Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Acceptable summer wear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acceptable summer wear

Come on guys, give OP a break, he just wants to be accepted Laughing

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP.. I was wearing jeans, t-shirt and trainers while on a bike those last few days.
The only bike gear was a helmet and gloves.

I enjoyed every second of my ride. Lovely weather.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:19 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't care what others wear, also don't care if they come off and wear a few holes in their previously waterproof skin. Like all the other aspects of life / riding, the choice / responsibility is yours alone.

From my perspective, drop a 200+ Kg bike with a scalding hot exhaust between it and your unprotected leg and i'm fairly sure you'd be convinced of the argument for good gear. Suddenly 27 degrees would seem mild or how about a moving chain? Equally, should you fall off and slide down the road a way using your joints as brakes then i'm sure the resulting injury would alter your view of what's safe.

No one ever plans to fall off .... But dressing accordingly is an entirely personal choice.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:12 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apropos reminder: as of yesterday, all gear sold for motorcycle use in the EU must[*] be CE tested and labelled.

[*] I'm just sure that random "motorbike fashion fancy dress" Chinee drop-shippers on eBay will comply, and that eBay will take prompt action to prevent themselves earning money from those sales.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:25 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CE tested means someone else will be earning money.

As long as they don't force riders to wear only CE approved gear the change doesn't bother me.. and I'm starting to think maybe better that we won't be in the EU then.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musketeer wrote:
CE tested means someone else will be earning money.

So just stick a label on it, and in the unlikely event that Trading Standards find fault just claim it was an atypical batch, or your supplier had told you porkies.

Musketeer wrote:
As long as they don't force riders to wear only CE approved gear the change doesn't bother me....

If we were all obliged to buy approved, designated safety equipment wouldn't that make them VAT exempt?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CE thing is not a bad thing or more accurately should not be a bad thing.

The deal is not to skin folk but to help ensure that 'BIKE GEAR' does what is says on the tin.

It is a STANDARD.

Most 'important' stuff is made to some standard.

A regulation/rule/law is there to stop shit-heads from fleecing the market.

The standard will only be worthwhile as long as it is maintained and properly enforced.

Private Imports will thwart the idea of the standard.

Most folk see the need for proper stuff to allow them to do things.

There are many individuals who are more rebellious and seek to take their chances with whatever life/death throws at them.

That is their choice.

I welcome standards. I believe it is better or easier to be able to buy something and trust it will work as advertised/designed without the need to test it yourself.

So the CE thing is a move in the right direction.

Policing it will have to follow suit.

Equally, there are a lot of stuffs which should be banned toot sweet.

Things such as:
Baby-On-Board flags.
Polite Hi-Viz vests.
Big Pipes on Economy Hatch-Backs.
Private Companies dishing out Parking tickets that look 'legal/official. (They should be prosecuted for piracy.)
Lycra on a Fat-Lass.
Baklaf Bastirts.
Aspartame/Saccharin in Irn-Bru. Mad

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with CE and any other standards is the supplier/manufacturer must pay huge amounts to get their items tested and approved. In a lot of cases this means any small suppliers are fucked and the consumer loses more choice.

When I was involved with Intrinsically Safe certification the money thrown around was horrendous, 50 grand to get an item examined, then if it passed, another huge amount to get the various different certification (Lloyds, ABS, Bureau Veritas etc.) bodies to certify it for use on their ships.

It's a monopoly creator for the big boys.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not freezing cold or pissing down, I have always worn ordinary jeans on a bike. Other than that, my bike gear is pretty standard. Very occasionally, when it's really hot, I won't wear a protective jacket, but that's a very rare occurrence. One time I did that, I got knocked off the bike. In a similar accident when I was wearing a proper bike jacket, my injuries were the same again. None of which proves anything Smile

My dispute with the OP is in his use of the word "acceptable". What I don't want is for certain levels of protective equipment to become a legal requirement every time you ride. We already have that with helmets; that's far enough imo.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

What I don't want is for certain levels of protective equipment to become a legal requirement every time you ride. .

don't worry, never going to happen and impossible to enforce.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

What I don't want is for certain levels of protective equipment to become a legal requirement every time you ride. .

don't worry, never going to happen and impossible to enforce.

