Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

AJS TN12 - Oil Filter Mesh

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hyperjase
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:43 - 11 May 2018    Post subject: AJS TN12 - Oil Filter Mesh Reply with quote

I’m on with servicing my own bike, chain, brakes etc and now I’m on to changing my oil (which my bike garage has done previously), but my TN12 has a mesh for an oil filter. Does anyone know where this is and how to remove and clean it?

Many thanks!

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 11 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't be much help, but judging by the shape of this gasket:

https://www.ajs-shop.co.uk/acatalog/TN12-OIL-FILTER-COVER-GASKET-90209_I006_0000.html

I'd say it's behind something round with 3 bolts in it.

There is a three-bolted round cover on the right side of the engine, so my first guess would be there!

You'll need to make sure you have a gasket (or a cereal packet and some sealant Wink ) *before* you start pulling it apart.

Hyperjase
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:15 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Can't be much help, but judging by the shape of this gasket:

https://www.ajs-shop.co.uk/acatalog/TN12-OIL-FILTER-COVER-GASKET-90209_I006_0000.html

I'd say it's behind something round with 3 bolts in it.

There is a three-bolted round cover on the right side of the engine, so my first guess would be there!

You'll need to make sure you have a gasket (or a cereal packet and some sealant Wink ) *before* you start pulling it apart.

Great thanks so much for this - AJS doesn't seem to have a great amount of info on the web and the dealer I bought it from is next to useless when asking for any help.

Next job will be to figure out how to check the transmission fluid and where to get to it!

Many thanks, Jason

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyperjase wrote:

Next job will be to figure out how to check the transmission fluid and where to get to it!

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure that if you've changed the engine oil, you've already changed the transmission fluid too Wink

Hyperjase
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:03 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Hyperjase wrote:

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure that if you've changed the engine oil, you've already changed the transmission fluid too Wink

On the AJS site, it's listed separately, hence my comment. Sorry if I'm being dumb, this is a learning curve!

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's unusual for a 125 single!

You can get a useful Haynes Manual that covers "Assorted Chinese 125 Motorcycles" ...

I'll have a flick through mine later and see if it has your engine, or one very like it, in it.

Edit: It could just be a copy-paste error on the website ... the clue is in the name they've given the TN125 web page

https://www.ajsmotorcycles.co.uk/copy-of-jsm50-2

They've copied it from a 2 stroke moped!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1