Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thoughts on my 1200RS test ride?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 22 May 2018    Post subject: Thoughts on my 1200RS test ride? Reply with quote

Tested a 2015 BMW 1200RS today - really liked it.

Would really welcome some feedback on a couple of issues I had with it though... first, a quite alarming clunk when engaging 1st gear, and secondly, a rumbly vibration through the pegs at around 2500-3000 rpm. These were predictably greeted with a "OhTheyAllDoThatSir" when I got back to the dealer (meaning Boxer twins) - is that fair/accurate (this is my first time riding one)? Neither was a big issue for me as such, unless of course they indicate a fault or imminent problem.

I also got to thinking about the riding position, which although comfortable, had my knees quite a lot higher up than I'm used to, which made me wonder whether I'd be less happy after 250 miles or so in the saddle. There's the BMW-sanctioned option of a higher seat which I might need/go for; but can anyone tell me about lowering foot pegs on this bike, if I decided that was necessary too? Would be useful to know if that was also an option, if I went ahead with this bike.

Thanks

Last edited by Freddyfruitbat on 13:23 - 23 May 2018; edited 1 time in total

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:02 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My BMW is quite a bit older than the one you tested but I suppose the basic technology is similar. The clunk into gear is normal, mine and a mates GS both do it.
There is some vibration thinking about it, but not so much as to be intrusive or maybe I've got used to it. Its sort of general and not in one rev range.
Knees being too high or seat too low is a problem. When I first got it I thought it would be so comfortable. Wrong. There is so much weight on your arse it was bearable for about an hour. There is a peg lowering kit made for mine (R1150R) but I just put half a lambswool fleece on the seat which raises it a bit. There seems to be various gel seats, peg lowering kits about so it must be a bit of an issue.
I like my boxer, its a heavy old lump but handles it well, good brakes and well built. Maintenance is dead easy and I do all my own, get the oils etc from Moto Works in Huddersfield.
Main thing is its got character and a bit of an old school feel, so it suits me.

OGR

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an '03 R850R and an '87 R100RS.
I guess they must still be using the same gearbox, because both of those had a noticeable clunk into first and neither would be what I'd call slick through the rest of the gears.
However I was under the impression that they'd moved things forward a fair bit - try and get out on another boxer of the same age to see if it is something peculiar to the bike you test rode?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:21 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GS gearbox clunk is a well know characteristic. It is called 'agricultural' and not a think to worry about.
Almost never finds a fake neutral so I may be a purposeful design.
Great range and the best all your shit carrier on the market.
Deck chairs, windbreaker, BBQ et al.
Comfortable seat. Easy to get to stuff for service.
The elevated ride height permits superb eye-ball to eye-ball intimidation of Cnuts in SUVs.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I may be a purposeful design.

Emphasis on the "may", folks. Mr. Green

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks people!

So; am happy with the 'clunk' and the riding position thing - what about the vibes issue?

Not fussed if that's a thing with boxers or the 1200RS, but just need reassuring it's not symptomatic of a possible problem...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:38 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully not to obvious or triggering a question, but if you want a GS riding position, why not get a GS?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 23 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Hopefully not to obvious or triggering a question, but if you want a GS riding position, why not get a GS?

Cos I don't want a GS or a GS riding position?! Wink

Am on a V-Strom at the mo, where actually which the only thing I'm not too keen on is its quite high riding position. As I said, am actually fine with the RS as it is; it's just that I wanted to be sure I had an 'out' if it turned out a bit cramped for me on very long distances; and am happy about that now.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:29 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is the case, then it kind of begs the question why put up with a clunky gearbox, vibey motor and a compromised riding position (that can be fixed - *it can't, it will just transfer pain to another area*) just to have a BMW?

There is really liking it, then there is really liking it. Why not look at something that isn't a BMW, after all from what I can work out the only reason to put up with BMWness is to have a GS which is (arguably) just about the best adventure bike on the market. If you don't want a GS or *that* riding position then why not try out numerous other bikes in roughly the same category such as the Kwak SX1000, Suzuki GSX1000 etc. All will be more capable and faster than the 1200RS with more sorted motors and ergonomics.

If you are able and about to drop the necessary cash to buy a 2015 Beemer then you have about the widest choice of bikes possible to a second hand buyer. If I rode something that had a pain in the ass riding position, shit gearbox and vibey motor I'd be off down the next dealership quick sharp.

Can highly recommend a ZZR1400 for mile munching by the way. Awesome machine.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1200R owner here, the clunk into first and vibration is completely normal. Sadly, there's not many options i've seen for lowering the pegs.

