Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Northern Ireland

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kamikaze Bob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:12 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Northern Ireland Reply with quote

Not been on in a while, and haven't seen this posted, so apologies if I've missed it here.

Me and my mate planning our yearly trip round the Highlands, were looking at the NC500 in 3 days, including up there and back from Glasgow. But someone on a Scottish biking group posted a link that has us thinking something else - https://www.stenaline.co.uk/bikes3. NC500 is going nowhere, but this deal might not come up again.

We can get down to Stranraer pretty easily, then have 2 days total riding round Ireland (half day after ferry, full day then half day before ferry back). Only thing is, I have no idea about Irish roads, where the good ones are, etc. and looking for some advice. The only time I've ever been over was around 10 years ago for the Motherwell pre-season friendly tour, and someone was driving most of the week so all I saw are dual carriageways, which we'd like to avoid if possible.

350+ mile days aren't an issue for us, as we just like to ride as long as we can, and looking at the map we could probably take in Ireland as well as the Northern half, so any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Also, I've never crossed a border in a vehicle, anywhere, so have no idea what the deal is if our route - or general wanderings - take us into the southern half. Is it fairly simple to just ride across? I know there are supposed to be shitloads of crossings but really don't have a scooby on that front.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Northern Ireland Reply with quote

Kamikaze Bob wrote:
I've never crossed a border in a vehicle, anywhere, so have no idea what the deal is if our route - or general wanderings - take us into the southern half. Is it fairly simple to just ride across?

The only reason you'll know you're crossing the border is a warning sign pointing out that speed limits are in mph/kmh as appropriate.

https://res.cloudinary.com/jpress/image/fetch/c_fill,f_auto,q_auto:eco,w_960/https://inews.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/GettyImages-530478418-e1522315762497-960x558.jpg

At least until Brexit Mad

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:55 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try and get a road race in your schedule, as well as some scenic routes?
Been wanting to go over for a long time as going to TT is just too expensive so your link to ferry deal could be handy.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/northern-ireland/articles/Motorbiking-in-Northern-Ireland-The-scenic-route-to-the-race-of-legends/

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:01 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although dates seems to contradict on their website.
Quote:
When can I go?
Daily until 16 December (excludes 28th Mar -8th April inclusive / 4th – 7th May inclusive, 25th May – 28th May inclusive, 16th – 17th June).

Quote:
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
3 day return fare is valid for travel on any sailing until 26 June (excludes 28th Mar -8th April inclusive / 4th – 7th May inclusive, 25th May – 28th May inclusive, 16th – 17th June).

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1