Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBF600-SA fuel gauge

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mr A
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:24 - 29 May 2018    Post subject: CBF600-SA fuel gauge Reply with quote

Hi, not sure if this has been posted already, as I haven't found anything using the search...

I recently bought a Honda CBF600-SA, and there is no fuel gauge, just a light that comes on when it goes into reserve. I found this very annoying and I feel paranoid, that I will get stranded one day once running on reserve on my way to the nearest petrol station.

Anyone has installed an aftermarket fuel gauge? How accurate are they, and was it easy to install? I mean self install or does it need a mechanic to have it installed?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 29 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'd need more than just the gauge I reckon
without a matching sender in the tank, it would just be an ornament.

There may well be kits available.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:10 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do what everyone else with no gauge does, reset your trip computer every time you fill up, then when you see the reserve light come on (or for those of us without even a reserve light, wait till the engine coughs and flick to reserve tank) then look at the trip meter, that will then tell you how many miles you expect to get to a tank

All you have to do then is make sure you fill up before you get to that point........ simples

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:55 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had fuel gauges on four bikes but I still reset the trip meter.
Bike fuel gauges are never accurate enough to mean anything worthwhile due to the shape of the tank and sloshing fuel. They are dampened to show an average but more likely to get you into bother if relied on.
Get the reset the trip meter habit.
You can corroborate your warning light with the trip meter.
I think most lights come on at 25% fuel or maybe 20 odd miles range before Putt putt putt ...... Crying or Very sad

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:08 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bikes with no reserve, the only way is the trip, it works

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:11 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bikes with no reserve, the only way is the trip, it works

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be looking at stuff like the first two items on the link below
and researching the viability of fitting to the cbf600sa
Wiring will be easy bit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=cbf+600+fuel+gaige&_sacat=0

Mr A
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:29 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys.

I did reset the trip counter when I last filled up. I think I did about 156 miles...before the refill, but the reserve light was already on for a few miles, and was getting paranoid about not been able to reach the petrol station...actually got out of the A road to look for a petrol station.

If the light in general comes on at approx 25% of remaining fuel, that would already give me an indication on how many miles I have left before I have to push it Smile

I will check the Ebay links

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a bike with a fuel gauge in a long time, can't say I care at all Surprised Once you know what miles the light comes on you effectively have your fuel gauge in the trip, obviously if you are out on a sunny sunday and are flat out all day it will come on a lot earlier. The light can come on my KTM at 100 miles, or 170, it really depends on what I've been up to, just part of knowing your bike, nothing complicated. I would not faff about trying to retrofit a gauge, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 30 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Just do what everyone else with no gauge does, reset your trip computer every time you fill up, then when you see the reserve light come on (or for those of us without even a reserve light, wait till the engine coughs and flick to reserve tank) then look at the trip meter, that will then tell you how many miles you expect to get to a tank

All you have to do then is make sure you fill up before you get to that point........ simples

there is no reserve on the CBF's......

I use a CBF500 for courier work, because I can only do 170 miles without running out of fuel I've got into the habit of topping up every evening so every morning I have a full tank. I do about 90 to 100 miles a day so there is no way I can run out of fuel unless I have a leak.

Mr A
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:54 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies guys. Decided to stick with the trip option. Will check the mileage 3 times and do an average Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1