Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike Insurance for Dummies

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic : View next topic  

MrUprightNinj...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:00 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornam wrote:
Hi guys, just bought a Kawasaki Z800 and was looking at insurance prices. Cheapest I got is £900 and the next best offer is £1200. Any useful tips when it comes to getting a cheaper quote? Are they gonna make me a better offer if I call and try to negotiate? Thanks!

The part where you call the insurer and haggle with them is long gone as the date of first post suggests. It's been 12 years now everybody get their quotes on the internet. On the other hand you can still try to give them a call. I did and it only made a £25 difference.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornam wrote:
Hi guys, just bought a Kawasaki Z800 and was looking at insurance prices. Cheapest I got is £900 and the next best offer is £1200. Any useful tips when it comes to getting a cheaper quote? Are they gonna make me a better offer if I call and try to negotiate? Thanks!

Why buying your dream, and or ideal, bike as your first doesn't always mean its the best option.

Your biggest enemy on that Kwak will be the year. Given your a new rider the closer to the current year it is the more its going to cost you, IME.

Try different levels of cover and don't buy a policy with an excess more than the policy price. I'd say go TPO but with a bike like that you'd be better of flogging it and getting something else if TPO is all you can afford.

Use different comparison sites. Use incognito browser. Use various yearly mileage. Decide between "socail" and "commuting." If it makes a big difference can you afford not to use it to commute?

Another unavoidable killer will be your lack of NCB and new license.

MCE TPO if you can't afford anything else. If you're bothered about loosing it then soak up the asking price if you really want to ride the bike. You'll never see a penny of it again, and I wouldn't normally advise it, but you're basically half way to shooting yourself in the foot as is.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:23 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/
https://www.comparethemarket.com
https://www.moneysupermarket.com/motorbike-insurance/
https://www.gocompare.com/motorbike-insurance/
https://www.mcncompare.com

Play around with all the variables and assume nothing. A lower annual mileage doesn't mean cheaper insurance. Legal cover is worthless. Fully comp be cheaper than TPFT which might be cheaper than TPO. Declaring your security means that should your bike get nicked that one time you didn't chain it up outside your local Tescos could leave you out of pocket. That and declaring security to your insurance can put the price up in some cases. etc etc etc

(Ste for mod, I'd update the first post in this thread to make it great again. Wink)

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
(Ste for mod, I'd update the first post in this thread to make it great again. Wink)

I call for a petition; because don't they just solve everything.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:17 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petitions are outdated, it's all about the surveymonkey surveys now.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PMXBN7T

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 08 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Legal cover is worthless.

You got that right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:41 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was first riding, I would play around with comparison sites until I got the three cheapest quotes I could get.

Then I'd play them off against each other over the phone, "x has offered me the same cover but for £70 cheaper. I've had you recommended to me and I'd prefer to go with you if I can. Can you beat that quote at all?".

My first couple of years I saved massive money that way, I think my first online quote for my first big bike (tdr250) was around £800, and in the end I paid closer to £300 after all of the bartering.

These days, I have around 10 years ncb and am deep into my late 20s despite my best efforts to deny it. My biggest risk factor is living within the m25, which costs me something like £150 a year extra compared to a low risk area. The best bartering in the world won't change that one!

Last edited by c_dug on 10:49 - 09 May 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
my late 20s despite my best efforts to deny it.

One candle for each decade of doom hereafter. Shocked Laughing Thumbs Up

BLB_Rich
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:51 - 11 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornam wrote:

I've been riding almost 3 yrs on an A licence.

The FIRST thing I did is window shop for bikes that would be insurance friendly & challenging but not dangerous.:
SV650, CBF600 etc... You'll also get a guaranteed sell-on market for calmer bikes like those.

Then progressively upgrade the bike as your NCB increases & the premium/excess reduces until your reach your desired machine.

It's the reason I've now got a naked FZ6 S2 (102hp with mods) but my premium is only like £400 odd & have only been let loose on the roads less than 3 yrs!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:22 - 11 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeanyB wrote:
my premium is only like £400

"only"? Eh?

Good advice though, you'll want to go for a geezer bike for a while.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

FWIW it looks as though "thebikeinsurer" and "mcncompare" use exactly the same mechanism, and produce the same results (example in this case: Rieju RS3 125cc).

Quotes ramge from £655 to £5015!

Edit: Telephoned the bikeinsurer for a callback, called by Adrian Flux which is the "umbrella" name.

DoStuffAndStu...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:04 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

After driving for 5 years I started to get interested and close to doing DAS. I checked insurance on some bikes out of interest and discovered I live in an F* postcode and I have no garage... So no bike for me while I'm still living here lol

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for posting on an old thread. Got my new bike on Saturday. Wanted to share my experience with Insurance.

I got quoted ranging from 450 (Garaged) to 680 (Left on Drive) for TPFT insurance on a Kawasaki ER-6N on different price comparison sites with and excess between 350 and 450. I then called Carole Nash for a 6 wheel quote and they gave me a price which is only £95 more than my current car insurance for both car and bike. The excesses were quite low too at £100 for car and £150 for bike. So ended up cancelling my current car insurance by paying £40 cancellation and taking 6 wheel insurance from Carole Nash.

For a first bike with 0 NCD that's really a good price I think.

wintelf94
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 09 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
Sorry for posting on an old thread. Got my new bike on Saturday. Wanted to share my experience with Insurance.

I got quoted ranging from 450 (Garaged) to 680 (Left on Drive) for TPFT insurance on a Kawasaki ER-6N on different price comparison sites with and excess between 350 and 450. I then called Carole Nash for a 6 wheel quote and they gave me a price which is only £95 more than my current car insurance for both car and bike. The excesses were quite low too at £100 for car and £150 for bike. So ended up cancelling my current car insurance by paying £40 cancellation and taking 6 wheel insurance from Carole Nash.

For a first bike with 0 NCD that's really a good price I think.

Worth the contribution, albeit late. Thumbs Up
bikerlady20 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

westjensontex...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:43 - 02 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pleasantly surprised when I was quoted £170 for fully comprehensive on my GS500. Or £140 fro TPF+T.

luna mina
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:52 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

well . hello . am a new biker . i bought a VMS Rolling Eyes . so every body tells me that its so dangerous . but i know myself . i drave carefully . so any advices !! Rolling Eyes

Kodi nox
Henny This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Bikesta
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:43 - 19 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is quite helpful and informative. Thanks guys!
befonoy44 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
lui12 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9