Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cbr600f2 not starting.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Cbr600f2 not starting. Reply with quote

Some thoughts please guys n gals?

My 1992 CBR600F2 died on me at the weekend. The bike was hot enough for the fan to be on but the needle was nowhere near the red and it had been idling for 2 or 3 minutes after a 30min ride.

The bike cut out and refused to restart, the AA man diagnosed electrical fault due to no spark but didn't go any further before deciding he had no real idea and calling for recovery.

Immediate suspicion fell on reg/rec as it was rather warm but any other thoughts about what to look at or if I can bench test the regrec?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:11 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the battery is showing a good 12.5 - 13 volts its not the reg rec.

If it isn't showing 12.5-13, charge it with a charger and see if it starts.

Then you can test it. The voltage should jump to near 14-15 volts when running at about 2-3k revs.

Was the starter turning the engine after it cut out?

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starter was turning the engine as strongly as it ever did. I've not had a chance to get in and investigate yet, but hopefully tomorrow eve

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:31 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamsin wrote:
Starter was turning the engine as strongly as it ever did. I've not had a chance to get in and investigate yet, but hopefully tomorrow eve

In that case it's not the reg/rec. I would look to see if there is a fuse on the low tension side of the sparking circuit and then look for loose/poor connections.

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thought.... will only be a few mins to pull the fuse box and see if there's anything there...

Update: all fuses are intact

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this weather, I wouldn't expect it to take much idling to start the fan. Although, if it really wasn't hot enough, it could be the temp sensor. But that shouldn't stop it from starting (I wouldn't have thought?)

Sounds like a fuel or spark problem (I'm no expert!)

I'd be tempted to check the fuel first. Just to try and eliminate it. Does the f2 have a fuel tap? If so, make sure you're on the right setting. (and that you have fuel)

Open the petrol tank and close it again just in case there is some sort of vacuum thing going on.

Or is the choke in the wrong place?

Sorry if these things are too basic.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these ones have a fuel pump?

Put your hand on the fuel pump and turn the key, if you don't feel anything then it might not be priming. If it primes then consider pulling the carbs and giving them a clean.

Check coolant level: if it was low and the engine got too hot then you might have compression issues now. (Unlikely though)

Check for spark: Easiest way to check is to pull a plug, and earth it against the bike.

You need fuel, air, compression and a spark for an engine to run. Check these rudimentary things first.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:
Do these ones have a fuel pump?

Put your hand on the fuel pump and turn the key, if you don't feel anything then it might not be priming. If it primes then consider pulling the carbs and giving them a clean.

It comes with a fuel pump, but the one I had, (same model and year as the OP's), the pump had been removed, it still ran very well though.

By pass the fuel pump, save monies!

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 09 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how you are all saying it's lack of fuel...

The original post says that there was NO SPARK

Weirdly though, I came to look at it today (I've done literally nothing to it since it was revovered) and it started fine.... I hate that kind of thing, going to be permanently on edge for a repeat performance now

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamsin wrote:

I think you have more faith in the AA man's diagnostic abilities than the people who replied.

Glad it's sorted itself out. If it wasn't sparking and is now, then it's probably a bad connection / bad earth.

I'd be tempted to get it up to temp / let it idle in the sun for a bit and see if you can replicate the issue without going too far from home.

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an AA man can be trusted to use a spark tester... lol.

I'm busy as busy gets over the next few days so just running round locally to replicate s fault isn't really an option at the mo.

Jefr0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 11 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamsin wrote:

Weirdly though, I came to look at it today (I've done literally nothing to it since it was revovered) and it started fine.... I hate that kind of thing, going to be permanently on edge for a repeat performance now

You beat me to it. I was going to say I bet it starts fine no problems after leaving it a while.

I've had my f2 for 11 years now. It just doesn't like getting hot at all, the idle will start to go then just cut out.

It just needs cooling down before starting again.

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:35 - 11 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth checking the fuel pump because these bikes will run fine with a dud pump until something upsets them and then they need the pump to prime the system. In my case once the bike fell over, then simply wouldn't start until it had sat for a day.

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 11 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefr0 wrote:
Tamsin wrote:

You beat me to it. I was going to say I bet it starts fine no problems after leaving it a while.

I've had my f2 for 11 years now. It just doesn't like getting hot at all, the idle will start to go then just cut out.

Can you define "a while" because it still wouldn't start after 4 hours. It's been far hotter and not fit out before

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:31 - 11 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loss of idle when hot is symptomatic of an air leak between carb/throttle bodies and the inlet.

The spunkless one wouldn't have considered that and so his bike has been stalliing when warm for years...

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 11 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefr0 wrote:

I had my F2 for 5 years in Cyprus, it is between 30 and 40 degrees for eight months of the year, I never had a problem starting it. Well I did once, it turned out to be a cracked spark plug.

Qyburn wrote:
Worth checking the fuel pump because these bikes will run fine with a dud pump until something upsets them and then they need the pump to prime the system. In my case once the bike fell over, then simply wouldn't start until it had sat for a day.

As I said further up the thread, the F2 will run perfectly well without the fuel pump, I should know I ran my F2 without one, (as in completely removed from the bike), for 5 years, if you suspect the fuel pump, bypass it with some fuel pipe and see what happens!

Jefr0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamsin wrote:
Can you define "a while" because it still wouldn't start after 4 hours. It's been far hotter and not fit out before

Ah. I'm talking minutes not hours.

Not sure what it could be, sorry.

Octapode
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it backfire at all before dying, or just shut off? You could be looking at a half-dead CDI giving you a weak spark.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 347 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1