Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Your gona slate me but... which oil.. Synth or semi?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:12 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Your gona slate me but... which oil.. Synth or semi? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Sorry for yet another oil question but there's soooo many posts on oil and I'm brain ragged as to which to use because so many people have so many facts and opinions.

At least my Bike and situation could be taken into account if I ask the question.

My bike is a K3 GSXR 1000 with 17k on the clock. It's due oil and filter change. I normally use Putoline 10/40 semi but I'm considering going fully synthetic for the reported smoother gear changes.

I commute a 36 mile round trip for 10 months of the year with a good few weekend twisty thrashes.

Just tell me... Do I just shut the F**k up about oil and carry on as I am or could anyone give me good enough true reason to go fully synthetic.

Much appreciated.

Gary
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:00 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Your gona slate me but... which oil.. Synth or semi? Reply with quote

TheGazWaz wrote:
Sorry for yet another oil question but there's soooo many posts on oil and I'm brain ragged as to which to use because so many people have so many facts and opinions.

Fortunately this oil thread will be the oil thread to end all oil threads.

Normally I say whatever semi synthetic 10W-40 is cheapest and nearest, but on an actual performance bike that isn't already shagged out, I'd spring the extra for full synthetic.

Not that I think it really needs it. Suzuki-san just say any SF or SG SAE 10W-40, with 3,500 mile changes, and anything you can buy today will comfortably exceed that. But for the difference in price, I reckon I'd treat it to what it deserves. I'm awfully generous with other people's money.

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:20 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the quick reply Rogerborg.

For the extra few quid I can only see benefits of using fully synthetic.

Certainly don't know of any negatives.

Seems daft not to.

Gaz
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the difference in price? Are you happy to spend the extra fiver (guestimate) per oil change? If so, crack on lad.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difference is that fully synthetic will stay in Grade throughout its life. Non synthetic molecule chains are disrupted in-service so it loses protective 'phisical/mechanical' properties.
All oil can degrade chemically over time in service due to the effects of components of fuel, temperature and friction but synthetic can resist the mechanical destruction.
It's a mixture of what you can afford and real measured benefits.

I use the best, maybe just for peace of mind.

The best oil is possibly best. I know from experience that fully synthetic in a diesel car meant less frequent top UPS (Honda Prelude 2.4) supermarket blend needed a top up every 1000 miles. Mobil full synthetic every 3000 miles. I was surprised to notice the extreme difference my self.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good try, 7/10. Thumbs Up

Oils made with synthetic base oils need less viscosity modifier in them to resist temperature-induced thinning. It is the VM that shears (mechanically breaks down), hence a synthetic oil will tend to resist it more by virtue or having less VM in it. Base oil molecules themselves are very shear resistant, whether synthetic or mineral types.

To OP - if you can pony up for a decent synthetic oil then give it a go and see if the shifts get smoother.

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:54 - 05 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, oil! Fascinating. Could the OP use 5W-40 fully synthetic rather than 10W-40?

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:13 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WmY wrote:
Oh, oil! Fascinating. Could the OP use 5W-40 fully synthetic rather than 10W-40?

I’d say yes, but the bike’s user manual may disagree.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:20 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30730/base-oil-formulations

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:44 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the info.

Just looking around I'm finding that the price difference doesn't seem to be that much.

I generally pay around £35 for my oil and £10 for filter. I've seen on fleebay 4L Motul 7100 10w/40 with HF Filter for £45.

Not sure about the 5W/40. I'd need to check my Haynes for that one but I'm thinking one step at a time. Do the Synthetic change first and see how it goes.

If it quietens down my power plant a bit then that would be a bonus. Since I've had the bike around 3.5k under load I get an awful raspy rattle. It gets quieter as the motor warms up. Apparently it's normal and all part of the GSXR ram air experience.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:43 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
WmY wrote:

I’d say yes, but the bike’s user manual may disagree.

As the resident oil man...

I use cheapest 10w40 I can get my hands on, replace filter every 3k and oil every 1.5k.

