BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New MOT rules

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: New MOT rules Reply with quote

New MOT rules have arrived, 40 years and older bikes and cars now MOT EXEMPT !! see vosa or what ever they call themselves now for correct info !!!!!!!!

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Re: New MOT rules Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
New MOT rules have arrived, 40 years and older bikes and cars now MOT EXEMPT !! see vosa or what ever they call themselves now for correct info !!!!!!!!

I've just taxed my Mini Moke without an MOT, there's a declaration form I had to sign (V112, I think) and send off (I was doing it by post anyway because I had lost the V5 and the Post Office were useless) ... so not sure what the normal process would be.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:11 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And nothing really onerous for the rest of us. Change your brake fluid or at least what's showing in the reservoir and you'll be right.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My van passed this morning. One minor advisory for an oil leak I already knew about that's been staining my gravel drive.
It's already booked back in for a replacement sump pan to be fitted before I go for my hols, don't want a cleaning charge from
where I'm staying for messing their parking area up. Next thing in for MOT is the XR125.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Re: New MOT rules Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:

Wow! Thanks for the info, i never knew about this Rolling Eyes

All well and good except most insurance companies still insist you get an MOT. And before Borg or any other armchair experts pipe up, i've just had this very discussion with my Insurance company this week.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
My van passed this morning. One minor advisory for an oil leak I already knew about that's been staining my gravel drive.

I hope you've not been driving it like that Tut Tut

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:22 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old GT500 qualifies and is also tax exempt Cool

The 300 miles I do on it in a typical year will now cost me even less Laughing

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:22 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old GT500 qualifies and is also tax exempt Cool

The 300 miles I do on it in a typical year will now cost me even less Laughing

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Re: New MOT rules Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:

All well and good except most insurance companies still insist you get an MOT. And before Borg or any other armchair experts pipe up, i've just had this very discussion with my Insurance company this week.

Aside from what insurance companies might require, I'm not really sure why anyone wouldn't want to MOT their bike, unless they intend to ride it around in a condition where it was likely to fail.

The classic car brigade have been debating this for some time and it seems the general consensus is, at the very least it's a tiny price to pay for an independent inspection.

There's also a school of thought that a current MOT still ads value to a vehicle, even if it's exempt - as a buyer, it might not be worth much more than the paper it's written on, but I'm not totally relying on the good nature/mechanical skills of the seller, especially if I'm not in a position to crawl around underneath the thing; OK, it's easier to inspect a bike, but when buying fever sets in, it's just as easy to miss stuff.

As an owner, it would be so simple to put off a repair that you might have done at MOT time, then suddenly find a couple of years has passed and something has failed, maybe dangerously so.

Certainly as a tester, I've spotted some things that even properly fastidious owners have missed, and many times I've pointed out stuff to owners that consider themselves well on top of general maintenance.

For a cost of 57p a week, continuing to test your bike seems like a no brainer to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I use the MOT history (rightly or wrongly) as an indication of the state of the vehicle. Without that I'd be a lot more wary when purchasing a vehicle, and would probably go for one with an MOT than without.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I hope you've not been driving it like that Tut Tut

Yep, it's a very minor leak, just built up on the drive as it's always parked in the same spot. It will be fixed with a new
sump pan, it's booked in for the work on 6th June. Waiting for parts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:18 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Re: New MOT rules Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
I'm not really sure why anyone wouldn't want to MOT their bike

I'll think it's worthwhile when I fail one or it picks up something that I didn't already know about, but it's not happened yet.

This is in contrast to car MOTs where I'm happy enough to pay for it to go up on ramps and have a torch shone at the mucky bits.

As a tester, you'll be aware that bikes pass at a higher rate than even (now) MOT exempt classic cars, right?

By any reasonable evidence-based logic, either old cars shouldn't be MOT exempt, or all bikes should. But muh feels.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: mot Reply with quote

Just shows how nuts vosa actually are imhp, and I would mot my cars and bikes as It would probably decrease the insurance.

But not having to MOT and tax, well how liberating.

However judging from the state of some of the bikes etc on here, one wonders........

MOT's are a joke and should be in government hands, not private business.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Re: mot Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:

MOT's are a joke and should be in government hands

Strong and stable government hands? Remind me who was responsible for the recent moving of the goalposts again?

Anyhoo...

https://www.ukmot.com/Council-MOT-Test-Centers/UK

No need to use private garages at all.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:22 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Re: mot Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
Just shows how nuts vosa actually are imhp, and I would mot my cars and bikes as It would probably decrease the insurance.

But not having to MOT and tax, well how liberating.

However judging from the state of some of the bikes etc on here, one wonders........

MOT's are a joke and should be in government hands, not private business.

You do know that a load of councils do mots and they tend to be impartial because they don't really want to do your repairs.

It all starts as them wanting to mot their own fleet, then discover that they have to provide the service to the general public, and then realise they are a profitable sideline...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Councils charge the full price though, I've never had an issue with my local Kwik fit (£25 MOT). I would suggest the reason so many bikes pass is cos of 'friendly' MOT testers. I've never even had an advisory (with two local garages) when I know some should have failed Shifty

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:11 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Re: mot Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
https://www.ukmot.com/Council-MOT-Test-Centers/UK

They're all set up for bike MOTs, right?

I suspect my 'friendly' tester would fail for brakes, tyres or suspension. They certainly do note when they're getting funky.

They still do the entire test in under 5 minutes, then run out the clock for another 15 or 20 though, which shows how daft DVSA's expectations are.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more or less so than normal MOT centres, but if the grievance is not wanting to use privately run establishments
there is provision to not do so. Even if you do have to make a phone call or two and ask and perhaps travel a little.
Depends how important the principle is to someone how much effort they will go to to avoid using private establishments.
Personally I use JHS Racing for MOTing the scoot as they straight up refuse to work on scoots in general but are still
obliged to MOT them. But they won't go fishing for work. My MOT guy for the van is a friend of a friend who owns a local garage.
I use the main agent for the Swift and get the service done at the same time. I will probably use JHS for the Spacker
as and when it needs MOT assuming I don't just lob it in against another new bike when it's 3 years old.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:46 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/parking-and-travel/mot-testing

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:18 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Re: New MOT rules Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:

Carole Nash don’t.

I wonder if they even can refuse cover for that reason.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Re: mot Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

They're all set up for bike MOTs, right?

the local one to me used to be as they(somebody like a social worker) used to run about on mopeds

cant think who it was but they were Yamaha things that were blue and white
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Re: New MOT rules Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:

Carole Nash don’t.

I wonder if they even can refuse cover for that reason.

Carole Nash are shit though.

Also what part of me being told in no uncertain terms that an MOT is a requirement of my insurance did you not understand?

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:07 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Re: New MOT rules Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:

In what way, that others aren’t?

Quote:
Also what part of me being told in no uncertain terms that an MOT is a requirement of my insurance did you not understand?

I understand exactly what you claim you were told.

Insurance people have an awful habit of lying (in no uncertain terms lol!) down the phone. I don’t even know how reliable you are.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Re: mot Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:

MOT's are a joke and should be in government hands
they are in the governments hands in Northern Ireland and currently have a 6 week backlog, the last thing you want is the government goons pawing over your motorcycle when they MUST have a high fail rate to keep themselves in a job. The 40 year excemption also does not apply in NI.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:58 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Re: New MOT rules Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:
GT200Fan79 wrote:

In what way, that others aren’t?

Like MCE they seem to spend a lot on advertising and have to claim it back by being particularly c**ty.

However MCE are the only people keeping me on two wheels Wub
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 327 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2