Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

More eBay

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: More eBay Reply with quote

Bought a widget off eBay about 5 weeks ago; it failed so I asked the seller to replace it, and got turned down flat without explanation (the explanation being of course 'because I can get away with it') - I believe eBay covers buyers with a 30-day guarantee after which you're on your own, mate?

The widget was clearly unfit for purpose; if it was an expensive item I'd already sent the Letter Before Action in preparation for the small claims court; but its only a couple of quid so I'm not fussed financially. The attitude just pisses me off though and I'm an awkward bugger when I want to be. Does an eBay buyer have no recourse in this situation other than (shock, horror) negging the seller?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there is if you jump through hoops but TBH if it's something I worry about failing/money I pay a few quid extra and go with Amazon or a 'name' retailer.

If a motor car seller (Junction 17 Whistle ) can get away with the shit they do, then ebay sellers can too, annoying as it is.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had a fite with some tossir on eBay.

Looking through the forum (coz eBay won't even let you contact the office now) I saw a post about some seller crying in his porridge about being skunked by a buyer.

Boo hoo...

I've been skunked a couple of times by sellers on eBay so fair is fair.

OP.. some sellers are very sensitive about their ratings.
Bad review the Arsehole and put the gadget in the relevant coloured wheely-bin if it so offends you. 😊

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't PayPal 90 days?

EDIT ^ 180 days apparently.

Last edited by Jewlio Rides Again LLB on 15:35 - 23 Apr 2018; edited 1 time in total

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paypal dispute it.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bodystallion's got it right, actually... Laughing

There's no recourse within PayPal - the relevant transaction is identified as being an eBay one, and just directs you to the eBay Resolution Centre. If I look in there, my transaction is rather laughably flagged as "Return is complete" (and more detail shows simply that "Seller refused return request"). Seller negged and I've moved on.

Never had this experience before actually - something of an eye-opener which will make me think twice about ordering more expensive gizmos off eBay in future (not that I often do, anyway)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:11 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone eBay customer services people and ask them to help.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Never had this experience before actually - something of an eye-opener which will make me think twice about ordering more expensive gizmos off eBay in future (not that I often do, anyway)

Had it loads Confused Most of the Chinese stuff you get on eBay/even in the shops seems to be cheap tat barely fit for purpose. That's the good thing about Amazon, they have no quibble returns (if it's Amazon/Amazon fulfilled).

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Had it loads Confused Most of the Chinese stuff you get on eBay/even in the shops seems to be cheap tat barely fit for purpose.

Oh, I've had the tat alright! But had no particular problem like this with refunds/replacements before.
It's the complete stonewalling/intransigence/arrogance of both eBay and the seller this time that has surprised me somewhat.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
M.C wrote:
Had it loads Confused Most of the Chinese stuff you get on eBay/even in the shops seems to be cheap tat barely fit for purpose.

Oh, I've had the tat alright! But had no particular problem like this with refunds/replacements before.
It's the complete stonewalling/intransigence/arrogance of both eBay and the seller this time that has surprised me somewhat.

It's a glorified gumtree with a bit of protection.

The really good thing about ebay is the size of audience when selling. Buying is pot luck/reading between the lies. It has it's uses but I wouldn't buy a £800 Iphone form it, thats for sure.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:38 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: More eBay Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Bought a widget off eBay about 5 weeks ago; it failed so I asked the seller to replace it, and got turned down flat without explanation (the explanation being of course 'because I can get away with it') - I believe eBay covers buyers with a 30-day guarantee after which you're on your own, mate?

The widget was clearly unfit for purpose; if it was an expensive item I'd already sent the Letter Before Action in preparation for the small claims court; but its only a couple of quid so I'm not fussed financially. The attitude just pisses me off though and I'm an awkward bugger when I want to be. Does an eBay buyer have no recourse in this situation other than (shock, horror) negging the seller?

Buy another one off him then send the fucked one back. If he disputes it say it’s a coincidence you’ve bought two which have both gone faulty. Laughing

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I'm sure there is if you jump through hoops but TBH if it's something I worry about failing/money I pay a few quid extra and go with Amazon or a 'name' retailer.

This, most new stuff on eBay is just utter shite.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 363 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1