Rowing machine or Exercise bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverAgain wrote:

Firstly nearly all GPs are fucking useless in my experience. They're mostly good for one thing which is referring to a specalist doctor.

Secondly what you describe sounds very alarming and could be cardiac related. Throw in a significant family history of cardiac illness I'd really have to push you to get a doctor to investigate further. Troponin levels will stay in the blood for a long time after a cardiac event if there's damage, so it's worth investigating and ruling out rather more mischievous things.

Next time you get this pain, as soon as the pain starts call 111 and play the game. You should have investigations done very quickly.

The problem with getting to see the doctor is I'm working nights and if you don't get through at 9am in the first 10mins then you have to wait till the next day or just try and catch an appointment by drop in. Normally go sleep about 8ish and up at about 2pm if I stay up then it risks me being tired at work.

If it gets immense then I'll consider 111 at the moment it's only moderate.

Irezumi aka Reuben wrote:
Lots of dubious information here, some good.

What kind of 'dodgy knees' do you have? How old are you, have you ever seriously damaged knees, any history of arthritis etc?

I'd like to qualify all of this by saying I'm a biomechanist who works in the medical industry although also with athletes, please take this as mild guidance only though. And find what exercise you are happiest doing as adherence is the best exercise of all. And first off consult a doctor.

I'm 26 years old; had Dyspraxia and Rheumatoid arthritis from a young age and have developed Osteoarthritis in my left knee after a bad motorcycle crash on my xj 600 2 years ago in November (image below when the crash bar ended up hitting me in the knee. This caused me to be on oramorph 4 times a day as the knee would just lock up and cause immense pain. Also currently got a life long condition where the ulnar on the left wrist (left side used to be the strongest) is dislocated from the protective sheaf. Which ends up rubbing on the bone; can make it pop just by rotating my wrist.

https://i.imgur.com/1ZfrHfyl.jpg

When I was younger because of the arthritis (JRA) at the time I was in a wheel chair if I had to go more than 1/5 a mile on foot. Until I got rid of it at the age of about 9/10; by forcing myself to cycle around the street where I used to live.

Being critical I haven't got that much fat however after the crash I was inactive and had to change my job. So I haven't used the muscles as much.

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
If it gets immense then I'll consider 111 at the moment it's only moderate.

You have a significant direct family history of serious cardiac disease. You also experience chest pain yourself. This issue that you seem to place less important than your work could kill you.

It could be nothing, but why not take a sick day off work to rule out something serious? I'll be amazed if 111 don't arrange an emergency ambulance for you, that's how serious it could be.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:29 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to present yourself at A and E or as at the very least go to the walk in centre in Hanley, Meir or Newcastle you shouldn't need an appointment and when they quiz you at the door to try and turn you away your answer should be quite simple - in pain, my own doctor can't see me.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:42 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

£200 would be better spent on a straight bar, plates, a punch bag /gloves and a skipping rope. You can literally do anything /everything. pull ups/tricep dips can be done wherever you can find a park.

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
You need to present yourself at A and E or as at the very least go to the walk in centre in Hanley, Meir or Newcastle you shouldn't need an appointment and when they quiz you at the door to try and turn you away your answer should be quite simple - in pain, my own doctor can't see me.

In my experience walk in centres generally don't have access to a lab and he'll need bloods so I'd recommend A&E.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:06 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH that is correct, I hadn't considered the need for bloods. Sam needs to go to A+E and explain his sympoms, pain, issues and especially the family history.

On the other hand - if cycling improved the symptoms years ago then buy a cheap pedal bike and do a couple of miles a day - as opposed to doing nothing it won't do any harm and can be easier on the lungs and limbs than running etc.

I did think when he was describing pain and shortness of breath that he was describing stitch which people who don't run can get quickly. I used to get stitch as a child and so couldn't/didn't run anywhere but did cycle - I used to cycle miles - my paper round alone was 5 miles on bike including a mile each way from home to the paper shop. I recently vowed to try and change it and downloaded the c25k app and started running following the plan. In the early couple of weeks on a couple of occassions I got stitch after 2 or 3 mins but persevered and ran it off. I am now up to running 22-24 mins after 6 weeks and last time got stitch after around 10 mins but ran it off after about 12.

before doing anything however he must get himself checked out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 310 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2