BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hi!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

MD1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:11 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Hi! Reply with quote

Hi there - just popping by to say hello as a new biker (sort of). I “passed” my CBT recently and despite having a casual interest in bikes for years, it’s only now I’ve done something about it and got the CBT. I’m starting to look around at some potential bikes, as well as the essential gear. Thought it made sense to join a forum as I’m a member of other forums for other things...

Cheers,

Matt

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Hi! Reply with quote

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-59Disx9br2vav-seDp_Ht2l5CuyY2693OwE1-al0iaKzqayeVQ

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:42 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'ya like cats?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome.

Oh, and prepare to be Teffed.

MD1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:46 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
D'ya like cats?

No.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:50 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MD1 wrote:
Ste wrote:
D'ya like cats?

No.

https://i.imgur.com/ZCN8f2W.jpg

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:28 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Oh fell for it again Brick Wall

Hi btw

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:02 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Ohhh, that's what everyone's avatars and .sigs look like.

Ahoy, Matt. Yes, you are going to receive a Teffing (you'll know it when you see if), but it's kindly meant. I mean, you can tell yourself that.

Quick, before he gets here, what bike are you after? Are you going on to training and tests, or wasting some time on a tiddler first?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:12 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

You utter utter utter utter cunt.

Beer tiems tomorrow?

MD1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:30 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Ste wrote:

Ohhh, that's what everyone's avatars and .sigs look like.

Ahoy, Matt. Yes, you are going to receive a Teffing (you'll know it when you see if), but it's kindly meant. I mean, you can tell yourself that.

Quick, before he gets here, what bike are you after? Are you going on to training and tests, or wasting some time on a tiddler first?

Having had a good look around the site and the other newbie threads, I’m fully expecting a Teffing...

I’m in this for the fun of it - I’d like a bike to keep in the garage and take out for pleasure/social - I’ve got a car so I’m not looking to commute on a bike as such.

Having only just done the CBT, I want more practice with a 125 and I’m happy to take my time over the next year or two instead of rushing into tests etc. My plan was to get a 125 and practice around where I live for the next year or two, or until I feel I’m ready to do the Mod 1/Mod 2 - I wouldn’t rule out any further lessons etc, but it isn’t too busy where I live so I’d be comfy going out on the roads/local places to practice. I’m in no rush to get in a bigger bike.

I like cruisers/cafe style bikes, and I’ve looked at the Chinese route as well as the more sensible YBR route etc as well. Not made up my mind on that front yet. Ideally, if I had a grand to spend I’d go and get an older Marauder etc.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:53 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MD1 wrote:

I like cruisers/cafe style bikes

You'll be please to know that we are quite inclusive and won't hold your homosexuality against you.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:25 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBR Custom is OK, if you can get one with a good exhaust. If it's not solid then run, run for your life and wallet.

MD1 wrote:
My plan was to get a 125 and practice around where I live for the next year or two, or until I feel I’m ready to do the Mod 1/Mod 2 - I wouldn’t rule out any further lessons etc

Are you cognisant that the only licence that you can get by using a 125 on the tests is a licence to ride a 125?

If you want to ride anything bigger then in practice you'll be going via a training school to get access to their insured bikes and accompanying instructor.

I had a great laugh on a 125 for a year, but the moment I rode anything bigger (under the old system where you could get a full licence via the 125 route) I wished I'd done so sooner.

That counts double for cruiser stylee bikes, which rely on a big, torquey engine to lug all that weight around. 125, er, cruisers come with the lard, but not the grunt.

That's not to say that you won't enjoy them, but I would urge you to either:

1) Blag a go on a bigger bike before committing to buy a 125.
or
2) Do not even sit on a bigger bike until you're ready to go for your training and tests.

The instant you twist the throttle you'll find out why.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:12 - 26 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, YBR 250 owner here. enjoy the journey.

MD1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:43 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
YBR Custom is OK, if you can get one with a good exhaust. If it's not solid then run, run for your life and wallet.

MD1 wrote:
My plan was to get a 125 and practice around where I live for the next year or two, or until I feel I’m ready to do the Mod 1/Mod 2 - I wouldn’t rule out any further lessons etc

Are you cognisant that the only licence that you can get by using a 125 on the tests is a licence to ride a 125?

