Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Windows booting into a black screen with cursor

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Windows booting into a black screen with cursor Reply with quote

I recently got a new PC and attached my old SSD with Win' 7 on. Everything was fine except whenever I booted into Win' 10 (which came pre-installed on a separate M.2 SSD), then back into Win' 7 it would run chkdsk, until today when it wouldn't boot and loaded startup repair.

It took ages to run and then left the drive booting into a black screen with only a cursor, it won't even boot into safe mode etc.. I also tried recovery options, startup repair didn't fix anything and system restore wouldn't work.

I thought my the drive might have packed up as Win' 10 wouldn't even read it, but then I tried it in OS X and Win' 7 on my old PC and could see all the files fine. Any ideas?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:33 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the end goal? A dual boot system? You should really reinstall Win7 Swapping boot drives to totally different systems rarely works will IMO.

In the meantime see if the drive shows up in the new machines UEFI and then check if it is in Disk management in Windows.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.tweakhound.com/2012/11/13/how-to-fix-the-windows-bootloader/

Good luck - if it is this, it's reasonably easy to work through the checks but you're going to need a bootable Win7 USB or DVD

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
What is the end goal? A dual boot system? You should really reinstall Win7 Swapping boot drives to totally different systems rarely works will IMO.

Tri-boot but its been a PITA with this system, the mobo had some secure boot bollocks enabled to start with, and it also won't boot directly from the m.2 SSD unless I select Windows Boot manager which I think is causing all the issues.

Also it depends on the O/S. 98se, Win' 7 and OS X have been fine for me. XP had that weird mobo lock or whatever it was, and XP 2.0 AKA Windows 10 gave me a BSOD (I tried my old installation to see if it could see my SSD).

UncleBFester wrote:
https://www.tweakhound.com/2012/11/13/how-to-fix-the-windows-bootloader/

Good luck - if it is this, it's reasonably easy to work through the checks but you're going to need a bootable Win7 USB or DVD

I'll give it a go although I don't get the repair option on this system, even with a patched (as it needs USB 3.0 drivers) Win' 7 boot USB, it only gives me installation options. I can get into recovery mode on my old system which doesn't need to be patched, even though it's also USB 3.0 Confused

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSD are cheap - why on earth didn't you just buy 3 of them and switch boot disks accordingly via the BIOS

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
SSD are cheap - why on earth didn't you just buy 3 of them and switch boot disks accordingly via the BIOS

Are they? This one was £80 and the current model goes for ~£100. I run OS X from an old HDD, had the PC not come with the m.2 SSD I wouldn't have bothered getting one.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap VS the irritation of trying to unpick multiple bootable OS on one disk.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are on different disks. SSD > Win 7, M.2 > Win 10, HDD OS X.

Thought I got it working with a second Win 7 installation, then it hung after installing 'SP2', so I went into recovery where it said it found a fault, repaired it, then in the (Win 7) boot manager it had created an option for Win 10... which didn't even work Rolling Eyes And it's no longer giving me the recovery option.

Gonna backup what I need> format> then try a clean install.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what i do is set the disks up one at a time but on different SATA ports. I disconnect each disk before setting up the next one.

Then i can switch between bootable disks using the BIOS. It's a bit 'lowtech' but it works nicely.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 01 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with that is I can't disconnect the m2 ssd, I don't have it in the hard drive list (in the UEFI), or in the boot list, but if I F8 to bring up the boot menu then esc the system still boots into it Confused

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:43 - 02 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd - are you sure it's not in some weird UEFI setting?

BIOS update available?

My new system has an onboard M2 Sata slot ( new AMD Ryzen board) and that's available as a boot option in the BIOS.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see anything in the UEFI. There's a bios update available. Just did another clean install and this time it updated successfully. All the previous 'SP2' attempts failed, and it failed to boot after one of the final updates the other time I tried manually to update the system Rolling Eyes

Also realised I could plugin a PS/2 mouse to get around not having keyboard/mouse support in recovery mode (when booting from the installation), amazingly I still had one (yay for hoarding), so I was able to system restore out of one of the failed SP2 attempts otherwise I might have given up.

tl;dr it's working (for now Praying).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd update this just in case someone happens upon it. So I ended up doing a bios update Embarassed It's annoying as obviously it was mentioned above and I did think of it at the start, but I've never really bothered with them and/or found they fixed issues, but in this case it fixed all the issues I was having with Win' 7 Brick Wall They even added a PS/2 mouse emulator in the update.

So at least I didn't waste my money buying slightly older hardware (to maintain Win' 7 compatibility). However I still get chkdsk coming up occasionally, with only my SSDs plugged in it doesn't take too long to complete, but I was hoping to keep a large storage drive attached Neutral
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 213 days between these two posts...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
However I still get chkdsk coming up occasionally, with only my SSDs plugged in it doesn't take too long to complete, but I was hoping to keep a large storage drive attached Neutral

Another topic reminded me of this issue, I only recently found a solution. Windows 10 has something called fast startup under power options, which when enabled causes the CHKDSK issue Brick Wall

Since disabling this feature I've not had CHKDSK come up, which's a relief as it kept f'ing things up in my Win' 7 installation.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1