Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pot holes to Mole hills

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

davep
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:50 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Pot holes to Mole hills Reply with quote

As i am a daily road user I have seen some pot holes raplaced with mole hills , some jobs the councils are paying out our money for poor quality repairs.. Today I have done 120 mile round trip and seen grass verges being cut in the middle of knowhere, to the benefit of no one. I cant walk on my local footpath because of lack of maintenance.
Now if we use the same theory that the government used when Brexit won by a very slim majority " that a win is a win".
We should do the same with HS2 The majority of us will never see or use a train in our lives. An estimated 10% of the population would benefit with HS2.
Scrapping it and ploughing the money into roads would benefit 100% of the population, and it needs starting now. Am I misguided?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:52 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So farmers in the middle of knowhere [sic] shouldn't be allowed to cut the verge and hedge back?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Pot holes to Mole hills Reply with quote

davep wrote:
Am I misguided?

Yes.

I may respond further if you get someone who has English as their first language to repost it for you.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Re: Pot holes to Mole hills Reply with quote

davep wrote:
Today I have done 120 mile round trip and seen grass verges being cut in the middle of knowhere, to the benefit of no one.

Go ask a farmer, any farmer, why they cut verges and hedges. If they didn't need to, they sure as shit wouldn't. The local authority can force them to cut if if they haven't and it causes issues and/or complaints.

When you've done that, and had a night course in English, come back and further your discussion.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the need for HS2. The commuter routes into London bring workers in from multiple small stations yet HS2 is designed to rush between cities without stopping. Who lives in Birmingham* and works in Sheffield, or Manchester? It seems like a vanity project to match French routes but misses an important point**. Most high-speed trains in Europe also run on the existing, lower speed tracks, allowing them to connect to city centres and provincial towns.

* A better question would be who works in London and....? (MPs. Wink )

** According to Wikipedia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 24 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i3arty is that you, tho?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
So farmers in the middle of knowhere [sic] shouldn't be allowed to cut the verge and hedge back?

no, instead the local parish linesman should appoint an edger and ditcher to do it with hand tools Folded arms
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:41 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The road that goes to where I walk my dog was a lovely bit of smooth and undamaged tarmac. Ridden on it many times
driven on it pretty much daily for a year now. Just been coated with that stone chip crap for absolutely no reason as far as
I can see except to spunk a bit of budget. Yet there are unfilled potholes in other nearby roads. Now the van rumbles along
there when it used to glide. Can't get my head around it. Eh?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:37 - 25 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of random bodging being done up here as well, including turning innies into outies. The weirdest one was scraping off a road surface prior to re-doing it, then just slinging down chips without laying any tarmac. That's a new one on me, and has worked out about as well as you'd imagine.

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:47 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG. Don't get me started on Stone Chips.

WTF do they do for. They always but the "20mph Skid risk" signs out for a couple of weeks whilst the traffic does the councils job in bedding the chips in.

In the meantime it's a death trap to bikes doing any kind of speed but also 4 wheel vehicles.

I live near Skipton West yorkshire and there are 3 or 4 long roads that they cover with these stone chips but they have to do it every year because the chips end up either in a pile at the side of the road or through someones windscreen.

I kid you not, every year they're covering the same roads with the same crap. It doesn't even re-surface the road because the stone chips just follow the contour of the existing road underneath so any holes in the road don't get filled, they just get a covering of chips.

If they did the job right the first time they wouldn't be coming back the next year to do it again.

Rip off Britain strikes again.

There you go.. I'm done.
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose is to seal the surface and reduce water penetration and freeze damage, also to provide a new more grippy wearing surface which is better for all vehicles.
The solid layer of tarmac they lay periodically helps level the surface but has poor grip quality.
It's also very expensive and slow to do, resulting in longer road closures, consequently postponed wherever possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:01 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

the stone chip roads are roads im genuinely scared of. If they dont put a sign before it (which they dont often do) its a deathtrap

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:15 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
The purpose is to seal the surface and reduce water penetration and freeze damage

That's what I don't get. How can throwing down fousands of randomly sized pebbles do anything except produce a porous surface that absolutely will absorb water, freeze, and keep coming apart?

I get that tarmac is slippery, but aggregate by itself goes from slippery to rutted to buggery quicker than Tommy Robinson went from arrest to solitary.

Some of the roads around here are still like cart tracks after last winter.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
goes from slippery to rutted to buggery quicker than Tommy Robinson went from slippery to rutted to buggery.

FTFY

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
doggone wrote:
The purpose is to seal the surface and reduce water penetration and freeze damage

That's what I don't get. How can throwing down fousands of randomly sized pebbles do anything except produce a porous surface that absolutely will absorb water, freeze, and keep coming apart?

Could be something to do with the tar layer sprayed on first for them to stick to? Thinking
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:38 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Lots of random bodging being done up here as well, including turning innies into outies. The weirdest one was scraping off a road surface prior to re-doing it, then just slinging down chips without laying any tarmac. That's a new one on me, and has worked out about as well as you'd imagine.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:40 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

they've done the same down here just resurfaced the roads with stone chips but haven't filled the fucking potholes Evil or Very Mad
they're nicer looking now but they're still fucking potholes Brick Wall

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pothole Problems https://imgur.com/gallery/rkrj3
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 299 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1