Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A 55 To Get Average Speed Cameras.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: A 55 To Get Average Speed Cameras. Reply with quote

Not seen this posted anywhere here.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/average-speed-cameras-set-installed-14584839

Quote:
The radar system collected speed information from 394,326 vehicles and found that 217,642 had been travelling at speeds of more than 70mph on the westbound carriageway.

Transport Secretary Ken Skates said: “Safety on our roads is an absolute priority and this latest data of vehicle speeds is clear proof why we are taking action on the A55 at Rhuallt Hill westbound.

No figures to say how many kittens were killed by those 217,642 though or how excessively over 70mph the average diver/rider was Thinking

I suspect all major roads will have them eventually.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only part of it where things do get silly is the Rhuallt Hill, some people are batshit crazy coming down it.

Thankfully, it's one of the most boring roads in the country and I avoid at all costs.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:13 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When more than half of drivers are "speeding" on a stretch of road, that means the limit is too low.

This is the same government that was talking about raising motorway limits to 80 in order to help the economy, before they started talking about lowering them in order to help the polar bears.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:17 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want the A4/A46 past bath. It's a 20 year old purpose built dual carriage way.

With a 50 limit. Riding or driving along it at the speed limit is fucking pergatory.

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the ksi figures adjusted to make it look like speeding is bad?
or have they just decided that average speed cams on a downhill bit are a potential cash cow?

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

wristjob wrote:
are the ksi figures adjusted to make it look like speeding is bad?
or have they just decided that average speed cams on a downhill bit are a potential cash cow?

Some may say you're just being cynical. Wink

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:41 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A55 has been a hotspot for getting pulled for years, guess we don't even get a chance to run now.
I liked that bit where it goes split-level...many happy throttle twisting done there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:24 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Wales is pretty much a massive no go if you want to have any fun. I went on a speed awareness course where a few bikers had been done at 32 in a 30 there.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:42 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
A55 has been a hotspot for getting pulled for years, guess we don't even get a chance to run now.
I liked that bit where it goes split-level...many happy throttle twisting done there.

It would be a shame if your number plate was obscured by a winter's riding-worth of crap...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:43 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhys99 wrote:
North Wales is pretty much a massive no go if you want to have any fun. I went on a speed awareness course where a few bikers had been done at 32 in a 30 there.

I'd have taken the option of 'court' if I got tugged for 32 in a 30. The CPS wouldn't bother pursuing.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:42 - 28 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what infuriates me, they will pull a biker for doing 32 in a 30 but not a lorry for doing 56 in a 50. Which would do more damage in a crash?

Safety bollocks its a cash cow

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 28 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhys99 wrote:

You just have to know where they camp out. A470 from the Black Cat down to Betws y Coed? Forget it, it's swarming, they know "tourists" hammer down it. The same with the A5 between Corwen and Llangollen, it's not as bad, but they do wait in the layby's for you.

I have a google map route of a stonking 170 mile(ish) N.Wales roundtrip that's easily accessible from Manchester/Liverpool/Birmingham. It specifically avoids the "hotspots" that get special attention from the plod. It has a lot of my favourite roads, passes, and some stupidly nice views. Feel free to PM if you want it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long before some smart arse in power tries to have some sort of tracking device installed in vehicles. 33 MPH in a 30 zone and the first thing you know of it is a nip through your letterbox.

It would be a damn sight cheaper to force manufacturers to install them and make the buyer pay than installing average speed cameras.

I'm sure the only thing stopping them trying it now is the backlash they get from motorists could see them dumped at the next election.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:31 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I'm sure the only thing stopping them trying it now is the backlash they get from motorists could see them dumped at the next election.

It would be amusing seeing Diane Abbott trying make an argument for or against black boxes being fitted to every car. Laughing

This is a bit of guesswork but the way insurance companies are using them more and more [citation required] means that the government don't need to involve themselves in getting them fitted to every vehicle.

Let the private sector do all the development and expensive work then once the technology is ready, make everyone (who hasn't already got one) fit them to their cars and take all the credit for road safety saving kittens won't somebody think of the children blah blah blah etc etc etc Adam Aarons.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:48 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with them, as long as they're fited to every vehicles owned by or registered to every MP, NPCC copper, and salaried judge.

And their spouses.

And their kids.

And their domestics.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:15 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
This is a bit of guesswork but the way insurance companies are using them more and more [citation required] means that the government don't need to involve themselves in getting them fitted to every vehicle.

