Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Picos de Europa - Experiences/recommendations please.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:24 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Picos de Europa - Experiences/recommendations please. Reply with quote

Looking to do a jolly next year with the gents I went away with in 2016 and after reading the positive reviews of the area on here I'd like to put forward a week exploring the Picos from a fairly central base to allow for day long rides out without carrying all our gear or having to endure long stretches of motorway type roads to get mileage covered.

Has anyone got any recommendations for places to stay, routes to ride, things that can't be missed etc?

In 2016 we did the down the N240, Pyrenees and the Alps via the south of France, are there any parallels to be drawn between either of those mountain ranges and the Picos?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, we'll likely be sailing on the Portsmouth - Santander/Bilbao ferry as it was a nice crossing last time and lands us up close to where we need to be.

Thanks in advance.

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:50 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chickenstrip did a trip there last year, the prep for the trip starts here if you want to jump to the diary of the trip it can found here.

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:52 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would make a good base
https://hotelpicosdeuropa.com/

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Hotel+Picos+de+Europa/@43.3026319,-4.8189737,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0xd361a357b88e6ab:0x4f2134e1a6a4b42e!8m2!3d43.302628!4d-4.816785?hl=en

or if you prefer a coastal location Llanes (pronounced Yanez) is very nice.
Hotel Montemar or Don paco are good.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:13 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We spent a few days in Picos de Europa in late May this year and used Potes as our base. It's ideally placed for some great days out and is well served with decent restaurants and bars for the evenings. There's a Mexican restaurant that I'd highly recommend - great food and a waiter that ensures your glass is never empty Cool.

We stayed at Hotel Valdecoro. We had a decent sized room and there's a large, out of sight car park at the rear of the hotel. The breakfasts are good. The staff don't smile a lot but they are very helpful and the service IMO was good.

Just look at Google maps and follow the squiggly lines out of Potes. The run from Potes to Riano is one of my favourites and the landscape around Riano is stunning. As has been suggested, try reading through Chickenstrips thread - he goes into great detail and takes stunning photos.

Below is my favourite photo of our trip through Picos de Europa - taken from the filling station in Riano Cool

https://s26.postimg.org/9iqz26i15/20170531_145133.jpg

arthurmo
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:10 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode upto into Cain which took you along a ravine with the road built into the side and sometimes over it. if you have a look at richy Vidas YouTube channel they did this route(I just copied them) there’s a village at the end with a couple of hotels and bars. The CA-281 is a cracking road to get into the picos.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:34 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Picos de Europa - Experiences/recommendations please. Reply with quote

Lee Wright wrote:

In 2016 we did the down the N240, Pyrenees and the Alps via the south of France, are there any parallels to be drawn between either of those mountain ranges and the Picos?

Missed this thread somehow.
The Picos mountains are largely of limestone, the erosion of which gives them their characteristic, vertical look. The area is prone to the effects of coastal weather, and can often be clagged in on the higher roads. It is a much less extensive area than the Pyrenees or the Alps obviously; 4 days was ample to explore the central region, although scenic roads and routes can be found in surrounding areas, particularly to the immediate S/SE.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1