

You're going to need your kip, it's tiring just being out doors let alone getting around the island, it would a false economy to skimp on your bed. Buy a good one.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:53 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: What camp bed for long use for a big bloke? Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Any suggestions. Ability to get it on the back of a bike NOT essential but preferable.

?

I've taken a full sprung mattress into Glastonbury before - for which I made a trailer to be towed with a push bike.

How about a decent self-inflating mat or two and a decent tarp or similar underneath to help prevent punctures?

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:32 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

My Dad went to the IoM outside TT Week, he stayed in a nice hotel, he enquired as to booking for TT week and how long a wait it was. The bloke laughed and said "10 years and that is only because I haven't opened booking for further ahead, normally we have the same people back every year"

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:36 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
pepperami wrote:

My Dad went to the IoM outside TT Week, he stayed in a nice hotel, he enquired as to booking for TT week and how long a wait it was. The bloke laughed and said "10 years and that is only because I haven't opened booking for further ahead, normally we have the same people back every year"

pepperami wrote:

Aside from the fact I imagine any camping gear on the IoM to have a 200% mark up, I don't need to carry it by bike taking and bringing back is not an issue, it would be nice to have something bikable as this would allow for future tours but not essential what is essential is I have decent kip for 3 weeks.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:16 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the larger, thicker "base camp" type self inflating mats can be very comfortable.

A Thai triangular cushion? Would be handy in the house in case of visitors or wanting to lounge about on the floor watching telly.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Therm-a-Rest, or similar. Not cheap but will save your back. I'm 6'3" and while I'm more like 14 stone, I know bigger lads than you tha tuse one without issue.

Difference is, we're usually on the top of bloody big hills/mountains where there's little to no flat grassy areas to pitch. Mountain Warehouses had their own version in - more like £30 and decent enough if you don't need massive insulation etc.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to give up on thermorest style mattresses after I broke my back. Just too uncomfortable. I found that the cheaper, full size airbeds work well, inflated to however soft/firm you want them. They're bulky for carrying on a bike, but I've managed it on a few occasions.

Thing is, they're cheap enough to carry 3 or 4 if not on a bike, and just bin them if they get a puncture. Can get single or double too. You'll want a decent pump for a double though.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mats - thermarest repair elite or exped downmat or synmat. Pricey but excellent.

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 07:40 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammock

Like you I'm built for comfort not speed these days and I sleep fine in a hammock
My experience of IOM and trees is non existent though so may bea non starter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:19 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've collected a few mats over the years trying to find the best one for me, and I've been using the Klymit Static V luxe insulated (the luxe bit is important) for a while now.
https://www.klymit.com/insulated-static-v-luxe-sleeping-pad.html

Quite expensive (around £100), Amazon stocks it in the UK.

It weighs under a kilo, packs down real small, easily fits in a topbox or tankbag (I regularly take it on the bike) and is insulated so you don't get cold creeping up from the floor. Thick material with a puncture kit included (which I've never had to use)

I'm 6'1 and about 17 stone and when its inflated, you can just about feel the floor if you sit on it with just your butt. The minute you spread the weight, you're fine.

Best bit? the Luxe version is really wide. 30Inches/75ish cm.

(Not me, but give you an idea of width)
https://gearjunkie.com/legacy/images/18369.jpg

As most other mats are 20 inches, I find i cant move without falling off. With the Static V, you can toss and turn all you like and there is plenty of space.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadbury wrote:
Klymit Static V luxe

NEEEEEEEED.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:22 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'4" and 16.5 stone, I sleep well on a Kampa Slumber Plus - it's not technically quite long enough, but I sleep on my side, slightly curled, mostly and don't notice problems when lying flat on my back, either. It packs down into a thin-ish roll... the bars do stick out the top of the bag a bit.

Finding a (hiking style) tent that it fits in properly is a bit of a struggle though - most have walls that come in quickly from the footprint - even though this is a low-rise bed. I ended up with one of these - this company does make some unusually (and helpfully for us long'uns) sized/shaped tents although they can be hard to track down in the UK.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

I used to have a slot together temporary bed that I bought from Army surplus stores years ago.
It would meet your criteria with the exception that it is/would be to bulky for the bike, I used to use it in my van at bike meets.
Maybe teh net can throw up in a modern equivalent?

There will be NO WHERE with vacancies. Sad

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say Helinox (£££££££) or one of the ultralight camp bed knock offs with the funny plastic rings and ally poles, but your freakishly large size may put them out of the running. You've now got me watching YouTube videos of camp beds.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1