Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Talk to me about Gloves

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Talk to me about Gloves Reply with quote

Right, i'm in the market for a new set of gloves, as i am currently having to take 2 pairs on my commute as it is too cold in the morning for my vented leather Richa gloves, so currently using a cheapy pair of G-Mac (who?) gloves for the run to work, which are thick enough to not get cold hands, but no hard armour or waterproofness

Ideally i'd like to just have 1 pair to cover Spring/Autumn riding, as the Richa summer gloves are perfect for a weekend/evening blast

I actually bought a pair of Alpinestar Primer Drystar gloves from CMC last week, but having tried them out once on the bike i just couldn't get on with them, they were just too thick in the fingers and i had zero feel for the switch gear, and they felt quite restrictive

https://www.alpinestars.com/products/road/tech-touring/gloves/primer-drystar-leather-glove-fa18

Is this a normal thing for gloves of this type (leather palm, waterproof membrane, inner soft lining), or should i have persevered and broken them in a little, or is there a halfway house, somewhere between a full on Winter glove and a vented Summer glove

I'd probably want them to be waterproof to allow for the odd shower (or is that where i am going wrong with lack of feel), and budget is up to the £100 mark

Does such a glove exist, or do i just have to get used to thick 3 layer thick gloves

Last edited by rpsmith79 on 15:14 - 24 May 2018; edited 2 times in total

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately for warmth you will inevitably end up with thicker gloves, better off fitting heated grips and getting away with thinner gloves for longer.

On my Deauville, in the mornings with heated grips, my leather race style A* gloves are fine for the crisp mornings, but on my mt09 I wear thicker HG pantheon waterproof gloves for the mornings to take the edge off, I wear my summer gloves on the way home when it isn't so chilly.

I'll be putting heated grips on the mt09 next, even for summer it's handy for early morning and late in the evening.

I'd also say bar muffs, they are awesome, but look awful, I had them on my Deauville over winter but have taken them off since the weather has improved. They will go back on though when necessary. Game changers!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:

I'll be putting heated grips on the mt09 next, even for summer it's handy for early morning and late in the evening.

Get the Yamaha ones. They are excellent, plus no ugly control box, 2 year warranty.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:44 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Talk to be about Gloves Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
i am currently having to take 2 pairs on my commute

Is this a big problem? I often take two pairs, and thick and thin neck tubes, along with waterproofs because, ha ha, fool me once, shame on you, fool me seven or more times, shame on me.

Once you're carrying anything too big to shove in a pocket, you might as well load for bear.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Talk to be about Gloves Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:
i am currently having to take 2 pairs on my commute

Is this a big problem? I often take two pairs, and thick and thin neck tubes, along with waterproofs because, ha ha, fool me once, shame on you, fool me seven or more times, shame on me.

Once you're carrying anything too big to shove in a pocket, you might as well load for bear.

Well that's just it, they won't fit in a pocket (RST Blade leather jacket), and no room left under my seat, so taking a back pack with pretty much just my gloves in

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Talk to be about Gloves Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Well that's just it, they won't fit in a pocket (RST Blade leather jacket), and no room left under my seat, so taking a back pack with pretty much just my gloves in

As a simple and cheap solution to try out, how about an £11 pair of overmitts?

They'll fit in your pocket, and (even used in the dry) you may find they take enough of the wind off your hands to solve the problem. Always useful to have around for rain protection anyway.

Last edited by Freddyfruitbat on 13:47 - 24 May 2018; edited 1 time in total

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Talk to be about Gloves Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

As a simple and cheap solution to try out, how about a pair of overmitts?

They'll fit in your pocket, and (even used in the dry) you may find they take enough of the wind off your hands to solve the problem. Always useful to have around for rain protection anyway.

Ahh cheers, link isn't working, but i'll google them myself, never heard of such things

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Talk to be about Gloves Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Ahh cheers, link isn't working, but i'll google them myself, never hear of such things
Sorry - fixed now!

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Five Reply with quote

I've got a pair of Five that are thin enough for feel, now called the rxf4 I think. Best compromise I've had over a winter/waterproof glove. They can last most of the day without giving up. (I normally swap to my weise wave wp before saturation point.) The weise wave wp are also good, but more a summer glove.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Five Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
I've got a pair of Five that are thin enough for feel, now called the rxf4 I think. Best compromise I've had over a winter/waterproof glove. They can last most of the day without giving up. (I normally swap to my weise wave wp before saturation point.) The weise wave wp are also good, but more a summer glove.

