Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sink wastes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 20:29 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Sink wastes Reply with quote

I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask the BCF massive anyway.

My washing machine shit the bed in a pretty big way and smashed itself to bits. We got a new one and it is great it is so quiet compared to the old one, that is until it drains, it gurgles. Looking at it more carfeully I see an issue with my waste setup.

https://i.imgur.com/V46q1Fz.jpg
I little while ago I fitted a new sink and wastes. The sink was bigger so the trap is lower, and is lower than the pipework to the waste.

Looking at it I can't remember but I'm sure the old waste must of gone uphill too, just not as much. Is this OK? I feel I need to redo the whole lot, although we have had no issues in the ~month we've been using it with the old washing machine. I really don't fancy ripping the units out.

Would fitting an anti vac P trap like this cure the gurgle?

https://www.plumbers-mate-sales.co.uk/mcalpine-anti-vac-112---40mm-kitchen-sink-p-trap-sc10v---40004001-1641-p.asp

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:48 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gurgling is being caused by air in the pipes trapped because the drain is running uphill so it isn't clearing as effectively as it should, also the pump of your washer will be pumping more head of water than is intended and it is possible that some of your sink waste could end up syphoning into the washing machine if that is on at the same time as you use the sink. I P trap might help but unfortunately the only proper way of sorting it all out is to redo all the pipework so that the outlet is lower than the inlet.

Unfortunately no one ever gives enough room behind kitchen cupboards and the waste pipe normally goes straight out of the wall so that doesn't leave much room for adjustment. The best scenario would be to drill a 2nd waste pipe through for the washer which terminates in a U bend with upstand under the sink so that the water can drop into, have a trap and flow away without letting stench or air into the kitchen.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that the grey flexi-pipe is the main outlet.
If so I can see you having problems with waste coming back up through the plug hole and your sink draining very slowly, like we did.

I had the same problem when I fitted our new Ikea sink, much deeper than the one I ripped out.
As mentioned above, I simply drilled through the wall a foot lower than the original pipe and installed a new outlet.
Obviously Sod's law comes into play because you only find out about this problem once you've fitted the kitchen.
I managed to drill the wall out and fit the new pipe from inside the new unit. I didn't bother with a core drill, I stitch drilled the new hole and knocked out the rest out with a chisel,
You can avoid mess by removing the kick board from the unit and shoving the vacuum cleaner hose underneath!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:08 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a 'trap' in the waste. It stops shitty smells coming back up.

Normally a 'U' is incorporated in the route either as a shaped PCV pipe or by a bend in the corrugated flex hose from the appliance.

I cannot see it but I assume the lower part of the white PVC pipe turns back to the right into a 'U' bend.

There does not look be any restriction in your set up there to cause any 'back pressure' or 'head' that the washer pump feels.

I would look at the drainage from the white waste to your main sewer (cooncil Pipes).

You are more than likely responsible for the pipe from your hose to the cooncil drain too Sad

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:56 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grey fluted outlet coming from the trap should never run up hill. Does it go out through an outside wall? If so you could re-drill the hole lower so the drain hose only runs away.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would see if things improve if you raise up that flexible pipe slightly towards the washer, a bit of string or tape would do to test.
Ideally it shouldn't have to pump uphill but plenty do, including ours.
Presumably the previous washer was in the same space and managed OK.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 10:47 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much what I thought, to clarify we have no issues with draining or smells just the gurgling from the new washing machine. I CBA to rip it all out for Gurgling I'll just live with it until I can't or have to do something else in the area.

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to do is clean out all the waste pipes,this may help with the noise but as said,your waste drain pipe needs lowering a bit so it's not running uphill.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your waste outlet is miles wrong.
I thought the grey pipe was from your machine. Very Happy

You should re-route the waste to run downhill from the u-bend/trap.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a brick wall I could re-drill the hole lower for you in about the same time it would take you to make the cheese toasties and tea.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 20:20 - 15 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Sink wastes Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

My washing machine shit the bed in a pretty big way and smashed itself to bits. We got a new one and it is great it is so quiet compared to the old one, that is until it drains, it gurgles.

Amazing, just found myself in exactly the same position last weekend! Washing machine shat itself in a big way with smoke bellowing out of it (Bosch about 6/7 years old). So we immediately replaced it next day (thank you AO) with a Samsung Q drive type one that is super quiet but gurgles. Was interested in the responses!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:40 - 16 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Sink wastes Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
chris-red wrote:

My washing machine shit the bed in a pretty big way and smashed itself to bits. We got a new one and it is great it is so quiet compared to the old one, that is until it drains, it gurgles.

Amazing, just found myself in exactly the same position last weekend! Washing machine shat itself in a big way with smoke bellowing out of it (Bosch about 6/7 years old). So we immediately replaced it next day (thank you AO) with a Samsung Q drive type one that is super quiet but gurgles. Was interested in the responses!

I bought a Samsung too Laughing

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 16 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Sink wastes Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Does it get good reception Question

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 16 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Sink wastes Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Does it get good reception Question

If not, try using Ariel.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:03 - 16 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Sink wastes Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:

If not, try using Ariel.

That's a bold statement
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 17 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is a-wash with humour.

All clean stuff too.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:37 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time is see the thread title I think it's something to do with Tottenham residents.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:09 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Every time is see the thread title I think it's something to do with Tottenham residents.

ADS Acquired dyslexia syndrome?

Very Happy

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:38 - 18 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the flexi hose is the outlet which means the flexi hose is full of water?

Pretty sure they should not be used as load bearing ie full of water at all times.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1