Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

new car Q

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Dear Auntie BCF... by G (30 May 2018 - 09:46)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 01:14 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Turbo petrols drink very heavily when driven hard

Yes, they did, but where do people still drive cars hard? Outside of car adverts, we live in a congested mess of 3rd world roads festooned with tax cameras and vans on every spot that might otherwise be fun.

If you're doing rep-man motorway miles, sure, go diesel, and fite a laser detector.

For the rest of us, a small petrol engine fitted with a small turbo, and driven with the boost mostly off apart from occasional brief spurts of acceleration does make sense.

I know two folk with Octavia 1.4 petrol turbos who reckon they're getting 40mpg+ in stop-start urban and over 50 on motorways, and the plural of anecdote is data. Folded arms

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:04 - 02 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, I get what your saying, and we are in the twilight hours of both being able to get around on the congested UK gridlock/road network, and in the dying days of ICE as well as being generally poorer in real terms with fuel costs and driving costs trying to persuade us off the roads.

The romanticism of the downsized engine filling all shoes, well at least bigger engine performance/ good mpg and most importantly allowing manufacturers to lazily meet CO2 limits with petrol engines for a few years longer. They've never claimed great sound tracks, or character or awesome drivability, as they hit those hurdles hard enough to flat face.

But back on point I had a Nissan micra 0.8L turbo for my holidays, and taking it on a spirited drive over dartmoor and bodmin with luggage, as well as short dashing around hilly cornish roads I was getting 34-37mpg. That's pathetic for the size of engine, but in an 1100kg car that has 1.3L+ performance and had to be worked hard, as well as an on boost turbo needing buckets of fuel for engine safety at WOT it's about right? And of course Nissan say about 64mpg average. It did show to me that it's easy to expose the limitations of a downsized engine.

Not for me really. I'll keep buying and owning older cars that I have the choice between high revving 16v screaming naps, sexy sounding smooth 6cylinder cruisers, or V8 thunder. And if I do have anything turbo it will have no considerations towards emissions (need to run em very rich aka cool) and a proper old school non electronic wastegate power delivery.

Oh and I'm very much of the if you've got the right usage and driving distances for them that diesels are still our friends too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:24 - 04 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrol for the op, every time.

In fact, given that ypu arent really doing any mileage go a bit further and get a 335i /435i.

Personally im doing about 2000 - 2500 miles a month. 80% motorway. My spreadsheet tells me im getting about 55mpg average across all trips in a 2.0tdi which isnt bad really - but ill often do 40 miles of motorway at 68mph without changing speed once. It's a lot of things, but fun isnt one of them.

This works out about 11p a mile, which is the rate my company pay as its the suggested HMRC fuel cost rate (thanks HMRC).

Diesel just about makes sense for me with the above, on the basis that in two to three years ill probably replace it anyway (with petrol or ev) if its not enviro taxed off the road before that point.

If it wasn't for that id be driving something more interesting. In your case theres no way Id go diesel.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:44 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl10 wrote:
This works out about 11p a mile, which is the rate my company pay as its the suggested HMRC fuel cost rate (thanks HMRC).

https://i.imgur.com/d9FD968.png

Apparently they'd pay you more for riding a pushbike. Eh?

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:48 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh noes!

I just bought a 2009 bmw 330d. Getting remapped next week which should see it near 300bhp.

It's main use is a 120 mile round trip once or twice a weekend. I get about 45mpg without trying before the remap.

I never go anywhere near a shcity on weekends.

I drive a diesel skoda company car which is just over 2 years old and on about 115k miles, so it's handy having a diesel personal car ( Wink )

But it still sounds like I'm going to loose thousands of pounds in the next few days, break down every 20 minutes with dpf issues and never pass an mot again. Then eventually kill myself because I bought a diesel.

Rolling Eyes

When/if the company changes from diesel vehicles I may change my weekend car. Many of these cars are uses in cities.

Until then I can't think of any 300bhp / 600nm of torque petrol cars that do 45mpg.
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking hate to say it, but in the real world it'll spank the shit out of your old Rover 220 turbo, and as a Rover relic owner thats a gut punch that leaves me winded.

Not sure on the 0-100mph time on these, but they'll have far better grip and traction and composure than the 15second Rover by a massive understatement.

Enjoy your new beast, just do a 1/2 interval oil&filter change if you want to be kind, use a splash of decent diesel fuel and don't forget to give it bootful every so often to burn out the soot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:27 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rogerborg"]
owl10 wrote:

Apparently they'd pay you more for riding a pushbike. Eh?

Sort of.

They pay the govt recommended fuel rate:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/advisory-fuel-rates/advisory-fuel-rates-from-1-march-2016

At the end of the financial year I complete a Mileage allowance relief claim. 45p hmrc rate minus the 11p ive been paid (34p). Then times that by the number of miles i did = the milegae allowance relief claim value.

Times that value by my rate of tax = the amount thst then gets paid back directly. fill in a form and wait a few months for the cheque.

Can only do that for a temporary site apparently.

But if the value im claiming relief in is over 2.5k (it is) i have to do a full self assessment.

Its a right PITA; but why have a sensible system when govt uk can create a few paper pushing civil servant non jobs instead.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
I too have a half dead Astra and have been looking at cars.
Newer Astra 1.6T seems the best balance of power/toys over money.
New shape Focus ST if the budget is pushed over £10k, purely because they seem to be barely depreciating.
And finally, for about £14k, Mercedes C250. They had just about abandoned petrol engines but then magically revived them around three years ago.

Took my own advice and got myself the Astra. Found one for decent money that had barely any miles on the clock.

Next week I’ll be posting a workshop thread when I try and fail to install the non-gtc stereo that has Bluetooth and sat nav, which didn’t seem to be an option in the gtc until about 2-3 years ago.

Brief research suggests that they can be remapped for another 30 horses, but there’s a good chance that the gearbox will fall off.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you can't apply one rule across all cars, but I'm not convinced by these people that think it's cake and eat it, by having a simple one modification (remap) done that'll transform their bike/car/van/truck etc and make it much better to drive and keep it OEM reliable too.

If you don't want you lose warranties, don't modify it's that simple! If you do want to modify then target the weakest or most handicapped part of your vehicle first.

If we are talking engine tuning, I was brought up on the principle of air in, get as much energy out of it as possible, and then get it out as quickly as possible. I think optimisation of fueling and ignition comes last once you've changed physical parts and actually improved any of the above.

Tamsin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my diesel car, it suits what I do fantastically. But in your circumstance then definately petrol
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 292 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2