Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Transferring video off microSD cards on the road

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:49 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Transferring video off microSD cards on the road Reply with quote

Been away on a bikey trip with my helmet cam, with a view to editing together a short video from the resulting footage. My camera (Contour Roam) uses microSD cards and has no screen, so you can't see what you've filmed, or how much. I took my laptop with me, and copied over the footage each evening before wiping the card. I ended up bringing back about 90Gb of raw footage to edit.

Now, I really don't want to have to lug an expensive laptop around with me next time, just to be able to do this. Now I have a tiny 500Gb hard drive which would be ideal to store the files on while I'm on the road, but would be no good without a control device (ie like a laptop) in between them!

Any suggestions as to a cheap and cheerful bit of kit I could use, to avoid taking the laptop? Would some sort of tablet maybe do the job?

Thanks

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:09 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be best to just get a 128gb card or two?
They are pretty cheap these days, relative to buying a tablet anyhow.

https://www.picstop.co.uk/micro-sdxc/sandisk-ultra-micro-sdxc-memory-card-100mbs-class-10-for-android-128gb.html

Under £30 and free delivery.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:38 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Transferring video off microSD cards on the road Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Any suggestions as to a cheap and cheerful bit of kit I could use, to avoid taking the laptop? Would some sort of tablet maybe do the job?

Thanks

This sort of thing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperDrive-ColorSpace-UDMA-II-Wireless/dp/B009086GIS

It's £200 though so you might just want to buy more SD cards. The alternative is to buy an obsolete netbook and use that as the storage device. It's cheap but comes in at about 1 kilo.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:50 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are ways e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-TB-Passport-Wireless-Pro/dp/B01EAOJBHY

Not that cheap though, but then a 2TB external drive is getting on for £100 anyway.
If getting more cards beware of slower UHS1 if you might need UHS3 even in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

So buying more microSD cards would certainly be an option, however not ideal because (a) my camera only accepts up to 32Gb (about £10 a pop) and (b) it's a bit of a PITA because you can't tell how full the cards are other than a status LED - in practice I'd probably just need to use a fresh card every day (but at least I could maybe then buy lower capacity, cheaper cards). And really I'd like the confidence of at least being able to preview footage while out and about.

The various standalone devices look cool, but yes more than I'm after paying really.

Have just spent some time hunting online and found this tablet - that was more the sort of thing I was thinking of - any reason why this wouldn't work? Or have I just answered my own question? Wink "Hipstreet" doesn't exactly instill confidence though, does it?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:42 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a pretty old smartphone will take SD cards and a USB. Like a galaxy S3 or similar. I'm not hugely up on smartphone tech but isn't it an android OS just like the tablets? I'd assume it could mount an SD and USB drive and transferr between the two?

You can get a 7" kindle fire for a tenner more than the hipstreet.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Even a pretty old smartphone will take SD cards and a USB. Like a galaxy S3 or similar. I'm not hugely up on smartphone tech but isn't it an android OS just like the tablets? I'd assume it could mount an SD and USB drive and transferr between the two?

It's probably possible with third party software but USB OTG can be very hit and miss in my experience. Mine wouldn't recognise USB sticks although I never tried a portable H/D. Also I've no idea what the transfer rate would be like (I assume very slow).

Not a great solution but maybe a cheap/old webbook? They're pretty crap but are small. I have an old one I upgraded the RAM on and installed Win 7 (it shipped with XP or Linux) for running diagnostic software.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with a tablet is you will need somewhere to store the footage on it, and they mostly dont have much space.

I would simplify it by just buying a few 32gb or 16gb cards and a case to organise them.

something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beeway%C2%AE-Resistant-Protector-Carrying-Carabiner/dp/B01D2ZVNR8/
You could simply use each tray as day1-12 of the journey and have them in a nice order when you come to edit them.

16gb cards are cheap, 10 of them for a touch over £60, delivered.
https://www.picstop.co.uk/microsd-sdhc/sandisk-ultra-micro-sdhc-memory-card-98mbs-class-10-for-android-16gb.html

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
The problem with a tablet is you will need somewhere to store the footage on it, and they mostly dont have much space.

