BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Keyless

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

HappyDays
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 01:12 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Keyless Reply with quote

Looks like a good idea, what's your thoughts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq1F6fQWSdY
Not cheap, anyone done better with keyless?
better clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSD6sQNxrz8
More..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1vdho1gihU&t=456s

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:31 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced the ignition lock on my K100 with a Chinese black box and button-blipper thing, I like it. The combination of alarm and no wires to snip off and tie together makes it difficult to steal.

I have accidentally had the "off" button get pressed from inside my pocket though, which of course immediately killed the whole bike. I now carefully place the blipper in the corner of the pocket, buttons facing away, and no problems since.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:20 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are that it's spending money on another thing to go wrong.

As in, I have thought about it for the Enfield, but then I decided to follow stinkwheel's example and just leave the key in it overnight, which achieves much the same effect.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snod Blatter wrote:
I have replaced the ignition lock on my K100 with a Chinese black box and button-blipper thing, I like it. The combination of alarm and no wires to snip off and tie together makes it difficult to steal.

I have accidentally had the "off" button get pressed from inside my pocket though, which of course immediately killed the whole bike. I now carefully place the blipper in the corner of the pocket, buttons facing away, and no problems since.

Interesting I've got a weird one on the new project bike someone has wired a flick switch in just above the coils cover. Don't fancy messing with it. But it's harder to find than most ignitions.
EricBoss This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if the battery dies, does it forget the fobs?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Interesting Reply with quote

EricBoss wrote:
I don't want to trust my mobility to a machine.
You'd best walk then.

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:40 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Interesting I've got a weird one on the new project bike someone has wired a flick switch in just above the coils cover. Don't fancy messing with it. But it's harder to find than most ignitions.

I should perhaps qualify this modification with the fact that the bike was stolen and the thieves literally threw the ignition barrel away after they'd chopped off the wires. Finding a replacement barrel seemed impossibly expensive so I kitted it out with a blipper for under £20.

I am pleased with the results though, even the alarm is loud and not too sensitive! I wasn't even going to hook it up at first..

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:33 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Interesting Reply with quote

EricBoss wrote:
Great idea but I prefer something more analog. Something that I can manually override when required. I don't want to trust my mobility to a machine. The more mechanical the better.

What, you mean something like a key Wink

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Interesting Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
EricBoss wrote:
Great idea but I prefer something more analog. Something that I can manually override when required. I don't want to trust my mobility to a machine. The more mechanical the better.

What, you mean something like a key Wink

No, he obviously means this.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:45 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that worries me is insurance. I'd be terrified of insurers overcharging if you declare this 'modification', and of them using it as a lousy excuse not to pay up should you ever need to claim.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
One thing that worries me is insurance. I'd be terrified of insurers overcharging if you declare this 'modification', and of them using it as a lousy excuse not to pay up should you ever need to claim.

Terror unjustified. So you'd obviously ask them about premium before fitting it; and once you've told them and gone ahead, there's clearly no way that can use the mod to reject a claim.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:58 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Terror unjustified. So you'd obviously ask them about premium before fitting it;

And that's precisely the first point I made, that I am afraid many insurers will use it as a pretext to increase the price massively. Also, policies and prices change all the time, often with no apparent logic, so getting a good price now doesn't mean you won't be charged loads in 2 years. Unless you have verified with many insurers that they accept this modification at no extra cost, how can you say my fear is not justified?

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sherco is keyless.

In addition, it has absolutely zero electronic security, no fob, no immobiliser.

You just press the button, and it starts Shocked

Guess how much fun it is to pull into a petrol station that doesn't have pay at pump! Laughing

Why the makers of Enduro bikes think this is a sensible way to do things in this day and age is beyond me!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:43 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:

If it's stolen then they won't know, and if it burns or is crashed, the ignition wasn't a material factor.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 12:48 - 10 May 2018; edited 1 time in total

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:48 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it gets stolen and then found (it happens), are you going to tell the insurer that the thieves fit a keyless ignition system? Smile

As for a crash, my fear is that the insurer would most likely still try to claim that, had they known about the modification, they would have charged more, and therefore they should now pay up less. Or is this a legal impossibility? Genuine question, I'd be curious to know. Of course the "opinions" of not-legally-qualified fellow bikers, however interesting, are totally irrelevant.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:03 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
If it gets stolen and then found (it happens), are you going to tell the insurer that the thieves fit a keyless ignition system? Smile

If it's returned to you before they've paid you for it, why would they care?

If it's returned to them after they've paid you for it, why would you care?

Londoner2015 wrote:
had they known about the modification, they would have charged more, and therefore they should now pay up less.

Maybe. Under what circumstances are you imagining that an insurance loss adjuster will attend, notice, and care? i.e. it is likely?

If you're that worried by a unlikely risk to your pocket, why are you a motorcycle courier?

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:41 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's returned to them after they have paid me for it, they will inspect it, notice the modification, and the chance they'll use it against me is closer to 1 than it is to zero.

Also, a loss adjuster might not attend if the damage is the write off of a scooter worth no more than £1k, but if the collision involves tens of thousands of pounds of damages to other vehicles and/or injuries to people, yes, a loss adjuster is very likely to attend.

Oh, and no, I'm not a motorcycle courier - what makes you think I am?

Of course, horses for courses: I have explained why I'm afraid of insurers, you have explained why you're not, and everyone is free to do whatever they want...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CCM Spitfire* has a keyless ignition (nice mainstream example). Henry Cole reckons you need to swipe the fob the turn the ignition off as well Confused Can't say I see the point of it.

*sort of want Embarassed

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:02 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
If it's returned to them after they have paid me for it, they will inspect it, notice the modification, and the chance they'll use it against me is closer to 1 than it is to zero.

They (which they? The broker? The underwriter?) would chase you up and try and shake you down for a few £££ more premium, using a stolen bike that was out of your possession as their evidence if it ever came to court (which it wouldn't)?

Of all the things that I'd shred and ignore, a letter from an ex insurer demanding money because they want money would the shreddiest.

Londoner2015 wrote:
Oh, and no, I'm not a motorcycle courier - what makes you think I am?

Don't we have one with "London" in their name? I view BCF with avatars and signatures off, and try not to read usernames - it keeps it fresh,

Londoner2015 wrote:
Of course, horses for courses: I have explained why I'm afraid of insurers, you have explained why you're not, and everyone is free to do whatever they want...

Or to not do it, because of an unreasonable fear about a vanishingly unlikely risk over an insignificant sum of money.

How's that going to play in your deathbed review of your life?
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 321 days between these two posts...

johnjones65
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:06 - 27 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Keyless Reply with quote

HappyDays wrote:
Looks like a good idea, what's your thoughts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq1F6fQWSdY
Not cheap, anyone done better with keyless?
better clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSD6sQNxrz8
More..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1vdho1gihU&t=456s

First is that I was grateful to see a technology like this. I am not sure but majority f the insurance companies won't be okay with the no steering lock situation. My grandfather has a '73 VW and it actually works really great. The build is amazing indeed. My question is mind is that how did he sort out the loom section running to the back of the barrel ignition? I assume they jumped the connection so they will be able to position it permanently (not really sure.) The second video overall is hard to follow! For the third video, I find it great and it could be installed on my 2016 Vulcan S. It is really innovative. I can't stop thinking about it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1