Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sprinting.... Anyone ever done it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

roboff94
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:55 - 27 Dec 2016    Post subject: Sprinting.... Anyone ever done it? Reply with quote

Alright guys (and girls)...

Theres a Sprint thats held near me every year, Hoghton Tower if anyone knows it? Been to watch the last few years and it looks pretty fun, wouldnt mind having a go.

Ive had a look on the website and i think i can get away with having a one day ACU licence from the people who organise it, anyone had one of these before?. Im still on my A2 so i dunno if that would make any difference if anyone knows?

As for the bike, ive got the VFR and the H100, both just road bikes, so if i enter them into a road class category i wouldnt have to change anything would i?

Cheers peeps...

Tom

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:34 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

One for Ariel, or talk to the organising club.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:04 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Sprinting.... Anyone ever done it? Reply with quote

Sprint racing is quite likely a lot laxer on scruiteneering.

Actually; details here: https://www.acu.org.uk/Uploaded/1/Documents/ACU%20Handbook%202017/ACU%20HANDBOOK_2017_lo.pdf

Seems lockwiring and as I read it a chain guard will be needed.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen a requirement fo lock wiring when sprinting. Mostly they want a chain guard and leathers that are either 1 piece or zip together. If you have a road licence you're unlikely to get turned away.

Your best bet is to email or phone the organiser. Most sprinters love nothing better than to talk for hours about it especially if it means attracting new blood.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:24 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They made sure the petrol tank was attached to the bike, my wheels were bolted on and that I had some sort of brake system.

I think I needed an ACU gold rated helmet too?

It's great fun.

I was second slowest on the day. Got a 19.56s @64mph. Someone else had a 50cc.

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/dragenfield.jpg

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out, I did this at the IOM. Just turned up, bike had the lightest of glances then I was ragging it up and down the Ramsey Sprint.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:12 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I was forgetting it's mostly straight-line.
(Feeling it's just a handful that have any kind of corner.)

That being the case, good few years ago a load of us went to Straightliners at Elvington - only pretty basic check over of the bike.
Not sure if that was an ACU sanctioned event or not.

We didn't particularly care about the competition - and I'd say it doesn't offer much over a normal drag racing day for the most part, so wouldn't make an effort to go a specific sprint meeting over a general drag event.

roboff94
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:24 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies people Very Happy I'll have a read up on that link, ta G.

Well its only like down the road from me so its pretty handy to have a go at rather than trekking to a proper strip. Im pretty sure my Helmets got an ACU sticker on it aswell so thats good Thumbs Up

Yeah im not planning on being fastest haha, thats why im tempted to have a go on the H100, good excuse to be slow...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:11 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Sprinting.... Anyone ever done it? Reply with quote

I actually find the concrete etc surfaces better for traction than proper drag strips.

The VFR has a close ratio gearbox, so great for track (with corners) but isn't great compared to other 400s.

Not sure what classes they run, but normally they are based on times - the common time classes are 9.5,10.5,11.5,12.5 etc.
You are looking to be as close to that time as possible without being faster - so if you do 10.49 you're at the back of the 9.5s rather than front of the 10.5s. This takes money out of it a good degree as even for 9.5 you don't need to spend too silly amounts I believe (ie big cc bike lowered at the front a bit, with a bit longer swingarm or whatever I would guess.)

Dave_80
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 01:52 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers op,you've found something my bike might not be totally shite at...

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:52 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Sprinting.... Anyone ever done it? Reply with quote

G wrote:

Not sure what classes they run, but normally they are based on times - the common time classes are 9.5,10.5,11.5,12.5 etc.
You are looking to be as close to that time as possible without being faster - so if you do 10.49 you're at the back of the 9.5s rather than front of the 10.5s. This takes money out of it a good degree as even for 9.5 you don't need to spend too silly amounts I believe (ie big cc bike lowered at the front a bit, with a bit longer swingarm or whatever I would guess.)

Are you confusing it with bracket racing? If you break out of your bracket you don't get automatically punted up into the next fastest bracket, you just don't get a time - you've 'broken out'.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done some sprinting when younger, even done it at Hoghton Towers. Its a 1/8 mile sprint up the house driveway. Gets a lot of interesting vintage bikes ridden by old blokes like me. Good fun, plenty of bikes to look at in between the 7 or 8 seconds of action. Can't remember the specific bike requirements but not as demanding as other forms of motorsport.

