Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Break down cover home start

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

kaintxu
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Break down cover home start Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Looking into breakdown cover for my bike.

Do you guys now if the home start actually covers you if the bike break down in your garage. I have read that it has to be like 0.25 miles away.

In case it has to be 0.25 away, how do you deal with a home breakdown?

Im thinking between

https://www.startrescue.co.uk/breakdown-cover

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got it back to front. Homestart covers you at home. If you *don't* have homestart they generally won't respond to breakdowns less than a quarter of a mile from your home address.

kaintxu
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah,

That makes sense. Is what I thought it would be, but little language misunderstanding.

So home start is what I need.

Any tips on the ones bellow?

With Autoaid it would be personal cover, but can´t see it mention motorbikes, just talks about cars.

With start rescue it would be a vehicle one, just for my bike, and it does have the home start service.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaintxu wrote:
With Autoaid it would be personal cover, but can´t see it mention motorbikes, just talks about cars.

'The vehicle / your vehicle – a saloon car, hatchback,
estate car, car derived van or motorcycle over 150 cc's.
Motorised caravans can be covered provided they are
under 2.5 tons gross vehicle weight and with an engine
capacity of no more than 2500 cc, which is being driven
by either you, or your legal spouse or civil partner.'

https://autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/document-downloads/

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:41 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Auto Aid. It used to be pay-and-reclaim but now they sort out a recovery monkey for you. I've had cause to call them a few times for both bikes and cars, remote and at my home address, including a car that burst a brake line in my driveway. They've got a van out pretty sharpish with no fuss or argument each time.

kaintxu
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info.

I was also reading the following

The costs involved in taking the vehicle to the nearest available garage.

Does this mean they would not take the bike to my usual bike store, which while in town, is not the nearest garage?

OmegaA
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+AutoAid breakdown road assistance cover. Call them to check to be sure - usually they will take you to your garage in your town or nearest if broken on motorway
Used them last month - they call for a local biker shop. They guy came out quickly in my case

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Thumbs Up for AutoAid

Clutch exploded a few weeks ago and they recovered me home on a Saturday evening, and then collected the bike on the next working day to take it to a workshop of my choice (which is 11 miles away but not the nearest). On both occasions within an hour, with a proper motorcycle breakdown/recovery contractor (SOS), and without a hint of reluctance or bother.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:51 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure Auto Aid and Start Rescue are the same firm, just different trading names and styles. Could be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they'll take you home or to a garage. I saw some negative reviews on Autoaid where people were wondering after being taken to a garage and finding out they had a massive repair bill, why they weren't eligible for a tow home Neutral

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:32 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The level of cover depends on how much you pony up and is usually indicated in 'levels'. I'm with StartRescue (which luckily I've never had to use) and the 'basic' cheap package is the usual cover starts a mile from home. You can then upgrade to (more expensive) levels that will include home start.

Personally, I don't bother with home start. If it's fucked and won't start then I use another vehicle and deal with the problem later. And if it breaks down within a mile, then it's time to get sweaty and push; bikes that is, not the car. If that happens then get a friend to tow it either home or outside the mile radius.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:59 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to autoaid, been using them for 7? years, never had an issue with a claim and last time I needed them they sent a bod direct.

Best bit is they tend to do as you ask. Rather than send a guy in a van to confirm that your clutch is indeed, fucked... they send a flatbed to take you where you want it to go.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:10 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't bother, I have a credit card. Over 12 years riding bikes and 5 driving cars I've only needed recovery 3 times.

1. Knackered Clutch on a GS500, my fault I was young and thick for riding it.
2. Suspected blown fuel pump (turned out to be dodgy wiring)
3. Puncture (bought a stop and go tyre kit.)

I have a basic tool kit on the bike and I have a spare clutch cable, tyre plugger and CO2. In my car I have a battery jumper.

Should something unforeseen happen I'll just pay out, in the long run I'll be better off I reckon.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I don't bother, I have a credit card. Over 12 years riding bikes and 5 driving cars I've only needed recovery 3 times.

I have a basic tool kit on the bike and I have a spare clutch cable, tyre plugger and CO2. In my car I have a battery jumper.

Should something unforeseen happen I'll just pay out, in the long run I'll be better off I reckon.

What was the cost of those recoveries? I've never used my breakdown cover, closest was when my clutch cable went and I just about made it home, however I've had the bike fail to start at home which sort of counts as well. Anyhoo I've always had cover be it a freebie with an insurance policy, a cheap RAC thing to cover commuting, or now autoaids with multiple vehicles.

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:02 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chris-red wrote:

What was the cost of those recoveries? I've never used my breakdown cover, closest was when my clutch cable went and I just about made it home, however I've had the bike fail to start at home which sort of counts as well. Anyhoo I've always had cover be it a freebie with an insurance policy, a cheap RAC thing to cover commuting, or now autoaids with multiple vehicles.

1 was covered with a freeby you get with some insurance companies. 2 was £110 (rare instance I was further away from home than ~15 miles,) I think the bloke charged me £1.50 per mile + a £40 call out.
3 was covered with a freeby too.

If I often were on long trips I might consider some form of cover.

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:12 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
closest was when my clutch cable went and I just about made it home,

I had this too, hence why I carry the cables now! luckily I was close, the first pull away from stand still is only time I've ever wheelied my bike whilst the rear wheel was spinning Laughing

brains_t
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:54 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another for Auto Aid, having seen many hit with the "Your cover only gets you 20 miles free." Had an oil seal go on the way to a Sunday meet. They took me and the bike home and came back the next day to collect the bike and deliver it to the garage of my choice. The recovery guy couldn't believe they authorised this and I only realised it was possible when I asked the agent what were my options as the garage were closed on Sunday.

Think there is a discount available via Groupon at the moment, search Groupon for Personal Breakdown cover.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

brains_t wrote:
Think there is a discount available via Groupon at the moment, search Groupon for Personal Breakdown cover.

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/autoaid-1 - done it twice now via Group On, they send you a code you have to redeem (don't forgot to) Smile

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:22 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

another 1 for auto aid. My cover with them had expired a few years ago and I had to call them out of desperation as my car scrapped itself on the A500 and I just got to a slip road with the clutch in to get to a safeish stop. They sent out a tow truck and brought me and the car home even though I couldn't afford to pay them the renewal.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:07 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
My cover with them had expired a few years ago [...] They sent out a tow truck and brought me and the car home even though I couldn't afford to pay them the renewal.

But I was paying them? Well... you're welcome, I guess. Eh?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1