Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Those who have binned it, did your clothing hold up?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Those who have binned it, did your clothing hold up? Reply with quote

Just curious and looking for opinions. Mainly asking the question, does brand matter when it comes to protective clothing?
Jackets for example can vary by hundreds in price, but are they any safer than the cheap options. As long as the jacket is double stitched and contains armour (whether armour makes much difference I dont know) arent they all up to the job, or has anyone crashed and had their jacket/trousers shred to pieces.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:13 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've crashed. A* Andes textiles. They held up, and I'm still wearing them today.

Not sure that answers your question Very Happy

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:20 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a very slight off last year, (10-15 mph low side) and was wearing kevlar jeans and an LS2 textile jacket

The jeans held up really well, some slight scuffing to the denim, and i very slight graze on my leg, but nothing major

The jacket, well i fell onto my side and slid maybe 5 yards, no injuries, but the arm right open just between the elbow and cuff, so no longer water/windproof

Though i'm not sure how abrasion resistant textile jackets are supposed to be, i know there is no comparison against leather, but wouldn't have expected to ruin a jacket in such a low speed accident (luckily i didn't pay a whole lot for the jacket, but that in itself could be half of the problem)

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:45 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an off, 30-40mph. Shoei Qwest helmet held up great. Spada enforcer gloves did a great job too, despite the failing Velcro on the cuffs. Cheapest pair of trousers from infinity (RST i think) were scuffed, but held up fine. The belstaff jacket however, wore through on the arm causing a severe abrasion injury and I bust my collar bone. Not a fan of belstaff any more.

Last edited by Poseidon on 08:23 - 17 May 2018; edited 1 time in total

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:12 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It matters.

Years ago some brands were considered trash. Dainese in particular got some scorn from our traffic cop guy. I'd back him up on this too.

My spills.

My Belstaff jacket (not the new fashion ones) is fine had a couple of spills and it burned a couple of cigarette holes in the coudura it also has some black road rash stains that won't wash out. Pretty good. All offs were sub 30mph.

A friend borrowed my field sheer jacket and he stacked it and the stitches held up ok but it has some black marks from the road rash. The armour also stayed in place.

Dainese, leather power ranger suit. Superb fit. The stitching burst open down the right side in a lose your licence go straight to prison speed.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:29 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skintan trousers (yeah, cheap shit I know) are a waste of time. Binned it on some oil a few years ago and the slide opened up the fabric on the right leg (not even on the stitching).

Hein Gericke leather jacket, another off, sub-30mph and held up really well. I'm still using it now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furygan textile two years ago the bike was write off both the jacket and the pants were fine, Alpinestar boots and Shoei helmet both took most of it and held great. The weakest bit appears to be the human Laughing although no broken bits severly bruised body, the nurse said that probably the fact I have some body fat saved the day.

Moral of the story - eat burgers Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:14 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've crashed a bunch of times. My Hood jeans survived with just a hole in the back pocket after a 60mph+ crash. I crashed at about 100 at Snetterton on my Speed Four and my Held gloves and Triumph branded leathers both ended up with holes in.

I've crashed about ten times in my Crowtree made to measure leathers and they still look (almost) like new.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:26 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting you mention Dainese in the negative as I have had two offs in my textiles and they were great, the jacket still going strong at 10 years old.

I did have to replace the trousers last year and they got a big hole in the crotch and I was getting wet balls.

Maybe they don't make them how they used to?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
I did have to replace the trousers last year and they got a big hole in the crotch and I was getting wet balls.
Maybe they don't make them how they used to?

Or maybe your balls are just too big.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:22 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, my gear could never seem to thwart the scissors of the ambulance guys Confused
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpinestars drystar express trousers held up with minimal damage after 3 crashes. The 3rd (over 50MPH) crash did make a small hole on the arse though that let water in.