Is it though? Most riders do choose to wear a protective jacket from what I see, so the numbers who don't seem relatively few. The helmet law seems to work, except with the so-called "bikelife"/"baklaf" lot. And if an ordinary rider was seen by the police not wearing a helmet, in an area where those types were not common, I have no doubt he'd get nicked for it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Is it though? Most riders do choose to wear a protective jacket from what I see, so the numbers who don't seem relatively few. The helmet law seems to work

Two things. Apart from the baklaffers, the helmet law is basically accepted by the majority so it's rare to see a helmetless biker under normal circumstances (though everyone knows the James Maystory, don't they?). I suspect that's less likely to happen with clothing.

But mainly, you can't compare the two situations. A biker is either wearing a crash hat or he's not (and I'm not aware of any major market in illegal, ie non-approved helmets) so a bare-headed biker is dead easy to spot and has no defence. Whereas, if you're going to say that all riders need to wear an approved jacket, then apart from pulling the T-shirt brigade, that's going to be next to impossible to police. Plod isn't going to be able to identify an 'illegal' jacket for certain without stopping a rider and making him disrobe at the roadside to display the "CE" (or whatever) label in the garment. And that 'illegal' clothing is going to be hard to spot - eg compare a so-called leather fashion 'biker' jacket made from the offcuts of a DFS sofa with a Kevlar hoodie fitted with armour.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:58 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy enough to see if someone is wearing a lid but telling if it's one which meets the required standards isn't so straight forward.

For example, dirt bike helmets look very similar to many full face mountain bike helmets. Okay wearing a dirt bike lid probably increases the chances of you being pulled over by a bored traffic cop but when did you last hear about a traffic cop examining someone's helmet (Laughing) to see if it's road legal?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be easy enough to create within such a law a requirement that an item of clothing has a readily visible marking that confirms it's approval as a legal item. You might not get pulled just for wearing a non-approved jacket, but it's one more thing you could be prosecuted for. Those not wearing a jacket at all would be easier targets.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The problem with CE and any other standards is the supplier/manufacturer must pay huge amounts to get their items tested and approved. In a lot of cases this means any small suppliers are fucked and the consumer loses more choice.

When I was involved with Intrinsically Safe certification the money thrown around was horrendous, 50 grand to get an item examined, then if it passed, another huge amount to get the various different certification (Lloyds, ABS, Bureau Veritas etc.) bodies to certify it for use on their ships.

Yes it looks like that but it is REALLY a control to prevent shite getting into the system.
It costs money for quality. It's the cnuts who make cheap-shit or fake who cause the problem.
Under-Cutting doesn't mean quality for less.
It normally means less quality. 😊

bassmastergen...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:54 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Acceptable summer wear Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
So is it acceptable to dress down to this extent in the hot weather or does it mark you down as a prat?

Yes on both counts but, really, who gives a shit? It's not me (or you, by the sounds of it) that's going to be picking gravel, dog crap, discarded needles etc. out of my arse if/when I fall off, so I say leave these cabbages to it.

Other bikers are no more my brethren than car drivers are when I'm out in the Hilux, so I couldn't care less either way.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Look, it was a lazy choice of words on my part Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
I guess I just wanted to know what everyone else does to keep cool in the summer.

Open all vents and factor in an ice cream stop.
I must admit, seeing scantily clad riders makes me cringe a bit but its none of my bee's.
Even better if they're not wearing a lid, in which case they are pikeys so deserve all that fate has in store.

OmegaA
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good topic as it is my pain point
My Rukka jacket and trousers are fine for anything except heat and I wonder what I could wear instead and how I could store it.
I don’t usually travel to work and then back home on the same day, but instead I stay on client’s site for a week when the weather can change drastically. And even though most of my trips is on motorways, I often get into jammed places like London or Edinburgh.
Another question is how to store it - my top box is full, I cannot have side bags
I read about Rokker Rokkertech jeans and shirt, but not sure how good they are - while the quality of make is high, and I can carry it with me, the UHMWPE seems to start melting and losing strength at around +80 Celsius, so not sure how well it will protect me if I fall on a motorway. Also read reviews where users claimed they could not walk easily in Rokkertech jeans with installed knee pads.
Thanks

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Yes it looks like that but it is REALLY a control to prevent shite getting into the system.
It costs money for quality. It's the cnuts who make cheap-shit or fake who cause the problem.
Under-Cutting doesn't mean quality for less.
It normally means less quality. 😊

You are missing the point. When the costs to have something tested are prohibitive, then they are excluding on cost, not on quality.

If the costs that are charged to get it approved can only be accommodated by large volume manufacturers then if you make one off garments to order you are not going to be able to get CE approval and keep those garments anywhere near competitive irrespective of quality.

