BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Unrestricted A Test Mod 1

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:32 - 08 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a load of bollocks this bloody A2-A test is, with all the crap of needing a bike under 47bhp for one test and over 47bhp for the other. IMO if you can ride a bike safety and with good control and ride within all UK traffic laws, you can ride no matter if it's a 47bhp bike or a 147bhp bike.

Surely a smart instructor and examiner knows this too, and presumably they are very tired of taking their students through this protracted system of Bullshit. And I expect they only turn up for work and go along with it just to keep their job/livelihood.

As for the crap about your supposed to only ride a <47bhp to the test centre yourself, but then magicaly produce an over 47bhp for the test and make it legal with paper work, again examiners must know it's all Bullshit and a big fiddle. I wouldn't even think or worry about it, and spend no time pretending to do nothing to your bike in the car park etc.

If I were the examiner I would not give a shit about the power or size of your bike, as long as it's in a safe condition, and legal all I'd want to do is see you ride competently so I could hurry up and give you a piece of paper with a big A on the front.

There's no way I'd be encouraging a young Stevo or anyone else to get a full bike licence in this fucked up European system of today, that's killing new rider numbers and bike sales.

I read in MCN last week about a bloke that always wanted to ride bikes, and from 17-22 he had three different bikes, all to satisfy these silly hoops, and was paying £2000 for A2 insurance, and yet he didn't ever think of giving up as he just wanted to ride bikes and did whatever it took to get there.

There's rightfully not going to be too many of the above example who would go to these lengths over 5-6years just to do the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 08 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, massive palava and probably the main reason I voted Brexit Laughing The examiners occasionally have chips on their shoulders from my experience so I don't fancy risking just riding the bike in and them turning me away, not major hassle pushing it 20m into the test center.

Luckily the insurance is only £100, not a chance I'd pay 2k for any insurance Shocked

Thanks for the info pinkyfloyd spot on!

I bought a rigid L plate for the front but there's no way of mounting it easily, would I be okay to use a sticky one on the front fairing?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 08 Jun 2018    Post subject: L plate Reply with quote

Yes. On fairing screen will do. Don't sticky it on, glue is a bastard to get off. Use cheap leccy tape around edges. Muchos easier to clean little bit of glue off.

eifion
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:18 - 08 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For mod1, ride bike in, park, walk round corner. Take helmet off, turn round, walk back to test centre.

"yeah I came on the bus, my mate rode it here for me, I met him round the corner for him to lend me his jacket and helmet"

Leaving the test centre is the reversal of arriving.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:10 - 08 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

eifion wrote:

Leaving after Mod 2 should be done on one wheel.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 08 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
eifion wrote:

Leaving after Mod 2 should be done on one wheel.

Arrive on a stoppie;
Leave on a wheelie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:27 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Lots of angry stuff

There has been talk about the upgrade from A2 to full A being done with a training school rather than a separate set of tests. Instead of Mod 1 and 2 again you would have an assessment ride to see if you are safe enough to upgrade. Basically a CBT type ride.

It would make things better for riders wishing to upgrade as many schools charge full DAS prices and demand the 3 day course. We dont but it seems we are one of the minority that do not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:46 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does make sense. If you've jumped through DVSA Derek's hoops once, there's really not much point in doing it again on a more capable bike.

But those proposals are a lonnnnng way from fruition, and I imagine the Sir Humphreys will have a thing or two to say about them.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be the common sense approach and it would work for most people too!

A test is a test though and it should not matter which type or size of bike people use to take it, to an extent.

I do get that you can't really teach advanced police style road craft or other advanced fast, safe smooth and efficient progress style riding to someone with a CG 125 etc.

Im also all for say 5-10 yr re-testing for riders, as instructors will know that there are 1000's of sporadic riders out there who just don't cover miles or gain much experience of ever changing busier traffic conditions, and also types of traffic as time goes on.

A sensible priced day or so of observed riding, and or a suitable test is something I'd be all for and very happy to sign myself up for too.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I retract my comment that examiners are nobbers...

Just got back from DIY'ing my MOD 1 and got 0 faults! I actually felt less nervous than when I had an instructor because I wasn't risking about £120.

I went for the 'ride in, walk out, walk in again' method, the examiner said he didn't see me come in but he 'guessed'. Laughing I think he understands how ridiculous these laws are and gave me the benefit of the doubt. Thumbs Up

I would recommend anyone hesitant about DIY'ing it to give it a go.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats dude.

Hardest part done with.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 271 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2