I've noticed they don't seem to offer the same discount as a few years ago, this year I was quoted less without a black box (I wouldn't have one anyway). I'm hoping it's a fad that hasn't paid off Thumbs Up

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:34 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck.

Use the A55 every fortnight, instead of average cameras they need to shoot anyone with a caravan.

MrUprightNinj...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:51 - 07 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is wooping 55% caught speeding. Yeah not too good

davep
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:25 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed limits are in place for a reason. Safety for all road users. For example i have lived on a main road just off the A1 motorway for over 30 years. It used to be a 60mph Trunk road with no street lighting. A hamlet of 64 properties. The majority of incidents involve traffic comming from the motorway junction.In the first ten years living here 14 people were killed and several injured. In each case the vehicles were comming from the motorway. The road was de-trunked and a 30 mph limit imposed. That had the effect of lowering the fatalities but each out of the twelve properties to the left of me and including myself had rear end shunts as we waited for gaps in traffic to turn right into our drives. Again traffic flow was from the motorway. But significantly no fatalities. Now we have an illuminated speed sign which does not show speed over 33 mph. If vehicles are travelling at 40mph they pass the sign before it says SLOW DOWN. Full street lighting and now only 50 meters from the motorway a set of traffic lights..So frustrated drivers who have waited at the traffic lights ignor the 30mph and charge on thro at an average speed of 48 mph. We still have rear end shunts along the road. As for residents. we have no safe place to cross the road. The average age here is over 70, i am a youngster at 67. Residents with dissabiity scooters have no safe place to cross the road. If we do not respect the limits then motorists will be hit hard. Simple solution in Ireland and Prtugal is that you gor too fast into a limited area you pass a sencor which puts up a red light further down the road. You have to stop. Instant justice, no fine, no points and traffic flows free.
A bit long windeded for my first offereing.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:35 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

davep wrote:
Speed limits are in place for a reason. Safety for all road users. For example i have lived on a main road just off the A1 motorway for over 30 years. It used to be a 60mph Trunk road with no street lighting. A hamlet of 64 properties. The majority of incidents involve traffic comming from the motorway junction.In the first ten years living here 14 people were killed and several injured. In each case the vehicles were comming from the motorway. The road was de-trunked and a 30 mph limit imposed. That had the effect of lowering the fatalities but each out of the twelve properties to the left of me and including myself had rear end shunts as we waited for gaps in traffic to turn right into our drives. Again traffic flow was from the motorway. But significantly no fatalities. Now we have an illuminated speed sign which does not show speed over 33 mph. If vehicles are travelling at 40mph they pass the sign before it says SLOW DOWN. Full street lighting and now only 50 meters from the motorway a set of traffic lights..So frustrated drivers who have waited at the traffic lights ignor the 30mph and charge on thro at an average speed of 48 mph. We still have rear end shunts along the road. As for residents. we have no safe place to cross the road. The average age here is over 70, i am a youngster at 67. Residents with dissabiity scooters have no safe place to cross the road. If we do not respect the limits then motorists will be hit hard. Simple solution in Ireland and Prtugal is that you gor too fast into a limited area you pass a sencor which puts up a red light further down the road. You have to stop. Instant justice, no fine, no points and traffic flows free.

So one wonders why you bothered. Straight to the enemy list for you.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:57 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

davep wrote:
a sencor which puts up a red light further down the road. You have to stop.

I rode through two red lights on the way home tonight. No fine, no points, and traffic flowed freely.

Where's your God now?

davep
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:05 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
davep wrote:

So one wonders why you bothered. Straight to the enemy list for you.

I really do not understand why I bother with lots of things, or people. My be the speed issue hits me the same as drink and drug driving, One of the fatalitites was my 20 years old son killed by a 27 year old drunk druggie 14 years ago, Had the driver been doing the speed limit my son would be alive today. I do not seek sympathy , life is what it is, sometimes one is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

davep wrote:
...spergy waffle...

I'm local to this. It's a recent-ish bit of dual carriageway that is capable of taking people at *far* faster speeds than you are currently allowed, Rhuallt hill excluded. Arbitrary limits do not make the road safer, they make it less so, as everyone is looking more at their speedo than they normally would, and less at the road. I get limiting Rhuallt hill, people are fucking crazy going down it. It's amazing there are not more fatalities/serious off's, but I can't think of anywhere else this side of the Island that is helped, as opposed to hindered, by setting a stupidly low limit and enforcing it with an iron hand.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone travelling be aware - They are live now.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

davep wrote:

Have you tried a nice slice of apple pie? It might cheer you up a bit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2