Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Currently doing A2 > A

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sam Millar
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:44 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Currently doing A2 > A Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask a few questions. I've been advised that I will need my theory certificate to be in date if I want to progress from my A2 > A. As I technically already have a 'Full UK License' albeit with a power restriction, I was under the impression the theory test I sat in 2014 would do me. Can someone clarify this? I passed my motorcycle theory in Sep 2016 and I then passed my 'A2' in July of 2016. Do I need to sit another theory to be able to go and sit my 'A' now?

I'm 24 and will be 25 in July.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. You won't once you pass the 2year point in July.
Pjay This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Confusing). Unhide this post / all posts.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a new licence attempt. Theory still needed. Answer perfectly clear.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
It's a new licence attempt. Theory still needed. Answer perfectly clear.

He has a full motorcycle licence, which means he has passed the relevant theory test. There is no requirement for him to sit another.

And Roger, FYI, he doesn't need to wait 2 years, he is 25, he could have sat the full A licence last year, just producing his A2 licence.

Once you pass your Theory, you have 2 years to then pass your test, he did this.

You are both now confusing the poor chap, when he doesn't need to pass another Theory test at all.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:01 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Holding an A2 means you have passed the motorcycle theory, it has nothing to do with 2 years.

Sadly, not the case. Kentol is right.

You always need a theory pass within the last two years, except in the specific case of doing progressive access from A2 to A.

Progressive access means doing A Mod 1 at least 2 years after passing A2 Mod 2. As OP passed in July 2016[*], he would currently be doing direct rather than progressive access, and requires a theory pass.

I know this makes no Goddamn sense, but... Sir Humphrey says.

[*] Something else that makes no sense is:

Sam Millar wrote:
I passed my motorcycle theory in Sep 2016 and I then passed my 'A2' in July of 2016

Garbage in, garbage out.

If you meant motorcycle theory in 2015 then it's expired and you'll either need to do it again, or wait until 2 years after you passed A2.

If you meant something else, let us know and after we're done handbagging each other, we can sort you out.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you upgrade before the 2 years are up you need a valid theory test.
As originally stated.
Just got Borged!

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Pjay wrote:
Holding an A2 means you have passed the motorcycle theory, it has nothing to do with 2 years.

Sadly, not the case. Kentol is right.

You always need a theory pass within the last two years, except in the specific case of doing progressive access from A2 to A.

Progressive access means doing A Mod 1 at least 2 years after passing A2 Mod 2. As OP passed in July 2016[*], he would currently be doing direct rather than progressive access, and requires a theory pass.

I know this makes no Goddamn sense, but... Sir Humphrey says.

[*] Something else that makes no sense is:

Sam Millar wrote:
I passed my motorcycle theory in Sep 2016 and I then passed my 'A2' in July of 2016

Garbage in, garbage out.

If you meant motorcycle theory in 2015 then it's expired and you'll either need to do it again, or wait until 2 years after you passed A2.

If you meant something else, let us know and after we're done handbagging each other, we can sort you out.

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-theory-test/pass-mark-and-result

Your pass certificate number lasts for 2 years. You need to pass both modules of the motorcycle test in that time, otherwise you’ll have to pass the theory test again.

I know someone that passed on a 125 giving them A1, they used that theory pass to take their Full A test.

Sam Millar
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:05 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant I had passed my Theory in 2014, and then past my ‘A2’ a couple of months before the two year expiry.

My question was do I now need to sit another theory test before I can sit my Mod1 or Mod2 tests for my ‘A’?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Yes. Unless you wait for the 2 year period to finish. So, it depends how desperate to get it done before then.

Sam Millar
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:20 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does a valid theory have to be current for Mod1 or can I do that and wait until I’ve completed two years as an A2 rider and then do my Mod2 without having to sit another theory?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Theory Reply with quote

You need the theory for mod 1. Have you looked into booking a test, you can't book and put your name to a test without a theory pass against your name on the system.

Sam Millar
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:27 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first assessment today with a local school, he said there was no issues what so ever and when we got back to the school there had been a cancellation and he asked if I wanted it. I said yes as we had previously been talking about tests and he said I'd be waiting into middle of July for a Mod1.

Looks like i'm gonna have to phone and cancel on it! So if I wait until I've been passed my A2 for two years, I no longer have to sit the tests or just have a theory?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Test Reply with quote

Once you pass the 2 year point, you can then do a mod 1 and mod 2 on a full power bike, without needing the theory test. (Didn't the instructor try to put your driver number to the mod 1?)

Sam Millar
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:23 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I think he just pencilled me into it as I was under the impression my theory was till valid until I got home and checked. I'll be calling him first thing tomorrow to let him know that's not the case.

Will just wait it out as it's only about a month or so until I've passed the two year mark.

I can't believe how silly it is about having to sit these tests again. I passed on a restricted MT07 and will be taking the tests on unrestricted MT07s. The exact same tests on the same bikes, albeit unrestricted - but you hardly use the top end of the power on a test. Rolling Eyes

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:30 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol pretty much covered it and ass Rogerborg said. It is something that makes no sense.

If you are upgrading from A2 to full A and have held a full A2 licence for 2 years or longer then you do not need a valid theory test.

If you are upgrading due to age and have not held your A2 licence for 2 years or longer then you must have a valid theory test.

From the looks you either have to wait a little longer or resit a theory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:40 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
ass Rogerborg

Shocked Crying or Very sad

The thing is, I reckon it's entirely up to DVSA Derek on the day whether he lets the test go ahead.

Derek may not know about the insane situation of there inevitably being a period when your theory has expired but you're not quite eligible for A2 -> A progressive access.

Or Derek may not care, because it is insane. I mean, think about it: waiting another month for you to forget even more about what you learned for the theory test means that... you don't need to re-do the theory test. Brick Wall

If you were DIYing it, I might gamble £15.50 on mod 1 to find out, but if you're paying a training school, I'd want to be sure.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Test Reply with quote

OP, the easiest thing to do is to ask the instructor to try and put your driver number against the test. It should flag up if you have no theory pass. If you get on the system, you go for the test. Chances are the school can cancel if not the case. Doesn't cost to try and book it. After that, it's your money to turn up and see if Rogerborg's theory works.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:54 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warranty void where applicable.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1