Yes, it get's rid of the cowboys, but they could get rid of the cowboys for a damn sight less if they wanted, and accommodate low volume, high quality suppliers.

But, this is an argument for if it became compulsory, and it won't happen.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:00 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
You are missing the point.

I don't miss the point. There are more than one point. And I get all the points you made.
But it is not as simple as the big guns running a Closed Shop.

If there were not scrots trying to sell shit and passing it off as quality then there would be no need to certify gear.

The issue is to ensure stuff offers a minimum protection.

It to help people to not be duped.

It is not just big companies fixing a cartel.

I have heard that since it was introduced several years ago and a lot of Service Companies adopted certification/accreditation.

There is no real reasonable argument against a demand for quality.

We have to have a standard to base this on.

We could go way back to everyone having no standards. No Pounds/Kilograms, Feet/Metres, Gallons/litres and cetera.

Do you see that point?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:04 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OmegaA wrote:
Good topic as it is my pain point
My Rukka jacket and trousers are fine for anything except heat and I wonder what I could wear instead and how I could store it.
I don’t usually travel to work and then back home on the same day, but instead I stay on client’s site for a week when the weather can change drastically. And even though most of my trips is on motorways, I often get into jammed places like London or Edinburgh.
Another question is how to store it - my top box is full, I cannot have side bags
I read about Rokker Rokkertech jeans and shirt, but not sure how good they are - while the quality of make is high, and I can carry it with me, the UHMWPE seems to start melting and losing strength at around +80 Celsius, so not sure how well it will protect me if I fall on a motorway. Also read reviews where users claimed they could not walk easily in Rokkertech jeans with installed knee pads.
Thanks

Look for a motocross jacket. I think a company Merlin sell a Mesh jacket that has CE armour in.
The one I have is Hein Gericke (spelling) but too wee for me. Embarassed So I'm looking for a summer jacket now.

Edit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Merlin-Mondello-Mesh-Motorcycle-Jacket-Black-New-SMALL-Waterproof-Mens-Bike-Coat-/152702241226

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:12 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
You are missing the point.

I don't miss the point. There are more than one point. And I get all the points you made.
But it is not as simple as the big guns running a Closed Shop.

If there were not scrots trying to sell shit and passing it off as quality then there would be no need to certify gear.

The issue is to ensure stuff offers a minimum protection.

It to help people to not be duped.

It is not just big companies fixing a cartel.

I have heard that since it was introduced several years ago and a lot of Service Companies adopted certification/accreditation.

There is no real reasonable argument against a demand for quality.

We have to have a standard to base this on.

We could go way back to everyone having no standards. No Pounds/Kilograms, Feet/Metres, Gallons/litres and cetera.

Do you see that point?

Yes, and I accept all you have said but the point I am making is the one you are not addressing.

In the industry i know, it costs (or did about 5 years ago) £50000 to get an intrinsically safe certificate for a set of tests that take one person less than a day. Then the approving bodies add their mark up to put it on their accepted lists.

It's a big money merrygo round that keeps the small player out of the loop unless he is willing to take a huge financial risk that has nothing to do with quality.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:49 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the way to the lakes this weekend i had to go fast just to keep cool.. honest officer![/i]

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Yes, and I accept all you have said but the point I am making is the one you are not addressing.

I am not 'Not addressing' that point. (I did say is is not simply a cartel.)

It just happens to be the cost to be in that industry.

I want to build parts for aircraft at my engineering shop because I believe it is a lucrative market and profits are attractive.
I have many fiery hoops to pass through to achieve that.
I cannot complain that the big boys are squeezing me out.
It is just a way to keep planes in the sky and not crash to the ground.

If you cannot afford to do the stuff to play in the game then do something else.

But selling stuff as 'protective equipment when the protection offered is sub-standard is not fair on consumers.

I do not think there are any folk on BCF who would like to invest the money and time to test the gear they buy to ensure it will do what they hope it claims it can do.

We rely on manufacturers doing all this for us.

We do not have to go through every potato and carrot at the supermarket to find the good ones we like. The producers/suppliers 'select' the ones we like.
They pass the cost onto us.

I understand and I accept that there is a cost to be certified. How much did I have to pay for my Uni Degree?
Why was I forced to pay for that?
It was unfair as there are lots of folk out there with University of Life Degrees who never paid anything.
Smile

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just need something to keep the saggy old man balls from flapping in the wind.

https://i.imgflip.com/1zbhhq.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4