Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KTM Duke II - Talk To Me?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: KTM Duke II - Talk To Me? Reply with quote

[/Terry Tibbs]

So, looking for something different. Like the look of the Duke 2 because Mantis headlight and orange.

Pros/Cons? Expensive to service, any special requirements? Do I need to invest in MX lid and boots to fit in?

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:26 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a KTM Duke 690. Not exactly what you asked about but.......nearly 70bhp, 150kg, big sticky tyres, awesome brakes and serious fun. If you're looking for a brilliant back roads scratcher then it's seriously worth considering. Wouldn't dream of taking it near a dual carriageway or motorway or touring on it. It's only done 1500 miles so far but no issues. I do my own servicing and it looks like it'll be very straightforward.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
Wouldn't dream of taking it near a dual carriageway or motorway or touring on it.

Why not? My MT-03 was only 48bhp but was fine on dual-carriageways, I wouldn't have minded a bit more power for the motorway but the 690 has that, and is meant to better in terms of vibrations. Also some guy did tour on his MT-03, it managed 60k before going bang Smile

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 06:11 - 16 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Enduro Numpty wrote:
Wouldn't dream of taking it near a dual carriageway or motorway or touring on it.

Why not? My MT-03 was only 48bhp but was fine on dual-carriageways, I wouldn't have minded a bit more power for the motorway but the 690 has that, and is meant to better in terms of vibrations. Also some guy did tour on his MT-03, it managed 60k before going bang Smile

The 690 was bought as a back roads scratcher, nothing else. Sure, it's got more than enough power and capability but small twisty roads is where it excels Cool

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:45 - 16 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can do 120mph+ so motorways will be fine Laughing My 690 (SMC) ticked over at around 5k RPM on the motorway, wasn't bad just not comfortable, also the twitchy throttle was a pain.

If it's the older Duke they are around 63bhp not the 70+ the newer ones are, just the older LC4 design, no twin spark or 2nd oil pump. Good on fuel, just being a KTM not so reliable, and mostly happy when you are kicking their heads in Twisted Evil

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:47 - 16 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rode my 390 duke, 150 miles back from Telford to London. Although comfortable on the wrists, back and butt, the wind really takes it's toll. My neck is still sore 3 months later. The serious lack of fairing really doesn't make it suitable for any amount of time on a dual carriageway/motorway.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:11 - 16 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain had a Duke II, 640cc or something. I rode that, I couldn't kick start it with dead battery because awkward left hand kicker but otherwise was a punchy ting.

Would have, but KTM. I'm just not a fan of their so called reliability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 16 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like they could be avoided unless there's mountains of receipts?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:08 - 16 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like they could be avoided unless there's mountains of receipts?

I wouldn't buy one personally, there are better singles out there, but depends if you really like it and you have that itch to scratch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 16 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a play with a 17 plated 690 a few weeks ago, was a fun bike handling wise and very lightweight.
Some 40kg less than my bike which is only 188kg wet so very noticeable. I liked the handling, very flickable.
To put it into perspective, my 125 scoot is 140kg. The funky colour LCD display was cool, and physically it was quite
comfortable. Didn't like the vibration, it was bad enough to have to keep adjusting the mirrors every few miles and
compared to the Spacker I thought it was a bit breathless and short legged. I struggled to get it into 3 figures but I
didn't mess with the modes at all and rode it as it was given to me. I think it was detuned for A2 to be honest. I suppose
Fowlers need to keep courtesy bikes to suit all grades of licence. I also wasn't that plussed by the sound of the thing,
I thought it sounded a bit sewing machiney but maybe that's because I'm used to the aural bedlam of my own bike. I'm
sure it would sound much better with a big fat Akra. Was a fun day playng with it though, was given it with a full tank,
I returned it empty. Thumbs Up

https://i.imgur.com/VDjFwSV.jpg

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 16 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

I wouldn't buy one personally, there are better singles out there, but depends if you really like it and you have that itch to scratch.

What examples have you got for me? Very Happy

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 16 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Would have, but KTM. I'm just not a fan of their so called reliability.

Or their security Wink

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do go on regarding security? Obvs with working in Liverpool, and 'scrambler' Rolling Eyes I want to know if I'd be better leaving it at home instead.

There's a low mileage example near me, but no history. Quite cheap, but wondering if it's cheap for a reason. Worth a look or not?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:11 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike wise, apologies, top of my head I just have DRZ but thats low powered, garth is pedalling a £1700 Husky SM 610 which would be a fucking hoot until it gets robbed.

Security though. I have just bought a 1.5 almax for home use, fuck carrying that around but its enough to stop fuckers. I also have 2 more locks around 16mm and thats just for my GSXR. I'd double up the almax for a BRAAAAPPPPP mobile.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 18:58 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a KTM Duke ll 640 on an 04 plate a good few years back now and it was great fun. I did however fail to put oil in it and it went bang. I always said that it was one of the most fun bikes I had owned / ridden.

I just got a Husqvarna 701 on 18 plate and it is fucking phenomenal. Done just over 2,100 miles on it.

Will be selling the RSV4 too, decided to have a little break from sport bikes now after nearly 10 years on them. KTM 1290R next year I think, still hooked on this SM.

Chumleywarner...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:38 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my 2nd Duke 2 last month.

Both were amazing to ride in the twisties, top suspension and brakes with about 145kg and a punchy engine. I've never ridden a more fun bike.

Both had the more 'reliable' grey engine. Both were serviced every 1500 miles requiring fully synth top end oil and 2 filters. Not a hard job but some of the oil goes in the frame and it's a bit of a pain. Valves done every 3000 miles.

Both had leaks in various places that were fixed and then showed up again somewhere else. This was pretty much constant. I replaced clutch plates, bearings, gaskets, plugs, bolts, etc on what felt like a constant cycle.

Both bikes had 12 and 16k so not massive miles. I used them for commuting so they didn't have an easy time but compared to a Japanese IL4, they were poor. Let me down far too often.

Go for one with the grey engine, which is post 2002 I think, and a standard one if you can as many get abused and modified and end up in a state.

If I ever get tempted again, I'll have an XR650. The most reliable KTM product I've ever had was my baseball cap.

Just my thoughts though.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 19 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do go on regarding security?

Like Triumph the word wasn't used much in the factory, the Duke IV didn't initially have an immobiliser (I'm not even sure the latest model does) and they're generally theft magnets.

Obvs with working in Liverpool, and 'scrambler' Rolling Eyes I want to know if I'd be better leaving it at home instead.

Make sure you have money for the bus Smile

There's a low mileage example near me, but no history. Quite cheap, but wondering if it's cheap for a reason. Worth a look or not?

All my bikes have had no service history... well the Street Triple had one receipt from its first 500 or whatever mile service (and the guy had it from new Neutral). Generally KTMs are overpriced so I wouldn't be too suspicious about a 'cheap' one from a realistic seller.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, ended up with an FZR 600 instead Embarassed Mr. Green

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:15 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://media.giphy.com/media/14dXclYKbx2ONW/giphy.gif

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know right Embarassed

It's another of my bucket list bikes though. An ever decreasing number too by the looks of things.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 308 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1