I've had my 125 get to 77k on 1.5k oil changes with cheapest oil, my GSXR has now had 3 oil changes and 1 filter change and is at 8k from the 4k I bought it on.

I don't use named brands, cos slippy oil is slippy oil, but changing at those intervals, surely my choice of oil is irrelevant. Even the car gets a sub 5k change and bi-annual filter change, so I'd like to assume I'm more on top than the manual states.

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:16 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about using 5W-40? The specs., when looked up, for many oils are confusing. Some are interchangable (e.g. ACEA A3/B4 can be used instaead of ACEA A3/B3 (yes, I know it's not relevant to "grade")) and specificatoins go out of date quite quickly.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
As the resident oil man...

I use cheapest 10w40 I can get my hands on, replace filter every 3k and oil every 1.5k.

I've had my 125 get to 77k on 1.5k oil changes with cheapest oil, my GSXR has now had 3 oil changes and 1 filter change and is at 8k from the 4k I bought it on.

I don't use named brands, cos slippy oil is slippy oil, but changing at those intervals, surely my choice of oil is irrelevant. Even the car gets a sub 5k change and bi-annual filter change, so I'd like to assume I'm more on top than the manual states.

As I've said before, what works for you, works for you. You may not have got every last drop of power/efficiency out of your engine over that period, you may have worn it away by a few nanometres more, you may have been throwing away perfectly serviceable oil, but in the end you have got what you think is what you needed out of the oil and engine. Win I'd say.

The main loser is the poor, suffering environment into which you have been (responsibly) pouring copious amounts of carcinogenic used oil. Plus all the natural resources you have used to make all the oil you are putting through these engines. The crude oil price may well be index linked to your bike useage...? Laughing

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WmY wrote:
What about using 5W-40? The specs., when looked up, for many oils are confusing. Some are interchangable (e.g. ACEA A3/B4 can be used instaead of ACEA A3/B3 (yes, I know it's not relevant to "grade")) and specificatoins go out of date quite quickly.

It is complicated. no question. Ultimately you should be able to match the specifications on the oil you buy with what your manual asks for, but even that isn't a given as time moves on and manuals don't get updated - not everybody knows that API specifications are generally backwards compatible, so if your manual asks for API SG or SH and all you can find is API SM or SN, you can still use it.

The ACEA thing is both more complicated and more sophisticated. ACEA specs are far more onerous than API ones as they cover both petrol and diesel use. A3/B4 is essentially like A3/B3 on steroids, so yes, the A3/B4 can be used in place of A3/B3, but the reverse isn't necessarily true. A3/B3 is pretty rare though, most oils go straight for A3/B4 (and may also add A3/B3 to the label to help people choose).

5W-40 vs 10W-40 means (in very basic terms) that at 100°C (typical working temperature) the two oils are roughly the same viscosity. When cold, the 10W-40 will be thicker than the 5W-40; the 5W-40 will be tested to work at -30°C whereas the 10W-40 will work at -25°C. By "work" I mean will flow acceptably. Because of this, the 5W-40 will tend to use better base oils, which have naturally better cold flow properties - these same base oils will then also offer better overall performance across the operating environment (per MCN's link above). All of this means they tend to be a bit more expensive.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:38 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:

As I've said before, what works for you, works for you. You may not have got every last drop of power/efficiency out of your engine over that period, you may have worn it away by a few nanometres more, you may have been throwing away perfectly serviceable oil, but in the end you have got what you think is what you needed out of the oil and engine. Win I'd say.

The main loser is the poor, suffering environment into which you have been (responsibly) pouring copious amounts of carcinogenic used oil. Plus all the natural resources you have used to make all the oil you are putting through these engines. The crude oil price may well be index linked to your bike useage...? Laughing

I drain it straight into a manhole, out of sight out of mind. (I don't, it goes back into a tub and I use it for lube/sexual purposes/vandalism to badly parked cars)

So in short, I don't see any degradation thats noticeable, so its probably not bad but the all round effects and carnage to environment and the smallest of wear on metal is probably the most obvious thing thats different?

