Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which first bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

newrider2018
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:15 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Which first bike? Reply with quote

I have just passed my Mod 2 and I am really struggling with trying to decide what bike i should get. I learnt on a SV650 and I am looking at advice on where to go from here. I have spoken to a few people who have said get the bike I want not worrying about engine size as I am in control of the throttle. i have sat on a few the yamaha mt07 and the ducati monster 797 are coming up the most comfy. I was wondering what peoples thoughts are for a first bike for an A licence holder.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:43 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you like (if anything) and what did you dislike about riding the SV650?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your riding intentions? Touring, commuting, two up, short blasts?

newrider2018
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:45 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was the first bike I have ever ridden apart from 1 day on a 125.
there was nothing that really stood out either way.

newrider2018
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:47 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at doing a bit of everything more pleasure riding than anything else. i will mostly be on village roads and going through city centre

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:18 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Which first bike? Reply with quote

newrider2018 wrote:
I have spoken to a few people who have said get the bike I want not worrying about engine size as I am in control of the throttle.

Absolutely. Pretty much all modern bikes are decent. It's a matter of personal preference. But you won't know what you really prefer until you've tried a few.

So don't sperg out and over think it. If you want an MT-07, get an MT-07. If you want a monster, get a monster. It'll be right, and you win, or it'll be not quite right, and you can change it.

Don't imagine that you'll find your perfect bike-for-life on the first try, just buy something and see how you get on.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 11:56 - 28 May 2018; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 27 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Which first bike? Reply with quote

newrider2018 wrote:
I have spoken to a few people who have said get the bike I want not worrying about engine size as I am in control of the throttle.

It's more poor clutch control or ballsing up a corner that will fire you into the scenery. An MT-07's a decent shout, I'd get one over a Monster purely because with Ducati you're paying for the badge. Get one with ABS if you're a front brake grabber.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:46 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Which first bike? Reply with quote

MT07 is a great bike I'd get this over the Ducati.

M.C wrote:
Get one with ABS if you're a front brake grabber.

ABS obviously is great. Having said that you need to be aware what is good and what is not so good when you ride bike with ABS.

The good news is when ABS kicks in and there is something dodgy on the road when you are braking it disengages the brakes and the bike stays upright and you don't fall over. The bad news is you don't have brakes during that time.

You need to experience it to appreciate the horror when you brake and there are no brakes. Exactly why I have written off my previous MT09.

My current MT09 don't have ABS. A van has done sudden right turn in front of me few weeks ago. I was braking hard. There was something dodgy on the road. The bike has wobbled left and right. I have not fallen down and the bike has stopped. The same situation with ABS would have been my second MT09 written off in a white van.

If you understand how ABS works and are PREPARED for it - fine with me. Generally speaking with ABS I'd ride slower then without it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Which first bike? Reply with quote

Val wrote:
ABS obviously is great. Having said that you need to be aware what is good and what is not so good when you ride bike with ABS.

The good news is when ABS kicks in and there is something dodgy on the road when you are braking it disengages the brakes and the bike stays upright and you don't fall over. The bad news is you don't have brakes during that time.

You need to experience it to appreciate the horror when you brake and there are no brakes. Exactly why I have written off my previous MT09.

My current MT09 don't have ABS. A van has done sudden right turn in front of me few weeks ago. I was braking hard. There was something dodgy on the road. The bike has wobbled left and right. I have not fallen down and the bike has stopped. The same situation with ABS would have been my second MT09 written off in a white van.

If you understand how ABS works and are PREPARED for it - fine with me. Generally speaking with ABS I'd ride slower then without it.

You've just described why I don't like ABS Smile If you're not a front brake grabber then I'd definitely recommend doing without. I'm not sure why car manufacturers seem able to create ABS systems that are a genuine safety net, when bike systems seem to be overly intrusive.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:18 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went in for a Ninja as my first bike - the guy said "Nah you cant have that for a first bike try a CB650F"

Whilst he was actually right, (i actually found the supersport riding position weird) the CB650F ... was just a little.. boring... for me at least.

2 months later once I had gotten used to the bigger bike, i tried my mates Ninja for a quick blast. Suddenly the angled grips werent that much of a problem anymore!

The next day I traded it in for an RR. the difference is night and day.

I guess my point is, get something but remember it isnt set in stone. The option to trade up/down is always there should you have an itch to scratch.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:38 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go further and plan for changing in short order. Get something that won't hurt you in the wallet or feels if you only realise what you really want after you've got what you really don't.

You won't know what you do or don't want until you're actually riding, so get something.

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:15 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I past my test 5 years ago and I'm on my 4th bike already.

Not so much that I didn't like the previous bike, I just wanted to try something different.

Anything inline 4-600 or 650-750 twin will do just fine. Sports/Tourer/muscle style is purely down to personal choice.

You could spend months trying different rides then end up back at the first one. Go with a sensible power delivery and you'll love it what ever you get but you'll want to try something else after a year or so.

My bike went like this :-

YBR 125 2011 - Loved it at first then hated it on dual carriage-ways

Suzuki RF600 - Fist big bike. Loved it but old and looking tired.

Bandit 12000 - OMG. What a machine. Got sick of polishing the pipes though. More power than you'd ever need.

Triumph Sprint 955i - Tripple engine had beautiful delivery. Loads of fairing to keep the weather off. Quick bike but kept hitting the rev limiter in second gear.

GSXR 1000 K3 - I've always loved the look of these bikes and heard so much about them. Bought mine 5 months ago. Sporty but actually very comfortable. I commute 36 mile round trip per day but 90% of my journey is country roads. This ones a keeper (until I fancy something else)

One thing I have found though is that since passing my test and moving to a bigger bike I miss some of the tiny roads I used to take my YBR down.

Like I say, go sensible on power and heart on style/looks and you're all set.

Good luck and stay shiny side up.
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1