Cheers, not come across Five before, just been looking on their site, they do a fair few that look like they might fit the bill, they even do a waterproof version of your RFX4, but the ones that really took my eye were the Stockholm WP gloves

https://five-gloves.com/glove/stockholm-wp/

They look reasonably light weight, with an over & under cuff for both wind protection and water protection, looks like they might fit the bill nicely

Just need to try and find somewhere that stocks them locally to try a pair on

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Five Reply with quote

Just checked mine, they are rxf4 waterproof. Those Stockholm however, look very good. Sportsbikeshop stock them and it's worth a visit, you can try everything you like the look of without buying anything. And, most importantly with gloves, you can take a jacket (If you go by car) and see how they work around your gear.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Talk to be about Gloves Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
As a simple and cheap solution to try out, how about an £11 pair of overmitts?

An excellent way of adding something slippery between your hands and the controls. I do not recommend.

OmegaA
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:20 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warmth - nothing worked properly until I bought heated inner liners for gloves. When I say “nothing”, I mean Hein Gericke Pathan gloves, heated bars, muffs, fleece and silk liners in addition to winter gloves, once it is below +3, it was too cold for me, but it is personal
Mine are 12 Volts, I heart some 7 Volts heated liners can do the job, but last 1-2 hours, and I drove 4 hours in one go this winter
Summer gloves - don’t know what is best, was thinking about Knox Handroid, but the firm gets bad reviews here

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:04 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Saga continues

I ended up buying some of those Five Stockholm gloves, and initial reaction was pretty much perfect, great fit on my hands, felt very comfy on the controls, and gave enough feedback to my fingertips

All was going great until i tried them on with my jacket (RST Blade leather) and the cuffs just wouldn't work at all, inside, outside, nothing felt comfortable, so they are now being sent back

Think i will end up trying some more Five gloves, as the gloves themselves felt nice, i just need to pick a pair that work with my leather jacket and my cheap textile one

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OmegaA wrote:
Warmth - nothing worked properly until I bought heated inner liners for gloves. When I say “nothing”, I mean Hein Gericke Pathan gloves, heated bars, muffs, fleece and silk liners in addition to winter gloves, once it is below +3, it was too cold for me, but it is personal
Mine are 12 Volts, I heart some 7 Volts heated liners can do the job, but last 1-2 hours, and I drove 4 hours in one go this winter
Summer gloves - don’t know what is best, was thinking about Knox Handroid, but the firm gets bad reviews here

See, the winter just gone, for my 25 mile each way commute I wore my Alpinestars leather race gloves inside some bar muffs with heated grips, half way into my commute I had to switch the grips from high to low as they would burn my fingers. This was at temps approaching freezing and some days below freezing.

So either you are unfortunate and suffer from cold hands, or your grips/muffs aren't great? My grips are cheapy ones that I can't find for sale any more, my muffs are decent though, Tucano R333.

I'm now riding without the muffs in the mornings and have the grips on low. This is on a Deauville so I'm sure the fairing does deflect some wind past my hands, but not completely.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me so far the best gloves are Halvarssons Newman gloves.

Outlast really works and I wear them 4 seasons. Keep me warm in cold days and cold in the summer. The most important bit is these are by far the most comfty gloves I have got ever.

Note for really cold winter days the only thing that really works for me are muffs.

I have 2 pairs now at home. One I wear all the time, the second is brand new, in case they stop producing them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oJbrnJBOL4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

OmegaA
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 01 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:

See, the winter just gone, for my 25 mile each way commute I wore my Alpinestars leather race gloves inside some bar muffs with heated grips, half way into my commute I had to switch the grips from high to low as they would burn my fingers. This was at temps approaching freezing and some days below freezing.

So either you are unfortunate and suffer from cold hands, or your grips/muffs aren't great? My grips are cheapy ones that I can't find for sale any more, my muffs are decent though, Tucano R333.

I'm now riding without the muffs in the mornings and have the grips on low. This is on a Deauville so I'm sure the fairing does deflect some wind past my hands, but not completely.

What can I say?
My commute is at least 3 times longer than yours, though one was 220 miles in one go. And I have muffs
Then the question is how many miles you ride at high speed. I cruise for at least an hour on motorways where I try to maintain 70 mph
When I ride around my town, I don’t bother with heated inner gloves - too much hassle putting them on and off, I use padded winter gloves. And my speed is much lower, so wind chill factor is minimal. Though I can do sometimes about 14 miles on a motorway, but my fingers don’t get too cold within such a short time
And how I am built will affect my perception of cold
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1