Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What kitchen sink?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:38 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: What kitchen sink? Reply with quote

I hate my kitchen sink, it's stainless (well it isn't, it has plenty of stains) too small and flimsy as fuck the tap is done up tight and still flexes like 10-15 degrees.

What should I look for? Does all stainless flex like that? I'm open to whatever material is best, procing it meets the missus aproval. I'd rather so pick it up than pay £££ for shipping any good places to look beyond the usual suspects, Screwfix, B&Q, Wickes etc.

I (well she) wants a '1.5' Bowl.

Budget is £150-200.

Any suggestions

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sit on?
Inset?
Undermount?

You can't be far from Ikea they have loads.

We just fitted a Domsjo onset ceramic sink from Ikea.

It's really cool as well as expensive looking.

That would be my choice but may not fit the space you have.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a full on butler sink, but would not recommend it. Eventually you'll chip it (or in my case the wife), and anything you drop in it will smash as it has no give at all. It was also bastard heavy to fit.

High quality stainless will be thicker and won't bend and flex or stain, scuff and mark up without serious abuse. Some of the current stainless sinks are woefully light guage. You really need to get hold of some in person.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a big B&Q and look in the trade bit. That's where my plumber mate gets his stuff from. Last one I got was GRP I think. Its still there and not leaking or flexing so no complaints.

OGR

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franke stuff is very good.

I fitted a Franke stainless double sink at my old place in Romford, it was bought originally for a job at work, it was
left over at the end for some reason and brought back to the yard where it sat unused, gathering dust in the Stores.
It was £300 worth with all the baskets and chopping boards and and I gave my boss 80 quid for it for the kitchen I was
midway through fitting. Anyway, it was very good quality heavy stainless, solid like an 80's Volvo.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend Franke too.

And Grohe taps

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just fitted a franke ascona and that was that sort of money.

It's nice. Waste kit comes separate though so make sure you pick one up (plug etc)
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:42 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I bought a black composite one 1.5 from Wickes for around £150.

I'm happy with it 2 years on, easy to clean and quite solid.

I think that's what we are going to for, there is a FRANKE one in Homebase for £170.

There was one in Screwfix for 150 that was ideal but no stock unfortunately...

robs321
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:47 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a bracket that fixes to the underside of the worktop and stiffens up the tap. Howdens and benchmarx sell them with their shonky cheap sinks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:56 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs321 wrote:
You can get a bracket that fixes to the underside of the worktop and stiffens up the tap. Howdens and benchmarx sell them with their shonky cheap sinks!

Tried one of those a while ago made fuck all difference.

All fitted and os MUCH better.

This is the sink.

https://www.homebase.co.uk/franke-gemini-black-reversible-kitchen-sink-1-5-bowl_p424344

It is an order of magnitude better quality than the one before, the included wastes scream quality.

Can't recommend it enough Thumbs Up

Ended up cheaping out on the tap and going with a chinese one but the reviews for the brand seemed very positive. It was 1/3 a cost of the branded equivalent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07787LCF4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was impressed with the quality, much better than I was expecting it was packaged well and I feel like it is really punching above it's price point.

Install wasn't totally smooth. Rather than dig in the shed for my white pencil, I decided to use a normal one and squint. Bad move, I accidentally cut a ~15mm line beyond the edge of the sink. Massive props to ColorFill It's great stuff, I told my missus I had made a mistake around the edge of the sink and she couldn't see it. Thumbs Up

Other than that the old sink was a push fit into the waste at behind the unit, when I fit all the new stuff it wouldn't seal. I was going to replace the 90 degree push fit but it wouldn't come off I had 2 options pull out the washing machine and replace the pipe and put a new 90 on or silicone the shit out of it.

Silicone FTW Cool I left it for ~24 hours to dry and it seems fine.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a huge old school one from gumtree for £30,
heavy and will smash anything you drop into it (well, until we put a perforated tray thingy in there) but yeah. Do like. Would do again.
Hated the old newbuild stainless jobbies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1