Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Right foot peg broken off *Now Fixed*

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Toccs
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:10 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Right foot peg broken off *Now Fixed* Reply with quote

Hi all,

I fell off my bike 9 years back (minor roundabout, back tyre slid out) the fall damaged the right foot peg. I left it but today it finally fell apart. In hindsight i should have done something about it sooner.

See attachments.

its part of the frame so not an easy fix, any ideas on how to repair this?

EDIT: Its an XT125X 2007

Last edited by Toccs on 08:04 - 14 May 2018; edited 2 times in total

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have the peg?
Any engineering place would soon cut a piece for the bracket and weld it on, or make a replacement bracket (better idea) to match the other side.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Toccs
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:25 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Do you still have the peg?
Any engineering place would soon cut a piece for the bracket and weld it on, or make a replacement bracket (better idea) to match the other side.

Yeah i still have the peg, i can always buy a new peg for about £35 from Fowlers Parts.

What kind of engineering place do you mean?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:52 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont just need the foot-peg, if that's wandered off after it fell off, but the bracket it bolts to, which as you said, isn't, its the frame, and replacement part from Fowlers would be a new frame.....

If you have peg or got new, then the obvious answer would be to take the bike to a WELDER to cut back the broken metal and glue-new in it's place.

Personally, I would probably be having a squint at the Sammy-Miller trials catalogue for replacement peg and bracket.... used to be common practice for Pre-65 'classic' trials to have to convert a standard road bike, like an Aerial HT5 or BSA Bantam to a 'trials' spec, which included chopping off standard foot-peg's mounted low and forwards, often on a bar welded to the engine cradle, and welding new brackets further back and higher up, often close to the swing-arm spindle.. along with such things as shortening swing-arms or reducing head-stick angle... B-U-T... similar deal, you get the bracket with the pegs, and likely easier to weld a pre-made bracket to your frame than re-make what was there, and heck, you may even be able to bolt it and not weld the frame at all.... which could save a lot of prep by way of grinding back the old paint and metal, and risking fragile electronic black boxes putting 30A of mains voltage onto the frame and hoping none of that tries find its way back-wards thorugh the electronics earth wires!....

Aside: if you ever watched Ewan & Charlies Long-Way-Round.... remember the BMW they buggered in Mongolia trying to weld the seat rail back on!!! (An XL125 that has no ABS or fuel injection, and can trace its design ancestry back to the Honda CL125 of 1974 or something probably doesn't have such sensitive electrickery to 'fry'... but still! Risk remains!)

Either-which-way though, the solution is some-one that can weld... preferably some-one used to welding up dirt-bike frames, and handy with the angle-grinder to prep-and make bracket mount and get it to line up properly... and either make missing bracket 'bit' from stock-steel or graft on accessory peg & bracket from Sammy-Millers or similar from one of the Chopper-makers catalogues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Toccs
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:20 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
SNIP.

Jesus so much useful information thank you.

My brother-in-law wields bus frames for a living and he has his own kit at home (he does up old VW Camper Vans as well) I've spoken to him and hes going to take a look at it on the weekend.

Unlucky for me i have the MOT booked for the 26th of may so i hope i can get something sorted by then.

I think end up doing exactly as you suggested so i'll take a look at the Sammy-Miller trials catalogue and see what i can find and take it from there.

Thanks again mate.

Octapode
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be fine before the MOT. Even if you wanted to chop off the remains of that bracket and weld on a new one, you're talking maybe two hours of work, probably less than one for a pro.

If it was my bike, I'd just weld a new tab to the bracket to replace the broken one, then drill it to fit the hole once it's in place. But you may have less taste for rusty chunks of angle iron than me Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:03 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go and pay a metal fabricator to make a new bracket and weld it up for you.

Toccs
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:03 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: *Update* Now fixed Reply with quote

Hi All,

A little update, so i managed to get some help fixing it.

My brother in-law owns a welder that he uses for his camper vans and he had some scrap metal, so he helped me repair the damage.

I managed to find a (Jawa) scrap dealer online that had a foot rest for my model of bike so i got that next day and fitted it my self.

See screenshots for the result. Feels new Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:48 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see that you got a happy ending. Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really tidy fix. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 348 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1