Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where to commute from?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:28 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Where to commute from? Reply with quote

We're looking to move house.

We're in Kingston upon Thames at the moment, because we both need to be able to get into central London for work every day. Mrs Powderhead takes a train into Waterloo from Surbiton, and I ride in. It takes us both 50-55 minutes to commute to/from work, door-to-door.

Working outside of London isn't really an option right now, and neither is moving any closer to London.

Any suggestions for a nice place to live that won't mean spending any more of our valuable time commuting, that isn't too stabby?

I'd really like less of an "urban" feel, but equally I don't want an even more horrendous commute Laughing Can Kingston be beaten? Thinking

It would be interesting to hear suggestions from anyone who has a similar life or who can point me to some useful resources/opinions.

Inb4 "don't work in London" - that's not an option. I don't mind living further from London (indeed, I'd welcome it), but we have to work there right now.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Where to commute from? Reply with quote

In pretty much the same situation as you except that we're in Wimbledon. We are quite fortunate that we're in a quiet / green area and the rent has only gone up once in the last 10 years.

Where in London do work?

Kingston is scenic, although that A307/8 does my head in.

Considering moving further out too, no clue where though Thinking

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:53 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Where to commute from? Reply with quote

vice wrote:
In pretty much the same situation as you except that we're in Wimbledon.

Wimbledon is nice, but it's more expensive than here and it feels a bit more "Londony". Better commute from there though Smile I'd like to get away from that "London" feel a bit, ideally. It's getting on my tits more and more lately!

vice wrote:
Where in London do work?

I'm in the City at the moment, but I'd like to go back to Mayfair/West London to cut the commute down further. The Mrs will simply have to deal with the tube Very Happy I'd like to be out of the City pronto, and Canary Wharf can sod right off. The fewer "City" types, the better. Being surrounded by them all day makes me want to go full Columbine.

vice wrote:
Considering moving further out too, no clue where though Thinking

This is the problem. Surbiton is great for the Mrs because the trains are so good. But, there's just too many bloody people, and it's so expensive for what you get Thinking

Last edited by Powderhead on 22:32 - 11 Apr 2018; edited 1 time in total

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live in Paris and commute in via Eurostar? 2hours each way Very Happy
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:22 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Live in Paris and commute in via Eurostar? 2hours each way Very Happy

Good lord, no. Paris is even more of a shithole than London!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letchworth, just cane it down the A1 in Jedi filtering mode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:36 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epping.

Straight on the tube for the Mrs, she'll get a seat too, and you can have fun in between the Audis and BMWs on the M11/A13.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beckenham. No nearer to Bromley than that though....

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Hornchurch which is nice enough for what it is, but I have family on your side of London (Teddington area) and so I've spent plenty of time there, you definitely get what you pay for terms of nice neighbours and usable out door space.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:40 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like Kingston, away from the central part.

What about Staines (the rivery side, not the Ali-G side) or Egham? Pretty much the same as where you're at now, just slightly off the other side of Kingston, but nicer. I quite like Teddington as it goes. There's still a few funky types there. Or Hampton Court? Shepperton/Upper Halliford/Claygate (Hersham, mmmmm)

If thinking East, start BEYOND Dagenham, and never Barking (smells of poo). Try Epping, or Abridge (I LOVE Abridge/Stapleford Abbots) ... but not Chigwell, there are too many oompa-loompas living there. Mostly Central line into Chancery Lane OR Bond St. Alternatively a bit further out Ingatestone or Mountnessing is quite nice, still quite villagey and on the edge of fields - straight into Fenchurch St via West Ham, I think, a fairly sprightly commute for the Mrs.

North, you could go East Barnet Village which is quite nice, villagey - or Cockfosters has a few nice spots, too) - I was staying in N12 last week and just north of it is REALLY nice countryside. I quite like Golders Green, weirdly enough. It reminds me of parts of Auckland for some odd reason. Dunno about trains, am not good with the North , but I suppose eventually it comes down to the Northern Line to Waterloo or London Bridge?

In terms of Northwest, I'd quite like to live in Harefield Village or Ickenham, just avoiding the Heathrow blight (and not quite as expensive as Gerrards Cross, Denham and The Chalfonts/Seer Green, all of which are lovely/Chilternsy). Straight down the A40 into the West End. Probably a bit of a 'mare into the City.

As for Sarf ... well ... nothing really much there, although there are parts of Upper Sydenham which are surprisingly nice, affordable and not quite Dulwich prices. Avoid most of central Bromley, but go Beckenham or Hayes, which are both more widely-boulevarded suburban-comfortable. NB, you probably can't afford Downe (yet) but you could do worse than aspire to it Laughing

I'm seriously considering moving from where I am, and at the moment, I have *no* idea where to look.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:38 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letchworth / Hitchin / Stevenage / Knebworth - anywhere in that area is 30 minutes on the fast train out of KX.

Houseprices are vastly cheaper and you get more space / garage plus some lovely roads to ride around on.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:29 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading is 30 minutes from Paddington on the train. That’s maybe the best thing to say about it, other than it isn’t London. However this is where the south-east conurbation effectively stops and countryside begins, so plenty of suburbs and villages if you choose. It is prime commuter belt, with the train line and the M4 plus it’s on the Thames so prices can be high, but there’s plenty of variety.

Another 15 minutes on the train gets you to Didcot (getting better than it used to be) and stay on the train a little longer and you’re in Oxford.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:58 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

If thinking East, start BEYOND Dagenham

OY! Middle Finger (but I make you right, unless you are of African descent in which case you'll fit right in)
Epping/Loughton is a good call, lived there myself for a while. High rents and even higher house prices though.
It worked really well for us when my mrs worked for Citibank at Canary Wharf and I worked near Tottenham Hale. Used to
take me 20 mins to drive in in the mornings, mrs was under an hour door to door. Debden is cheaper and also on
the Central line but despite being just a couple of miles from Loughton it's noticeably 'rougher'.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:58 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies all Karma

It's definitely given us a few things to consider Thumbs Up

It's hard to narrow down a search when you've basically got the whole of the south-east to look at Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wherever you do settle down in the end, commute from there Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TbirdX wrote:
Epping.

Straight on the tube for the Mrs, she'll get a seat too, and you can have fun in between the Audis and BMWs on the M11/A13.

Not sure about that part of the central line, I used to commute to Stratford and there always seemed to be issues.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Letchworth / Hitchin / Stevenage / Knebworth - anywhere in that area is 30 minutes on the fast train out of KX.
Houseprices are vastly cheaper and you get more space / garage plus some lovely roads to ride around on.

Oh. My. God. Shocked
I was out that way yesterday delivering some cupcakes to The Large Supermarket Conglomerate That Shall Not Be Named.

Its stunning. I took myself home by the scenic route and ended up round the backroads of Hitchen and Knebworth. I had to stop and take in the pastoral beauty. Wub

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:35 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's where i live and it's a lovely area. I'm sure London is OK when you're used to it ... but you can get used to anything given enough time and i wonder if it blinds you to what else is out there.

I have a mate who lives in North London who spends more time commuting to work in Bloomsbury than it used to take me to commute in from Stevenage and i'd walk from the train station to the Office.

I'd earn about £10k more a year in London but by the time you've taken Tax off, commuting costs plus factored in the misery of 2 hours a day on public transport ... i'd not a enjoy a single penny of the tiny amount that remained in my pocket.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 363 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1