Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wannabe biker looking for advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Marius1998
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:16 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Wannabe biker looking for advice Reply with quote

Hei guys,i would like to become a biker soon,but i got a few questions regarding my Take Off,first of all,what category my provisional license Shall be(Asking this cause i have not yet applied for the provisional either)as i plan to Take my cbt first,to get into biking,and second,what bikes you guys think would be ideal for a new biker?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made it as far as the "New Bikers" sub-forum - so how about checking out the 'sticky' at the top of that forum first?:

A Duffer's Guide to Getting A Licence + Newbie Biker Links

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Mr Bat said!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
You made it as far as the "New Bikers" sub-forum - so how about checking out the 'sticky' at the top of that forum first?:

A Duffer's Guide to Getting A Licence + Newbie Biker Links

The stuff at the start's all out of date though, we really don't help clear-up the confusing licensing system. However buried in the topic lies...

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=3786074#3786074

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Wannabe biker looking for advice Reply with quote

Marius1998 wrote:
Hei guys,i would like to become a biker soon,but i got a few questions regarding my Take Off,first of all,what category my provisional license Shall be(Asking this cause i have not yet applied for the provisional either)as i plan to Take my cbt first,to get into biking,and second,what bikes you guys think would be ideal for a new biker?

It's category A1 I believe (maybe A2 if you're 19/20?) but it doesn't really matter, you apply for your provisional and it has a few categories; learner bike, car, 'moped', then a tractor and steam roller or something.

The best bike is the cleanest Japanese 125 you can find for ~£1000, something like a Yamaha YBR.

Marius1998
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:38 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Wannabe biker looking for advice Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Marius1998 wrote:

It's category A1 I believe (maybe A2 if you're 19/20?) but it doesn't really matter, you apply for your provisional and it has a few categories; learner bike, car, 'moped', then a tractor and steam roller or something.

The best bike is the cleanest Japanese 125 you can find for ~£1000, something like a Yamaha YBR.

I am 20 mate,i wanna apply to drive a 125cc,i was curious what provisional i need to apply for the cbt thats it..

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a provisional if you haven't already, and go and do a CBT somewhere local. Come back if you get that far and people will offer help and advice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:05 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to be sure that whatever license that you get or already have has provisional 'A' on it. Not 'A1', 'A2', just 'A'. That covers all bikes that you can ride depending on your age (which in your case is A2 up to 35kW and 0.2kW/kg).

If you already have a driving licence (I infer that you don't, but it's not 100% clear) then you can check here: https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

If you apply for a new licence, it should come with provisional 'A' on it, but check before you show up for your CBT as DVLA are nothing if not inconsistent.

At 20, you should be thinking about skipping the tiddler route and going straight to doing training and tests with a view to getting an 'A2' licence. A 35kW bike will be much, much more capable than any 125, and actually easier to ride as well.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:11 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that tef is still typing.

Run now before he gets a chance to post....

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:49 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too late for us, but you can still save yourself.

Run. Run!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You want to be sure that whatever license that you get or already have has provisional 'A' on it. Not 'A1', 'A2', just 'A'. That covers all bikes that you can ride depending on your age (which in your case is A2 up to 35kW and 0.2kW/kg).

If you already have a driving licence (I infer that you don't, but it's not 100% clear) then you can check here: https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

If you apply for a new licence, it should come with provisional 'A' on it, but check before you show up for your CBT as DVLA are nothing if not inconsistent.

At 20, you should be thinking about skipping the tiddler route and going straight to doing training and tests with a view to getting an 'A2' licence. A 35kW bike will be much, much more capable than any 125, and actually easier to ride as well.

I wrote A then edited my post after seeing this:
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/photocard-driving-licence-explained

Yes NI but I sort of remember mine showing provisional access to all categories (before the 2013 changes) then A1/A2 being crossed out when I passed my bike test.

Anyhoo my point is it doesn't really matter, AFAIK (and this is thanks to Tef) the distinction between a car/bike learners license only existed for a couple of years in the 80s, you apply for:

'A first provisional (learner) license (with a view to passing a test)'

https://www.roberthempsall.co.uk/blogimages/DVLA-form-v6-1.png
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 320 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1