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:43 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
(used oil) use it for lube/sexual purposes/vandalism to badly parked cars)

It's very nasty stuff. A nice old boy I knew who was an MOT man/garage mechanic died of cancer, with exposure to contaminated oil being implicated. Nowadays, they all use gloves. Nitrile ones are far superior to other sorts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:32 - 06 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WmY wrote:
died of cancer

Cancer of the manhole?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:20 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cancer doesn't kill everyone.

I'm still here Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:55 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Cancer doesn't kill everyone.

I'm still here Wink

We have to mock cancer though, because CaNsA isn't. RIP, bruv.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:59 - 07 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

True dat, my best mate had it twice. Once at 7 years old. Full chemo the whole 9 yards and again when he was about 30
which resulted in thyroid gland removal and an awesome full width of the neck scar. He then went on to father a boy so the
treatments didn't stop him from having live rounds in his love gun either.

And on oil, I'm about to use some Mercedes Benz semi synth low ash 10w40 left over from my last van to do an
oil change on the XR125 I'm tinkering with at the mo. Probably later today actually.

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:31 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I now have fully synthetic oil in my bike.

The first thing I noticed was that the oil was a rose colour. The other thing was that it smells quite fragrant. Didn't expect that.

Also don't know why I have this weird instinct to sniff oil when first opened but there you go.

Now then, road to work this morning, still had the tapping for the first 10 minutes of riding and the raspy rattle under load at 3.5k for the fist half hour but I can honestly say the bike feels a whole load smoother.

It changes up and down about the same but instead of a metallic clunk into first from neutral it's more a thud like the gears have been wrapped in cloth before the hammer hits.

At speed everything sounds and feels smoother/softer.

I tried hard to not let this be a placebo effect going on here and I honestly believe the bike feels a lot better.

Win win I think. I'm now trying to think of why fully synth isn't a lot more popular amongst bikers. Price is now negligible.

Cheers all

WmY
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:33 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

(with snips...)
TheGazWaz wrote:
So I now have fully synthetic oil in my bike.

Also don't know why I have this weird instinct to sniff oil when first opened but there you go.

That's good. Re smell, you should try EP90, that smells lovely.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:48 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGazWaz wrote:

I tried hard to not let this be a placebo effect going on here and I honestly believe the bike feels a lot better.

Until I saw that quote, I was going to say, 'Are you aware of the placebo effect?'

Even though you know about it and have tried to take it into account, I challenge you that it is still affecting your perceptions. There is no way a change of oil (if the oil in the bike was decent already) is going to transform the bikes mechanical state. If the old oil was truly dreadful and totally shot, then, yes, but if you have been looking after the oil changes and meeting the quality standards stated by the manufacturer of the bike, it would not be degraded to that extent when you drained it and changed it.

Only my opinion and therefore as worthless as any other random idea on the Internet.... That said. I do believe it. Smile

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:07 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you Tony and I'm inclined to agree with everything you've put and I recon a few more journey's will probably bring me to the same thoughts.

I've always, maybe foolishly, spent good money on oil and this particular change was done 2500 miles ago so under what it should be and I don't race the bike that hard.

I might just want it to make a difference but I'm still sure the bike is smoother. It's like when you've just washed your bike. It definitely goes faster until it gets dirty again.

The engine is quieter than it was and that can be heard more so at idle. No where near as rattly.

We'll see.

Anyone else gone through the 'Change'.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:01 - 11 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's really great GazWaz is that you're enjoying riding it so much and that it feels just right. Not much better than that is there? As for the fragrant smell, I was just put in mind of how we daft lads way back used to tip a bit of Castor Oil into the tank and get a great smell out of the exhaust. I think it might have been called Castrol R.

The daft things we did to make our old nineteen-fifties Beezers 'go better' had to be seen to be believed. Still. I was never happier than rolling down the street, trailing a castor smelling stink and grey haze behind me. I felt like I was King of the Road. Smile)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 313 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1