BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another New Mash on the way, and it's a 600

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:46 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll only up their game when something better comes along.

That's why China-China-China needs to make better bikes, rather than just cloning them, and sell them cheaper, and offer at least as good a buying and ownership experience, including trade ins (and better than Victor Devine).

Since none of them have any interest in doing that - and why would they, given the swingeing costs of doing business in the EU and UK versus the relatively tiny market? - they will remain as quirky also-rans.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, and it's one reason why I love some of Craigs 400 gems, as they are from that era of quality over style. Remember how some of the Japanese domestic 400's were way more expensive than our Garden sports 600's and you'll probably see why.

Its another reason why I kick myself stupid for not buying a Honda NS400R when they were affordable enough. The build quality on them is stunning for a two stroke sports bike, and so was materials and attention to detail. I think some of the earlier Italian 125 race bikes for the road were similar in terms of attention to detail and engineering, even if the finish wasn't as good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:29 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

That's not something you will ever see again. Too many bean counters running every company now.

Stainless? no chance when plastic/mild steel will do and out last the guarantee

Weirdly (and surprising as hell to me) my aprillia of all things comes covered in A2 bolts from the factory.The fairing bolts and all the major component ones being A2 hex heads.I compared with another one at a meet a few weeks ago and they are indeed the factory fitted bolts.

Only bad point, some mongo prior owner replaced a bunch of them including the damned footpeg mounting bolts with tacky blue probolt ally shite.
(even used the wrong size stripped the threads and lock tighted them in. Glad i noticed and corrected that bodge)
I have replaced most of them them with TI or A2s again now but i was impressed at the overall build quality, its also nice knowing that the ones that are out of sight are good quality anyway.
The only seized thing i have found so far are the front header nuts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Yamaha is the only Japanese manufacturer that of late has moderately impressed with their effort in making fun and exciting bikes especially in middle weight and smaller cc classes. If they had the build quality and finish/fastener quality of an early 90's Honda they'd be fucking unbeatable.

They used to (have better build quality), they were selling the last of the 660 MT03's for 7k alongside the MT-09 priced at slightly less. I agree they seem to be the only one left making 'fun' bikes. If you walk around a Honda showroom now it's all dire.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:42 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet Honda are beasting everyone else in sales, and not just in 125s.

Dull and predictable sells. And it re-sells, which is where Chinabikes fail hard. Even if your ownership has been trouble free, try convincing anyone else of that.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
And yet Honda are beasting everyone else in sales, and not just in 125s.

Dull and predictable sells. And it re-sells, which is where Chinabikes fail hard. Even if your ownership has been trouble free, try convincing anyone else of that.

Rightly or wrongly they still have the Honda reputation. As do BMW for that matter. It takes a while to lose it when you have the car division of your company so well thought of.

I don't remember Yamaha or Suzuki ever having that sort of quality reputation at any time. Kawasaki were a bit different but still never had a stellar reputation like Honda.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:30 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind you. People STILL buy Italian bikes of all types. Despite them having a long standing reputation for being distinctly shonky in the QC department and having laughably poor spares service.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:44 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

But red ones go faster.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Mind you. People STILL buy Italian bikes of all types. Despite them having a long standing reputation for being distinctly shonky in the QC department and having laughably poor spares service.

Like Italian women, high maintenance but when they are on song Wub

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

This is the only reason I don't snap up a dirt cheap Brutale 750 I know of. I have reservations about spares (in both price and availability) and in my experience, Italian Wiring. Pity, as it's fecking lovely and has obviously been well looked after.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:50 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is the itialian bikes have teh secks appeal. And when the are working, they are all nuts.I see them like a super car, impractical silly unreliable. But fast and sexy. I was wary of getting an italian bike myself, but in the style of bike i wanted that meant either Husa or KTM and both are even more of a questionable prospect.
The nearest the japs offer are the XT660 (crap suspension) or XR650 (gutless).
Ducati are still somewhat iffy, the several times i had to pick my mate up due to his 848 evo playing up sticks in my mind.
But aprillia have been great for atleast the last 10 years.
No problems getting parts for mine and its one of the rarer models.
MV are a sodding nightmare. My mate brutale was off the road for three months waiting on a new ECU.

Also the electrical issues of the past seem to be gone.
Mine is fitted with them fancy philips waterproof connectors as was the multistrada i serviced today.Thats a big plus for me as the most common issue i have ever had with bike electrics is water getting where it isnt wanted.

Still no making up for silly as fuck design choices like the screen on the panigale that can melt the sodding speedo LCD on a hit day haha.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:55 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno. A mate has just bought a new Daivel and it's had a few electrical tantrums and several bits have either come loose or fallen off.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:06 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Dunno. A mate has just bought a new Daivel and it's had a few electrical tantrums and several bits have either come loose or fallen off.

Hmm interesting. Will let my boss know as i he has seen the light an wants rid of his HD. He was looking at the Diavel as he wants something that will keep up on normal sunday ride (one of the lads rides an original diavel and keeps up ok but the two lads on HDs and rune end up playing catchup all day)

Are the dealership supporting the bike and sorting any issues tho ?. I think that is the most important part in a new machine, otherwise why bother paying the premium.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

just reading through this thread, and the reality dawns on me, I own an Italian bike Shocked

scratches head, and ponders was it the wisest of moves to SORN the Honda?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:29 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireyphoenix1989 wrote:
Thing is the itialian bikes have teh secks appeal. And when the are working, they are all nuts.I see them like a super car, impractical silly unreliable. But fast and sexy. I was wary of getting an italian bike myself, but in the style of bike i wanted that meant either Husa or KTM and both are even more of a questionable prospect.
The nearest the japs offer are the XT660 (crap suspension) or XR650 (gutless).

Well then you need the 660cc MT-03 that was deigned and built in Italy, complete with authentic electrical issues Very Happy Mine however was faultless when it came to reliability.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:37 - 05 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireyphoenix1989 wrote:

Are the dealership supporting the bike and sorting any issues tho ?. I think that is the most important part in a new machine, otherwise why bother paying the premium.

Aye, They are sorting it out when stuff happens. I suppose it depends what your local dealer is like.

The bike is an amazing bit of kit though, they can really hustle.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 329 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2