Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2 Thefts in 4 months - not enough police!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

jillbob101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:40 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: 2 Thefts in 4 months - not enough police!!! Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

This is my first post, so apologies if its in the wrong section!

I've pretty much had my motorbike stolen twice in the space of 4 months. The second time was this week, when I reported it as a crime in progress as the brand new motorbike (125cc, bought 2 weeks ago) had only just been taken away by 2 lads. The police said there weren't enough resources for anyone to search nearby.

Needless to say I am still bikeless, pretty annoyed at the theft and pretty annoyed at myself for delaying the purchase of a tracker. I've been wondering if there is anyway, or anything being done to increase policing and ensuring someone does care when this happens again. I have been told to write to our Chief Constable about the issue but has anyone else had experience in this?

Before I move on to the 3rd bike one day and can afford a hiked insurance premium, is there any way (legally!) to get law enforcement to treat such matters more seriously? Or is it just a case of chaining the bike up and hoping for the best? Crying or Very sad

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have told them you were in pursuit and going to run them off the road.

Or you could have said you were letting them know before you load your shotgun. :up;

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two stolen and three others damaged in 10 days. Police have been great. Had o give them a lot of info from social media, but give them their due they acted on the information and have made an arrest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jillbob101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:53 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
You should have told them you were in pursuit and going to run them off the road.

Or you could have said you were letting them know before you load your shotgun. :up;

Haha to be honest, someone on one of the stolen bikes group on Facebook posted they'd seen the guys go up a road a few minutes after. I had ubered there to go looking for them and told the police on the phone but there was an extremely high number of serious crimes reported on the day -_-

jillbob101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:55 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I had two stolen and three others damaged in 10 days. Police have been great. Had o give them a lot of info from social media, but give them their due they acted on the information and have made an arrest.

That gives me some hope. For my first one, the guy was arrested eventually after the bike was found abandoned. But released after due to "insufficient evidence"

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:56 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

London police didn't even start to take it seriously after folk were murdered up a treat protecting their bikes and scooters.

My advice: persuade a relative to become the leader of Her Majesty's opposition, get mugged by a pedboi, then all of a sudden they'll start to crack down.

But really, we're a low priority. People are being mean on Facebook, or turning their dogs into Nazis, don't you know?

As above, threaten the thieves with violence and you might get a response, although not one you'll like. Really though, your best bet is to be pretty sure they brandished a gun. And they called you a racial epithet (muslim counts as a race, white doesn't).

https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/complaints-and-appeals/make-complaint for what it's worth.

I woudln't have a bike if I didn't have a garage, is the tl;dr answer though.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just go TPO and stick a 13 mm on the next one and phone them if, if stolen, and say you wish to cancel your policy as you no longer need it.

Probably consider a cheap tracker but you're likely to get a burnt out bag of metal upon return.

125's, sadly, are easy to steal by design. I remember on my Arrow the steering lock was a thing piece of metal that you could probably get to with an angle grinder disc and cut away in no time at all. Likewise they're lightweight and slow and therefore carrying anything above a 13 mm on them isn't a great idea.

jillbob101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:14 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
London police didn't even start to take it seriously after folk were murdered up a treat protecting their bikes and scooters.

My advice: persuade a relative to become the leader of Her Majesty's opposition, get mugged by a pedboi, then all of a sudden they'll start to crack down.

I woudln't have a bike if I didn't have a garage, is the tl;dr answer thoug h.

Laughing See what you mean. I've got a secure car park at home now after the first theft. This one was at work in broad daylight, with barriers, security and cctv!! Will never get to practise for the full licence at this rate.

Meh, I'll just wrap the next one in chains and everything, it seems... and go running after them like a crazy lady Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:15 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What security did you have?

jillbob101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:23 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
What security did you have?

no chain at the time sadly. Its meant to be a secure car park, so had a look at the bike. Go to quickly change into gear, come back 5ish min later its gone. The job only took 4 min so yea a chain would have helped...

It was the first day rolling it to work and I still had my alarm on my work desk ...doh moment!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:27 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the first time?

jillbob101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:31 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
And the first time?

chain, cover. I was away and the apartment car park shutter was broken, so literally anyone could walk in.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jillbob101 wrote:
chain

What brand? How many? Locked to what part of the bike and what object?

<creeper.jpg>

It's important information because people get scared by thefts when, truth be told, a lot of them are because first time riders don't have the knowledge of preventing opportune t-leafs from wheeling their (the rightful owner) bike away.

Outside of London I'd call it a very brazen move to attempt an angle grinder broad daylight attack. Which, to me, is what I imagine half of these thefts to be when, in reality, the above paragraph is more the answer unless high value bike.

Edit: second attempt sounds like you were followed (which is a pain in the arse since you can't escape from anything on a tiddler) or a very unfortunate opportune moment for t-leaf. Unless, that is, your work is in a particularly rough area of your city.

jillbob101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:50 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
jillbob101 wrote:
chain

What brand? How many? Locked to what part of the bike and what object?

One oxford chain on the front wheel :/ Have to hold my hands up have only been riding since last summer so pretty much a newbie.

Its just so frustrating you can't even leave your own bike unattended for a few min in a known place.

For my next time, once I can afford it, will buy a tracker, disc lock on top of the chain before even thinking of buying a new bike. That should do?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jillbob101 wrote:
One oxford chain on the front wheel :/ Have to hold my hands up have only been riding since last summer so pretty much a newbie.

Its just so frustrating you can't even leave your own bike unattended for a few min in a known place.

For my next time, once I can afford it, will buy a tracker, disc lock on top of the chain before even thinking of buying a new bike. That should do?

The whole theft epidemic is something I started to notice towards the tail end of 2016, including the increased publicity of London. In the brief period I rode before that theft was always manageable with a chain, or two, but, as I say, most recently chains have become nothing but a visual deterrent.

If you've never been told then you're not going to know any better than what your local shops sell. Quit investing in Oxford and take a look at Pragmasis. I'd recommend a 13 mm for out and about (2.0 m, perhaps; 1.5 m is the shortest I'd go for) and a 16 mm for at home (or 19 mm, if you're rich for future investment). You'll also need a tailbag to carry that around in (Kriega's reviewed as the best value for money but Oxford works -- beside when their zips snap -- also etc etc).

As for a disc lock it depends on what type of disc the bike you purchase has. You could use a R21 roundlock from Pragmasis or a disc lock from the shop, they're generally the last form of defence (beside the steering lock) and shouldn't have much hope placed on them (hence why chains are the best form of defence).

A disc lock is best placed in the rear sprocket or brake disc since a thief can lift the front of the bike and wheel it away, or into a van. It might feel weird but it works (at home you can put one on the front and rear just to be a pain).

A chain is best looped through the rear wheel, through the underside grab rail and around an object (most 125 cc's have generous underside grab rail space between it and the frame).

Wouldn't bother with tracker. Probably just buy a £1000-£1500 Jap 125 and focus more on physical security than something that might get you a burnt pile of junk back.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1