Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

White gloss that stays white

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: White gloss that stays white Reply with quote

Hi,

In 2015 I used Dulux once brilliant white gloss paint to do my indoor doors and frames. Within a few months anything not in direct sunlight had turned yellow. I understand this was caused by changes to the VOC levels in paints as dicated by our masters in the EU.

I'm hoping that enough time has now passed that manufacturers have managed to create a white paint that remains white. Nonetheless, does anyone have recommendations of a hardwearing, white gloss paint that remains white?

Cheers,

Donny

EDIT: indoor doors/frames

Last edited by DrDonnyBrago on 15:05 - 25 Apr 2018; edited 1 time in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weathershield.

It's prohibitively expensive but I have had that on my front door door since 2014. It's still white. Flaked in the spots some lazy-bastirt never prepped properly.

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:04 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found water based stays whiter longer but it doesn't leave a good finish like traditional paint

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:45 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably latex based.

I went one better and painted a door with it and it all peeled off the underlying normal gloss and had to strip both fecking lots off again with a heat gun and scraper. Sucked!

Professional painters don't fuck about with low VOC gloss.

So get something like dulux trade/professional.

If it's not in a metal can, you don't want it.

I most recently used Leyland Trade paint on my skirtings, happy with it.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue. Brilliant white gloss is now smokers teeth yellow. I'll be fecked if I'm painting it again anytime soon though.

To say I'm slightly miffed is an understatement though. How do these companies get away with it? As nowhere on the tin does it suggest it'll only be white for a few months.

I wonder what colour my recently painted yellow bathroom will be in a few months time? Thinking

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:09 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some window sills and door frames a couple of years ago with Dulux Trade High Gloss Pure Brilliant White and it has actually stayed white.

When applying it the old paint was cleaned and roughened slightly before a few coat of undercoat and then the Dulux gloss paint got three coats that were roughened very slightly between coats.

It was quite a bit of hassle and quite possibly OTT with the preparation and number of coats but meh, I wanted it to stay white for a good number of years and it seems to be exactly that.

Would use again. Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How very traditional. I don't have a white skirting board or window sill anywhere in my house.

Paint racists. Folded arms

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:29 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand

Associating the phrase "pure brilliant white" with racism is your unconscious bias being racist.

Crying or Very sad

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
How very traditional. I don't have a white skirting board or window sill anywhere in my house.

Paint racists. Folded arms

The previous occupiers had (badly) painted everything black , even the sodding radiator was painted matt black. I had to restore British values in a British house. Wink

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
I had the same issue. Brilliant white gloss is now smokers teeth yellow. I'll be fecked if I'm painting it again anytime soon though.

To say I'm slightly miffed is an understatement though. How do these companies get away with it? As nowhere on the tin does it suggest it'll only be white for a few months.

I wonder what colour my recently painted yellow bathroom will be in a few months time? Thinking

White of course!

Edit. Test.

Last edited by Jewlio Rides Again LLB on 20:54 - 25 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Dulux quick drying gloss 7years ago, and it's stayed white. It has chipped off in places over time, but it's not yellowed. I used trade gloss in the spare room and wardrobe and it went yellow after a year or so.

Prep, was a light key sand, and wipe over with white spirit before painting. Am now dubious of trade gloss as I think it's just easier to use and goes on better/faster. The quick dry stuff maybe dries before the air gets into the paint?

Oh and I always avoid all these one coat paints, as I've never had a one coat paint that was satisfactory, apart from quick dry gloss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I used Dulux quick drying gloss 7years ago, and it's stayed white. It has chipped off in places over time

Was it painted over an oil based product? If so, that could explain the chipping...water-based paint doesn't adhere to oil-based paint too well (using something like Zinsser 123 as an undercoat would help).

stinkwheel wrote:

Professional painters don't fuck about with low VOC gloss.
So get something like dulux trade/professional.

The VOC levels are the same for oil-based Trade, Professional and DIY paints, it's just the coverage, opacity and price that varies
Trade > Professional > DIY

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dulux trade has always been the best for staying white i'v found, hella pricey compared to other trade paints though, it tends to go slightly grey so looks whiter.
All oil based paints turn yellow, just as they did before the eu voc thing, just now paints don't cover anywhere near as good.

Your choices are basically oil based (will turn yellow eventually) or quick drying/water based that has a horrible finish and is nowhere near as hard wearing.

Whichever you go for stear clear of any paint that doesn't have trade written on the tin.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:19 - 26 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, gloss looks shit anyways.

Use Satin type paints for a nicer finish.

We used Dulux trade Satinwood over 2 years ago and its still nice and white.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 26 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valspar from B&Q. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:59 - 26 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add. While I'm not sure about it's whiteness, the weathershield paint mentioned by MCN seems to be the paint of choice in the wooden canoe building fraternity.

If people are using it to paint the outside of plywood boats, which tend to be either in the water or upside down on trestles in a garden, it says a lot about its longevity.

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:00 - 26 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always use Dulux satinwood for years and the only place it goes white is under the radiator and I only notice it when repainting. I tried B&Q own brand a few years back and it went yellow very quickly.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all,

Think I'll try a water based satin paint.

And +1 to dulux weathershield, I have a lot of external woodwork painted with it - very good stuff. Yellowing doesn't appear to be an issue when exposed to UV which explains why my outdoor wood is still bright white.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use satinwood- to us it looks newer for longer compared to gloss, if that makes sense.

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:59 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to others, dulux trade brilliant white worked well for me in the past (not that i painted it on myself).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1