Be aware, if you raise the seat you might want to add some bar risers as well so you don't end up hunching forward more.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
If that is the case, then it kind of begs the question why put up with a clunky gearbox, vibey motor and a compromised riding position (that can be fixed - *it can't, it will just transfer pain to another area*) just to have a BMW?

Yes you make a very valid point. That said -

I'm really not bothered by the clunks and vibes - I doubt I'd even notice the vibey thing had I not been specifically looking for problems - my only worry was whether it might have signified a mechanical issue.

As for the riding position... maybe I've not made myself clear enough, but on the test ride I did actually like it as it was. That's not just me kidding myself I could 'put up' with it, I liked being quite low down and being able to flat-foot it was a positive bonus. (During the 2-year ownership of my V-Strom I've managed to drop it twice, which certainly wouldn't have happened if its seat had been as low as the Beemer's! And is the main reason I don't want a GS). For regular ride-outs etc I know the RS will be absolutely fine; my concern was 'what if' on those occasional very long trips the riding position caused problems, would there be a possible solution - to which the answer is evidently a qualified 'yes'.

Ultimately, this is an itch which after many years (over 30 actually!) I do really want to scratch. And as I'm buying the RS at 3 years old for a fair price, for me the worst case scenario is that I could just offload it again for minimal loss, which is a risk I'm prepared for.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll ask the question, have you tried a newish GS with the seat in the low position? My friend Mo's GS is a 2013 model and he is totally flat footed on it. He sold his RT1200 as it was too large and high for him - he had dropped it twice at standstill - and bought the GS after realising it was lower.

With that out of the way, Ducati Multistrada? Laughing

If you are dead set on it and your fears of a mechanical issue are quashed then that's /thread innit?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
Have you tried a newish GS with the seat in the low position?
Quite probably (having been at the NEC show last year and sat on every Beemer in sight) but can't honestly remember now. If the GS is/was low enough for me, that's a fair point. I know they have a great rep, but apart from the height thing I'm just not that into them at the moment, firstly because frankly everyone and his dog has one these days, and secondly because I already have an adventure bike (which I'll probably keep) so fancy something a bit different.

lilredmachine wrote:
Ducati Multistrada?
Indeed, that's right up near the top of my wishlist - but it's that ITCH, y'see...

lilredmachine wrote:
If you are dead set on it and your fears of a mechanical issue are quashed then that's /thread innit?
Kinda. Deposit paid last night actually Wink
(Watch this space when I come crawling back here in a few months bleating 'I got it wrong..')

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Thanks people!

So; am happy with the 'clunk' and the riding position thing - what about the vibes issue?

Not fussed if that's a thing with boxers or the 1200RS, but just need reassuring it's not symptomatic of a possible problem...

The engines are balanced using balance shafts. So vibration is limited.
Rev it's tits off and you'll feel vibes.
But not a big problem even at m/way cruise 80mph.
The BMW GS stigma is something you have to deal with.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only boxer engines worth it's salt is a Goldwing. Everything else is just a lump of Bavarian bratwurst. Razz

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
The BMW GS stigma is something you have to deal with.
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
If the GS is/was low enough for me, that's a fair point. I know they have a great rep, but apart from the height thing I'm just not that into them at the moment, firstly because frankly everyone and his dog has one these days, and secondly because I already have an adventure bike (which I'll probably keep) so fancy something a bit different.
Wink

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:29 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the gearbox manufacturer for BMW Motorrad is actually one that makes boxes for tractors.

My R80, R1100, R1150 and K75 all had clunky boxes.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The only boxer engines worth it's salt is a Goldwing. Everything else is just a lump of Bavarian bratwurst. Razz

Isn't that a flat 6, and not a boxer?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I think it's the 'flat' bit that makes it a boxer, rather than the number of cylinders

caragh
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:37 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I owned a r1150r rockster for a few months it was an itch I needed to scratch also. In the end it had a little too much character for me but I am glad I owned it, was an fun experience for the most part.
It made an amazing noise with the decat and Remus carbon exhaust.

I thought the term boxer came from the way the two pistons resemble punches.
All the best hope it’s a positive experience for you and not too expensive.

Regards
Steve

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I think it's the 'flat' bit that makes it a boxer, rather than the number of cylinders

No, it's crankpins, individual or shared per pair. 99.9% sure that the Goldwing uses a common crankpin per pair of pistons. Could be wrong, it's been 20 years since I've taken one apart, but I'd be surprised.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1