Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda NSR 125 cooling too good?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irongamer727
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:33 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Honda NSR 125 cooling too good? Reply with quote

It's always just over the blue mark. I would want it in the middle, between the red and the blue. I've looked around a bit and can see that most of these machines run very cold.
I just find it hard since it's a 20 gear old 2 stroke.
Sounds plausible?

I think a photo should be attached here and it shows roughly where the needle points. It's just at end of the blue. On it's way up.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What problems are you having on this 20 year old bike?

Irongamer727
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:20 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps that the temp gauge is malfunctioning? It could of course be plausible that these engines run at a cool temperature, or my gauge could be wrong. But I won't know until someone confirms either option.

I could drain half the coolant and check for am increase in temperature but it feels a bit extreme.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:09 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your thermostat is not stuck open. I have had this problem on old cars, vans and the old GPZ500 which went through a spell of being shut open (in the winter) and then shut stuck (in the summer) until the cooling fan rotted and siezed rendering the bike to come close to boiling over.

Irongamer727
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:15 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I don't think that's the "problem". The bike gets up to the given temperature fast. But then it stays there. So I don't think there is any issue with the thermostat.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i DON`T THINK YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:47 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you have a problem either, when my GPZ was running right the temp gauge used to climb to almost half way then as the thermostat opened it would drop back and settle at just passed the cold position and unless stuck in traffic thats where it would stay, It had to be running for 10 mins before it got hot enough for the fan to cick in.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem, rode a 2001 NSR for 4 years, just above the blue line seem's to be about right. If you find yourself stopped/crawling in the middle of summer you'll see it move Thumbs Up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
Not a problem, rode a 2001 NSR for 4 years, just above the blue line seem's to be about right. If you find yourself stopped/crawling in the middle of summer you'll see it move Thumbs Up.

Yeah this is spot on, one of mine never went over the the top of the blue, the other only climbed as I queued for a festival on a hot day, I was shocked to see it over half.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:20 - 10 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gauge is unlikely to be linear, so this is a pointless excercise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

elliottk94
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:10 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

New to the forum so try to go easy on me Confused

I've had two NSR 125's now and my temp on both has never really moved much unless I left/leave the bike idling for 20 minutes or when slow riding in hot weather. Seems to cool very quickly when picking up a bit of speed too and generally sits just above the blue too. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

My first NSR125 (about 6 years ago) had a heating issue after downsizing the engine (I unknowingly bought it with one of those Anthena 190 kits) and the temp of the bike went right up to the red at one point. Shocked

Going off topic slightly here but does anyone have Alains NSR tips document? Tried sending him a message but not had a response as yet! Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 337 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1