Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MOT and renewal

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Samsbike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:37 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: MOT and renewal Reply with quote

My MOT renews in August, and I cannot afford it so am putting the bike in storage.

However I was going to get the MOT done now and that way when I get it out of storage its ready to use. Will the new MOT start from now or from August?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:51 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get the MOT done now then the new MOT will start from now rather than in August.

You can get it done up to one month early and keep the same renewal date.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As MOD Ste says and:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018

New stricter MOT.

If it fails you can retest free within a time limit next working day.

https://mottesting.org.uk/mot-retest-information-fail.html

My last bike MOT the fukcing Piece of Shite failed on the condition of the rear tyre. About 10" of shit was missing/riped off the hardwear centre. Embarassed

I checked the beast in my garage but the bad bit of tyre was the bit the hoowur was sitting on.

Pre-check:

Tyres min 1mm (for bikes) and roll the stupid thing back and forwards.

Lights fitted must work.

No race can.

Brakes and steering in good condition. Not all stations use a rolling road brake test some still use a spring balance doofur.

If not MOT'd you should think about SORNing the bastart too or the Welsh cnuts will 'AUTO/Central Computer Records' fine you. Taffy fcukers... Mad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:23 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: MOT and renewal Reply with quote

Samsbike wrote:
[I won't have £30 in August but I've got £30 now]

Is what I just read.

I'm somewhat confused.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: MOT and renewal Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Samsbike wrote:

Is what I just read.

I'm somewhat confused.

I thought it was just me reading it that way, but i am clearly not alone

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:05 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

If not MOT'd you should think about SORNing the bastart too or the Welsh cnuts will 'AUTO/Central Computer Records' fine you. Taffy fcukers... Mad

How so? I always thought no MOT was a using offence rather than the case with tax and insurance which are keeping offences. So you can only be done for no MOT if the bike is on the road whereas you can be done for no tax or insurance at any point.

For what it's worth, I did over 500 miles on the motorway network last weekend on a bike with no MOT (they couldn't fit it in in time at my local place and I'm fucked if I'm sitting at home on a sunny weekend because of it).

I've yet to see in what way the "new" mot is in any way stricter than the old one.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: MOT and renewal Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Samsbike wrote:

Is what I just read.

I'm somewhat confused.

Yeah, couldn't you just put the £30 in storage until August instead?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: MOT and renewal Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

Well I think it means:
Samsbike wrote:
My MOT renews in August, and I cannot afford it to run the bike at the moment so am putting the bike in storage

Sometime I find posting in BCF a bit like doing a cryptic crossword puzzle

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:51 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: MOT and renewal Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Well I think it means:
Samsbike wrote:
My MOT renews in August, and I cannot afford it to run the bike at the moment so am putting the bike in storage

Could be. I was wondering if it means that they could wanted to save VED over the winter, but if insurance and/or VED is about to run out nowish, that would make more sense.

But... why not just insure, VED and MOT it in the future when the Scratch Card investment finally pays off?

Samsbike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:15 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: MOT and renewal Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
I won't have £30 in August but I've got £30 now

OK very funny, my bad.

Its the insurance that I am having trouble with. My current insurance runs out in a week or two, so was hoping to get the bike MOTed now and then when I finally move to a place with a garage, get the bike out then.

thanks for all the input, will try and do the MOT now

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:19 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the advantage of getting the MOT done now rather than in August?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:24 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MCN wrote:

How so? I always thought no MOT was a using offence rather than the case with tax and insurance which are keeping offences. So you can only be done for no MOT if the bike is on the road whereas you can be done for no tax or insurance at any point.

For what it's worth, I did over 500 miles on the motorway network last weekend on a bike with no MOT (they couldn't fit it in in time at my local place and I'm fucked if I'm sitting at home on a sunny weekend because of it).

I've yet to see in what way the "new" mot is in any way stricter than the old one.

APNRists are the problem. It's worth £100 to the bastarts.

I was victimised by the cnuts in an unmarked plodmobile last july or was it the year before?

And sometimes you wullnae ken until the brown envelope is forced through your letter box.

By all means use it but the OP is anxious so the advice was purely for his benefit. Thinking

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: MOT and renewal Reply with quote

Samsbike wrote:

Its the insurance that I am having trouble with. My current insurance runs out in a week or two

In that case definitely make sure you SORN it or you'll get a "fine" for "no continuous insurance"

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:51 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
What's the advantage of getting the MOT done now rather than in August?

When he finally moves to a garage with an insurance, he can get the bike out then. Durrr.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the owner of a GB vehicle parked on a road without valid MOT can be caught and fined using ANPR, I mean parked on a road not driven, have I got that right?

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:37 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
So the owner of a GB vehicle parked on a road without valid MOT can be caught and fined using ANPR, I mean parked on a road not driven, have I got that right?

Yes, to be left on a public highway a vehicle must be taxed, insured and MOT'd. Whether being driven or not.

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 09 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom_e wrote:

Yes, to be left on a public highway a vehicle must be taxed, insured and MOT'd. Whether being driven or not.
kin hell, that is a bit of an overkill but not overly surprising, I mean how can a stationary vehicle cause any damage to warrant needing insurance and an MOT.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:04 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
kin hell, that is a bit of an overkill but not overly surprising, I mean how can a stationary vehicle cause any damage to warrant needing insurance and an MOT.

It can be a dismantled pile of spare parts sitting in boxes in the corner of a warehouse on an industrial estate and if it has no insurance, you are comitting an offence for which you can be fined in court. I should know...

It only needs an MOT if it's physically on the road.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:11 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonzoomer wrote:
, I mean how can a stationary vehicle cause any damage to warrant needing insurance and an MOT.

Never been crashed into or had one stolen? Leaving on a public road would allow both of those, lol if you aren't insured.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

moonzoomer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 10 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

It can be a dismantled pile of spare parts sitting in boxes in the corner of a warehouse on an industrial estate and if it has no insurance, you are comitting an offence for which you can be fined in court. I should know...

It only needs an MOT if it's physically on the road.
Jesus H , I have 7 bikes in various stages of rebuilds or in boxes at the moment , all I had to do was SORN the bikes, no need for insurance or MOT even if they were in one piece parked on the road but they would need to have valid VED.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: mot Reply with quote

My last bike MOT the fukcing Piece of Shite failed on the condition of the rear tyre. About 10" of shit was missing/riped off the hardwear centre. Embarassed

I checked the beast in my garage but the bad bit of tyre was the bit the hoowur was sitting on.

so you checked it over before submitting it for an MOT test then, knowing it would be checked ??
:karma:
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 292 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1