OGR

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:08 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: Sprinting.... Anyone ever done it? Reply with quote

[quote="Pete."
Are you confusing it with bracket racing? If you break out of your bracket you don't get automatically punted up into the next fastest bracket, you just don't get a time - you've 'broken out'.[/quote]
From what I can see this is how Straightliners runs the slower classes and I believe they are considered 'sprint' as far as bikes go.
(Though they seem to have changed the brackets to x.10 since I did it.)

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:25 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprinting you enter your bike into a bike class, not a time class. The rules are tighter for entry because it caters for a wide range of bikes from vintage to classic but you'll find a class for your bike whatever you ride.

Straightliners is mostly bracket racing, not sprinting. You enter into a particular time bracket regardless of what type of bike (subject to some appropriate rules). The two fastest classes top bike and comp bike are bike classes though and run as elimination rounds IIRC.

Ah, a quick look at Straightliners current rules says that they actually do bump a break-out up into the next fastest bracket. I'm sure that they didn't used to do that automatically, but they used to force a bike that repeatedly broke out to enter into the class above.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:50 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could swear when I did it, I was in a 250 class - but the only results remaining (posted on BCF) seem to suggest brackets.

I thought I'd come 2nd or 3rd in 250 class, mostly due to not many entrants - though 12.83 not too bad for a 250 anyway. (It was a tuned KR1S trackbike.)

I'm not sure I even particularly chose a class - we were just there for a bit of fun.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you enter a RWYB event? Normal classes don't apply though they do sometimes run alongside regular events.

One other similarity between sprint and bracket is that the clock starts when you break the beam, not with the light. The light just tells you that it's safe to go. In heads-up drag racing the light starts the clock and the first across the line is the winner, so it's easy for the slower bike to win over the faster one if their reaction time is better.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:30 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we were just going along for the RWYB aspect.
However my results are explicitly presented in the "Class 12.50" results.

This was in 2003, so things may have changed since then Smile.

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:56 - 13 Feb 2017    Post subject: Re: Sprinting.... Anyone ever done it? Reply with quote

roboff94 wrote:
Alright guys (and girls)...

Theres a Sprint thats held near me every year, Hoghton Tower if anyone knows it? Been to watch the last few years and it looks pretty fun, wouldnt mind having a go.

There is also a Hill climb at Leighton Hall, that's not far away from you.
That seems to attract various types of bikes and shouldn't be much different to the sprint except for a corner or 2.

https://leightonhallmotorcyclehillclimb.co.uk/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 68 days between these two posts...

roboff94
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:57 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well im not one for dragging up old threads, but thought id add to this.

Hoghton Tower sprint was this sunday just gone and i had a go at it, had an ace day out, loved every minute of it!

Entered both my bikes into the relevant RWYB classes, so just took the mirrors and plates off, taped up the lights and stuff and that was it apart from the race numbers. As said in this thread i was worrying about my numbers being regulation size and all that, but no one seemed to mind. I had to join the club that runs it, and get a once day race license which was 15 quid or so on top of the entry fee.

Got two practice runs in the morning then three timed in the afternoon, so got a good amount of time on the course. The best way to do it is deffo van/trailer your bike/s there, and not ride them like i did, ended up needing enlist someone to ride the other bike and drive my car filled with the gazeebo/tools/food. Results havent been posted yet, so im not 100% sure how i did.

I was never gonna win any prizes but i had an ace day out, worst part was the weather which was pretty naff, track was soaked and loads of mud from the paddock ended up all over it.

If anyones thinking of having a go id definitely recommend it, i had a great time. I'll stick a few pics up when ive sorted them out...

Ta!

Tom

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:30 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top chap! I hadn't seen the original posts, I wonder if my 250 might have a chance of not coming last in one? Will have a look at the links and stuff, I bet there won't be one near me and can't trailer the bike because the car cannot tow.

Lowmk1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:51 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turned up to this had a good day out even tho weather was poor, some bikes were all over the place as track got more greasy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1