Force riders (cheapo) kevlar jeans, various pairs kept my skin intact when sliding down the road but the denim was fucked enough afterward to warrant throwing away (at around £30 a pair they are disposable).

Ixon textile jacket survived a 40MPH slide, a second 50MPH crash tore the jacket sleeve up enough to throw it away. I was wearing this when I broke my elbow but I doubt any CE elbow pad will help when you hit the road elbow first.

Tuzo textile jacket completely disintegrated in a sub 30MPH crash. I was left wearing what looked like a very ragged superman cape. I think the thick hoodie I had on under it probably offered more protection. I would never buy any Tuzo shite again.

Australian Bikers Gear leather jacket is still going strong after a few slides. Just a bit scuffed in places. I'd hesitate to recommend though as they relabel stuff they source from Asia and from having other products from them that fell apart in daily use I think I got really lucky with this jacket.

I think maybe I used to crash far to much.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I crashed on a suburban roundabout (probably only 30mph tops) wearing Wolf leather jeans, Alpinestars gloves, Arai helmet and Furygan leather jacket. The council had recently laid Shellgrip on the approaches and the excess, tiny gravelly bits were still being swept onto the roundabout by traffic. The roundabout was ringed with railings on the outside, and there were so many signs on the approach (school, the circus, new housing estate, directions plus some vague warning about roadworks ahead) I had no idea until I was watching the road whizz past my visor just an inch away.

Arrow Arai helmet had deep scratches across the right temple area and over the visor. Replaced.
Arrow Alpinestars gloves not harmed.
Arrow Upon initial impact the Wolf Jeans rotated slightly on my right hip and knee, causing minor abrasions but protecting my skin in the ensuing slide. Hip and knee ached for a while thereafter and I looked into hip armour but didn't want to look like a woman. Small hole on the knee in the first layer of leather. Continued to use.
Arrow The Furygan jacket burst the cuff zip on the right side but the press stud kept it closed. Sleeve rotation on impact caused some abrasions to my lower forearm but the press stud at the end of the cuff held everything together. The shoulder had some minor scuffing. I continued to use the jacket after getting the cuff zip repaired at a saddlery.

I still wear the same combo, updated.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:21 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of years ago had an off in my Rukka gear. Lost it on a wet bend at about 30mph ish, slid down onto tarmac then off into verge.

Smashed fairing on Fazer, bent fairing bracket, sheared side lights out of cluster, snapped mirror, split a coolant pipe, grazed tank, bent bars, can grazed badly.

My gear? Snapped zip pull on lower right leg where you slot in knee armour. Smell tear in high-viz I had over the top. Couple of threads on jacket frayed. Dented carbon knuckles on Alpinestars gloves. Slight wear to palms. My thumb slightly hurt for half a day.

This is some second hand Rukka gear I picked up off ebay for a couple hundred quid about 4 years ago. Gloves were old Alpinestars Jet Road gloves. Must have been several years old when I bought it. Still wearing the same kit daily. Sure the wet road and slide into verge probably mitigated wear - but still thought that was pretty impressive.
in inclement weather now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old Bellstaff jacket was my favourite as it was waterproof 100%.
It only let in water at the cuffs and neck-hole Laughing , however it did not stand up well when I came off.
It did not stand up to abrasion very well, but well enough for me to walk away with no upper body abrasions Thumbs Up
Sadly wearing ordinary jeans at the time was not one of my smartest moves.
They ripped to shreds and I ended up with a very deeply grazed and very sore bum Shocked Laughing
My Doc Martin boots were ruined but my ankles/feet were fine.

So the two bits of kit that got ruined saved me from injury Thumbs Up so I guess they did their job.

I can put my hand on my heart and say that I have never had any bash hat fail me.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:08 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an off last year on a roundabout. 35ish I suppose. I was wearing an Alpinestars Andes jacket, A* 365 gloves, and A* SMX6 boots (yeah, I like A*). Trousers were some crappy work 'blues' ones. Helmet was an Arai.

