Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

VFR750 fuel pump problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: VFR750 fuel pump problem Reply with quote

I decided to try starting my VFR today (first time in over 2 years), when pressing the start button the fuel pump will give 1 click then not do anything else, it's the same when I connect a couple of wires to the plug and touch the battery terminals..... but if I tap one of the terminals rapidly with one of the wires it will drag fuel out of the temporary tank (petrol can).

I always thought fuel pumps had a constant 12v when starting or running to keep fuel flowing, but after tapping the wire I'm starting to think it's a rapid pulse Confused

Is the fuel pump just f**ked or sticking?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:44 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Re: VFR750 fuel pump problem Reply with quote

andym wrote:
I decided to try starting my VFR today (first time in over 2 years), when pressing the start button the fuel pump will give 1 click then not do anything else, it's the same when I connect a couple of wires to the plug and touch the battery terminals..... but if I tap one of the terminals rapidly with one of the wires it will drag fuel out of the temporary tank (petrol can).

I always thought fuel pumps had a constant 12v when starting or running to keep fuel flowing, but after tapping the wire I'm starting to think it's a rapid pulse Confused

Is the fuel pump just f**ked or sticking?

Sounds like the fuel pump is fucked. Just buy a cheap facet copy and stick that in instead.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:14 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the fuel pump on two BMW R1200GS fail coz the resistor on the wee card that controlled the pump burned out. (Induction issue).

The get around was to by-pass the wee card and drive the pump directly off the battery using a jumper cable made from a Deutz connector and croc clips to the battery.

The pump would run constantly that way but would get you out of a bind/the shite.

The wee card controlled the fuel pressure by pulsing the power supply to the pump. The make and break was what fooked the resistor on the card.

I do not know what your pump is made like but it could be connected. (no pun).

Sorry for the Tefer-esque post big yin. Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:07 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is it's an intermittant switch inside the pump (although I've never had one apart). You should hear several clicks until it's up to pressure.

They have a set of mechainical points in them which can be replaced for just under £20.

I'd check this first. The contacts may even just need filing/cleaning.

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/vfr_750_fl__rc36/90/picture/fuel_pump_repair_kit_-_point_switch/

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 13 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
My understanding is it's an intermittant switch inside the pump (although I've never had one apart). You should hear several clicks until it's up to pressure.

They have a set of mechainical points in them which can be replaced for just under £20.

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/vfr_750_fl__rc36/90/picture/fuel_pump_repair_kit_-_point_switch/

I did have the pump apart about 4 1/2 years ago as one of the wires got disconnected so I had to solder it back in place, so at least I know where that part is Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Quick update to this thread, you were almost right stinkwheel.... one of the plates had somehow managed to get over a lip so wasn't making the correct contact (highlighted section on the attached pic.

I managed to push the plate back in to place and the petrol was making short jumps along the temporary fuel line until it got to the carbs.... and after about a minute of trying to start the bike it fired up without too much fuss Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1