For sure, but!:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I have a tiny 500Gb hard drive which would be ideal to store the files on while I'm on the road, but would be no good without a control device (ie like a laptop) in between them

So yes, taking multiple microSD cards certainly is an option, but if there's a £50 tablet or device out there which would let me transfer the SD card content on to my HDD (and even view it), that would be a much better one!

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

So yes, taking multiple microSD cards certainly is an option, but if there's a £50 tablet or device out there which would let me transfer the SD card content on to my HDD (and even view it), that would be a much better one!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-Eee-PC-901-8-9-20GB-Intel-Atom-1-6GHz-1GB-Netbook-White-EEEPC901/183214686998?epid=115983738&hash=item2aa8724316:g:Pv4AAOSwav9a6cCC

You can use the 20GB internal disc and you can probably buy a USB HDD caddy bridge and transfer it across each evening via the SD card slot.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I have a tiny 500Gb hard drive which would be ideal to store the files on while I'm on the road, but would be no good without a control device (ie like a laptop) in between them.

That's all very good if you can connect the HDD to the tablet. I dont know of any tablets that have full USB ports, OTG is shocking crap for getting anything to work, data transfer rates would be labourious, even of you somehow managed to connect an external HDD.

Keep it simple bro, your sanity is important.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:13 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-Eee-PC-901-8-9-20GB-Intel-Atom-1-6GHz-1GB-Netbook-White-EEEPC901/183214686998?epid=115983738&hash=item2aa8724316:g:Pv4AAOSwav9a6cCC

You can use the 20GB internal disc and you can probably buy a USB HDD caddy bridge and transfer it across each evening via the SD card slot.

Yes, these are fantastic. I have one and have used it for the exact purpose the OP has in mind. The reason I hadn't mentioned it is because he said he didn't want to take a notebook.

It will write directly from the internal SD card reader to a USB port but you may actually find it quicker to go via the internal SSD. Can also use it to upload to the cloud.

They will also run windows XP. This was handy for my action cam as the internal software for changing the camera settings doesn't work with linux.

Looks like that one has the original linux system it came with. There is a version of ubuntu designed specifically for them called Aurora (previously eeebuntu) which ought to up to date web browsers. You might get a surprise how effective a PC it is given its age and spec.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Yes, these are fantastic.

No they really aren't, hence why they quietly died off.

stinkwheel wrote:
They will also run windows XP.

An obsolete turd of an OS. Mine runs 100 times better with Win' 7 than it did with XP. However no way would I recommend one to anyone unless you really need the portability.

I got given mine with a smashed screen, replaced it and upgraded the ram, and honestly wondered why I bothered. If the battery on my proper laptop wasn't completely f**ked I wouldn't even use it for diagnostics.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough I actually had an Asus EEE a few years ago - had forgotten all about it. Ended up getting rid because it had to run on XP for various reasons, and it simply ground to a halt as I recall. My memory is fuzzy, but ISTR that it was after the XP updates had been applies there was no memory (or was it primary disk space?) left for it to actually run. Spent God knows how long on it trying to sort it out. A shame because I really liked it otherwise.

Might be worth looking at again in Linux form, as a dedicated device for my purpose...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Ended up getting rid because it had to run on XP for various reasons, and it simply ground to a halt as I recall. My memory is fuzzy, but ISTR that it was after the XP updates had been applies there was no memory (or was it primary disk space?) left for it to actually run. Spent God knows how long on it trying to sort it out.

I've never understood all the love XP got. Another example was with a relatives laptop which was actually an ok spec' (it just had a crap screen), but it ran like absolute shit with the stock/clean XP installation, so I upgraded it to Win' 7 and it's still in regular use Thumbs Up

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I've never understood all the love XP got.

Well for a start, it got replaced by Vista. Nuff said?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
M.C wrote:
I've never understood all the love XP got.

Well for a start, it got replaced by Vista. Nuff said?

Which bloomed into the butterfly that's Win' 7 Wub Shame the same thing didn't happen with Win' 8 > 10.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:59 - 16 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine got XP because it has an official XP activation key label and a recovery disc and that was the easirest way to get some sort of windows operating system on it so I could alter the settings on my action cam.

I just use win 7 in a virtual box on my debian PC for that job now.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 318 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1