I slid cross a couple of empty lanes with the bike on top of my leg and stopped on the verge.

The works trousers were completely shredded, worn through all down the side of one leg and on my arse. The proper bike gear on the other hand was almost completely unmarked. A few scratches on the plastic protective bits on the boots, ditto for the gloves plus some light wear to the palms, and a few 'shiny' bits on the textiles where they came into contact with the road. That was it. Everything is still waterproof and breatheable, so I still wear it. No issues.

Oh, and I was fine too. Just a stiff and sore knee for a few weeks where the bike had landed on it and a sore shoulder.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:39 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had 3 offs that brought my gear into contact with the ground.
1) 20mph coming off roundabout in pissing rain 2 weeks after passing cbt, didn't brake soon when a minivan came across 2 lanes to the exit. Cracked 2 ribs, gear fine.
2) turned left through junction with queuing cars in 2 lanes. Didn't look, got hit at 25 ish by car coming down the inside lane. Broke ankle, wrote off bike, gear still fine.
3) rear ended at roundabout. Had a top box so the bike couldn't shut out from under me. Got tangled with the bike. No damage to me or gear.

The only damage the gear shows is the hole in one leg of the trousers where I let it rest against the hot exhaust without realising. Gloves leak, trousers leak on the crotch in heavy rain but it's remarkably hard wearing.

IXS jacket and trousers, dainese gloves with knuckle protectors and not much else.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:08 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two unplanned dismounts at around 20+mph.
(Bike was written off in one coz the silly bitch slid into a high kerb and spazzed it's self.)
Gear was wrecked.
Shoulder ripped out a Hein Gerrike jacket and arse off the troos got it too.
Aramide fabric melted.
Armour in the shoulder probably save a dislocated shoulder.
The other off was more serious due to me rolling a bit. Right shoulder probably collar bone damage as it was sore for months later.
I think in both cases the gear protected the rider.
Friction burns are possibly what causes most damage.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:38 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I crashed bad enough to break my clavicle and totally knacker my bike - had an Spada jacket and bottoms and Box lid. It was all fine after, although there was a tiny hole in the knee of the trousers. Also, a few offs on green lanes but that doesn't really count.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:11 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
I crashed bad enough to break my clavicle and totally knacker my bike - had an Spada jacket and bottoms and Box lid. It was all fine after, although there was a tiny hole in the knee of the trousers. Also, a few offs on green lanes but that doesn't really count.

But could you still play Clavicle after? Thinking

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse textiles in a ~20mph off.

Jacket held up, trousers developed a hole in the butt. Gloves and boots were fine.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:00 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

70mph highside in bellstaff leather jeans and a Bellstaff textile jacket. Friction burn on elbow. Slid for a bit then ragdolled. Jacket holed, jeans lightly scuffed. Still have the jeans.

30mph lowside in denim jeans and combat jacket. Holed jeans but not all the way through the pocket. Small hole in the elbow of the combat jacket.

30mph "superman" in jeans and a hoodie, combat boots and NI gloves. Managed to keep on boot toes and palms for most of it then rolled and too the knee and hip out of my trousers. Zippo lighter took the damage for the hip and left a square bruise but skinned my knee.

50mph lowside in snow in every piece of motorcycle and cold weather clothing I own. Didn't even hole my waterproof trousers.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:41 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stubbed toe on banister wearing cotton socks. Still have the socks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:07 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a 50-60mph lowside, Alpinestars leather jacket split on the elbow, A* leather trousers bust zip but leather perfectly intact. A* GP Pro gloves seam burst on one palm. X lite 802 carbon lid was pretty smashed up. Not really happy with the gloves considering they cost £200 RRP.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

whitedevil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried on some A* GP Pro gloves in motocentral today and the stitching had come apart all down one finger. Id never trust them in a crash.

I have some 3 year old held titans that have been in a few high speed offs on trackdays and are still fine.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2