If you want to ride anything bigger then in practice you'll be going via a training school to get access to their insured bikes and accompanying instructor.

I had a great laugh on a 125 for a year, but the moment I rode anything bigger (under the old system where you could get a full licence via the 125 route) I wished I'd done so sooner.

That counts double for cruiser stylee bikes, which rely on a big, torquey engine to lug all that weight around. 125, er, cruisers come with the lard, but not the grunt.

That's not to say that you won't enjoy them, but I would urge you to either:

1) Blag a go on a bigger bike before committing to buy a 125.
or
2) Do not even sit on a bigger bike until you're ready to go for your training and tests.

The instant you twist the throttle you'll find out why.

When I take the tests, I plan to go for the Direct Access anyway so yes, it’ll be on the bigger bike - of course, I’ll be looking to get training in beforehand. As I’m such a novice though, and the CBT was the first time I’d been on a proper bike, I’d like to get myself a 125 to practice with and work towards being more confident/competent on two wheels.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:24 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't learn by 'Accident'... well, you might..... but it usually hurts.....

IF you expect to pay big course fees for a course of lessons to teach you how to pass tests..... what 'exactly' do you expect to, well, without doing the lessons to have anything to 'practice' what do you expect to do on a 125 for two-chuffing-years?!?!?

125's are a great training tool, and spending 'some' time on one where they dont have an excess of anything to make life easy for you, and tend to punish you for mistakes rather than flatter numptiness, can instill a level of fine control and finesse many straight to big bike DAS trained folk never get..... but TWO YEARS?!?!?

Either you will spend most of it trying to remember when you last put petrol in it and where the indicator switch is and what you were old on CBT, in a 'cram' of all you have to be told on the course by the DSA rule book, you probably couldn't remember more than half of the next day, let alone TWO CHUFFING YEARS!!!! down the road......
OR, you'll convince yourself that this is all a piece of pizz and you dont know what they were talking about, being lazy about it all, and NOT learning, and NOT instilling the discapline and finesse a 125 can offer.... and muttering things like "Well, we have a 70mph speed limit in this country! I don't wee why ANY-ONE needs anything more powerful than a 125, really!".. decidedly NOT learning, actually dismissing any learning you may have done, as you entrench 'bad-habbits'.. and NOT get a licence.....

Yeah... yuu-bin-teffed....

Go get some lessons, go get a licence... like within the next couple of MONTHS not YEARS... whether you do that on a 125 or via DAS on a big bike, is your call... BUT, you have effall to 'practice' till you dun the lessons, and you have NO plan to do them, just a suggestion you might, at some indefinite point in the future.... mauybe.. when you is confident enough!!!

125's dont give you confidence... wobbling around knowing not what the heck you are doing with only some half remembered ideas from a day doing CBT does not give confidence.... what gives confidence is KNOWING what you are doing.... and you get that by getting a licence, from a chap that is qualified to qualify you and hand you a bit of paper that says "Yup.... you DO know what you are about...carry on!"

"Oh yeah! I DO know what I'm doing, chap with clip-board say so!"

Going it alone on a 125 is the school of hard knocks, and them knocks come hard, and expensive, and you still have to work out what you did wrong to be able to learn from them, 'by accident'...

And if you expect to pay for lessons at some point any-how, cut the crap, cut to the chase, stop wallying at it, and go do it....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:00 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a pretty gentle Teffing, and I actually agree with it.

You're going to spend the money on a training course and tests anyway.

Why not do it now, when it will benefit you the most?

125s are fun and forgiving, but they also teach you bad habits, such as that you can't accelerate out of trouble, or that you can stop on a bad camber on bad footing without having a bad day.

I promise you, the instant you ride a 600cc+ training bike, you're going to figure out why this advice is cromulent.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 28 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
125s are fun and forgiving, but they also teach you bad habits, such as that you can't accelerate out of trouble, or that you can stop on a bad camber on bad footing without having a bad day.

I wouldn't say those are bad habits, learning how to corner properly is a major plus point of a tiddler IMO. Bad habits would be more when you eventually jump on a bike with the power 4x and crank the throttle on.

I agree you have to respect the weight on big bikes but again that's a plus point of tiddlers. I'd have definitely had more drops, possibly crashes if I'd gone straight to a big bike, not that it was uneventful when I did make the move Embarassed
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 305 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1